Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hooker is the guy. For sure the starter in the Fall. - AP

He was not impressed with Bailey or Maurer today.
That’s crazy..... it’s a new system the guys are working with and they have all of summer to get better for the season..... it would be sweet if hooker is a good QB in this system bc his legs would be a huge advantage.

Went to practice, here are my thoughts:

Hooker and Maurer are ahead of Bailey. Maurer made more big plays than Hooker, but the offense seemed to run more smoothly with Hooker. Could be a 1s vs 2s thing. Maurer threw a couple picks, under threw the receiver both times. Think the talk about bringing in another QB is valid.

Defense looked better than I was expecting. Think the DL will play well this year. Thought the secondary and LBs made some nice plays. They ran nickel exclusively from what i could tell. Solon Page, Morven Joseph, and Kwauze Garland got a lot of reps with the 1s. Joseph really flashed.

I think OL and RB will be the strength of the offense this year.

Punt returners fielding kicks were Calloway, Hyatt, and Holiday. Calloway looked the most comfortable.

Thought physicality on both sides of the ball was good, players seem engaged.

Kickers I saw getting reps were McGrath and Wilson. Didn't see Carver, but could have missed him. McGrath and Wilson both had a miss or two during live reps.

Brooks is our best punter, hopefully he stays healthy.

That’s crazy..... it’s a new system the guys are working with and they have all of summer to get better for the season..... it would be sweet if hooker is a good QB in this system bc his legs would be a huge advantage.
Kind of silly to say "for sure" this early. He should be ahead of the other two at this point because of experience.

Defense was mostly in a 3-3-5 with the Buck rolled down to rush mostly. Eason and Young took most of those reps. Add Baron back to the mix and I think that is a solid group. Page, Garland, and Mojo ran Mike and Will. After them, it was mostly Humphrey, Shuler, Valentine, and someone else (Albright?). We need Willis, French, Banks, and Harrison back ASAP. DB’s looked pretty good I thought to be playing a lot more zone than under Pruitt. Garner will have the DL playing better than we have seen in a long time. I think they will be the strength of the D. I didn’t realize we were so injured at WR. The 3rd string was almost all walk-ons.

Defense was mostly in a 3-3-5 with the Buck rolled down to rush mostly. Eason and Young took most of those reps. Add Baron back to the mix and I think that is a solid group. Page, Garland, and Mojo ran Mike and Will. After them, it was mostly Humphrey, Shuler, Valentine, and someone else (Albright?). We need Willis, French, Banks, and Harrison back ASAP. DB’s looked pretty good I thought to be playing a lot more zone than under Pruitt. Garner will have the DL playing better than we have seen in a long time. I think they will be the strength of the D. I didn’t realize we were so injured at WR. The 3rd string was almost all walk-ons.
Eason has really bulked up, big dude

That’s my biggest concern is the offense will be good and the defense will be terrible. I hope I’m proven wrong.

Why would you be upset at this? Last year, our offense and defense were terrible. This year, our defense won’t have to be perfect as long as offense is scoring. It’s exciting football. No more 27-14 losses.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back