Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have to consider we were not far from CBJ getting us almost to Atlanta, and the thought was we needed a coach with experience with the big boys, especially SEC big boys, like GA got with CKS instead of going down to places like Cincinnati or worse places like CDD came from. Based on what Pruitt had done as DC, he really should have been at least as good as CKS. Now we know....
I doubt any first time ever HC would succeed at Tennessee with how things are right now. You have to learn how to manage half your job having nothing to do with football anymore and play a really tough conference schedule every year. Butch was a smart hire, didn't work out. He had the resume, experience, success. Pruitt was a dumb hire from the beginning. I don't even think Venables would succeed here without a stopover at a different school to learn how to manage being a HC.

To your point:

ESPN has us ranked 117 for returning production, 103 on offense, and 107 on defense. It may be interesting to focus on what is driving those rankings.

On offense we return 28% of our passing yards, 46% of our receiving yards, and 14% of our rushing yards.

On defense we return 81% of our secondary production, 94% of our defensive line production, and 27% of our linebacker production.

We return 51% of our wide receiver yards, 100% of our TE receiving yards, and 6% of our running back receiving yards.

edit to add - Just a reminder that the DL this year has a different job than it had in Pruitt's defense. In Pruitt's defense the DL was supposed to keep the blockers off of the linebackers. In Bank's defense the DL will be attackers.. Their production with the change in mission will likely DOUBLE what they had with Pruitt and the production of the linebackers will come close to being cut in half. We are loaded on the DL at every position and in some spots we go 3-deep and with the best coach on the staff. We're going to have an awesome defense. jmo.

With a better QB those number lower a lot on both sides. Way too many 3 and outs which kills your defense stats

I doubt any first time ever HC would succeed at Tennessee with how things are right now. You have to learn how to manage half your job having nothing to do with football anymore and play a really tough conference schedule every year. Butch was a smart hire, didn't work out. He had the resume, experience, success. Pruitt was a dumb hire from the beginning. I don't even think Venables would succeed here without a stopover at a different school to learn how to manage being a HC.
Right now it would be hard for most coaches with experience to succeed.

Reactions: OrangenSC
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back