Tennessee lands Quentin Diboundje

I think Powell proved in very limited time that he was grossly underrated. His list of suitors after his transfer would suggest as much, as well.
Sure, but the concept that a top 50 guy could never match him in his first year is absurd in my mind. Powell played against mostly inferior competition. In 53 minutes against the two SEC teams he scored 6 points on 1-13 shooting. I think he'll be a solid addition, but let's pump the brakes on him a little bit.

Sure, but the concept that a top 50 guy could never match him in his first year is absurd in my mind. Powell played against mostly inferior competition. In 53 minutes against the two SEC teams he scored 6 points on 1-13 shooting. I think he'll be a solid addition, but let's pump the brakes on him a little bit.

Not at all. One year of experience is huge, and Mashak is known more for his defense than offense. One of Powell’s good games was against Memphis, who had the #1 defensive efficiency in country.

To be fair you're the only one that's really implying this. I think Powell's experience running the point at this level will give him an edge. And Powell played against college competition, nothing inferior about that when compared to the HS game. Auburn's OOC wasn't exactly a cake walk, they played Gonzaga, Memphis, Texas Southern, App State and South Alabama all teams that won 17 or more games.

If this was a discussion with both players incoming as true freshmen I'd also give the advantage to the higher rated guy (Mashack). But Powell had a concussion, it was most likely his choice to stop playing more than an inability to do so, I'm sure he still practiced with the team. His 10 games even with the poor showing in the SEC games he still averaged 11.7 ppg, 6.1 rbpg, 4.7 apg. So until they start up practice and staff/media report something different it seems the more experienced guy would have the edge.

I think it'll be a similar situation to Keon/Jaden though where once Mashack establishes comfort in the system his minutes will increase. But having seen Walker essentially get no real playing time in a year that didn't count towards eligibility regardless of how high ranked he is Mashack will have to come in and earn/take minutes, they won't hand him anything.

Reactions: Volfan1000
To be fair you're the only one that's really implying this. I think Powell's experience running the point at this level will give him an edge. And Powell played against college competition, nothing inferior about that when compared to the HS game. Auburn's OOC wasn't exactly a cake walk, they played Gonzaga, Memphis, Texas Southern, App State and South Alabama all teams that won 17 or more games.

If this was a discussion with both players incoming as true freshmen I'd also give the advantage to the higher rated guy (Mashack). But Powell had a concussion, it was most likely his choice to stop playing more than an inability to do so, I'm sure he still practiced with the team. His 10 games even with the poor showing in the SEC games he still averaged 11.7 ppg, 6.1 rbpg, 4.7 apg. So until they start up practice and staff/media report something different it seems the more experienced guy would have the edge.

I think it'll be a similar situation to Keon/Jaden though where once Mashack establishes comfort in the system his minutes will increase. But having seen Walker essentially get no real playing time in a year that didn't count towards eligibility regardless of how high ranked he is Mashack will have to come in and earn/take minutes, they won't hand him anything.
Difference is Rick values defense. Mashack will theoretically bring that. Obviously just two games, but that 11ppg probably wasn't going to hold up on SEC play just like victor bailey's didn't for us, particularly since Cooper was going to take a lot of time from him regardless.

I read that the concussion was pretty serious and that's why he didn't play. You certainly can't practice with a concussion. Look at Dellalodova for the Cavs this year, he missed two months or more with a concussion.

Regardless, it was 10 games, I'll use the Bailey analogy again. We have no idea what his PPG would've been like after the tougher part of their schedule. From his small sample size, it probably was going to go down.

Mashack also is not going to run the point at all. His job will be far simpler. Hit open shots, play defense. That has to help significantly. We have enough ball handlers that he won't be asked to do that.

Yes I'm the only one implying that, I was the one that said he'd get 5-10 minutes a game at most.

I mean, maybe I missed it, but did someone say that Mashack could never match him? I don't remember seeing that. I don't see any more reason to pump the breaks on Powell than I would on Mashack from your perspective.

Despite being a top-50 player, Mashack is a lower middle class version of Keon Johnson. A lot of potential, great defender, strong, and a little unrefined offensively. He will contribute next year, probably as much as 15 mpg, but won't be heavily relied upon to score, immediately. Powell was brought in to be a scorer (shooter).

I mean, maybe I missed it, but did someone say that Mashack could never match him? I don't remember seeing that. I don't see any more reason to pump the breaks on Powell than I would on Mashack from your perspective.

Despite being a top-50 player, Mashack is a lower middle class version of Keon Johnson. A lot of potential, great defender, strong, and a little unrefined offensively. He will contribute next year, probably as much as 15 mpg, but won't be heavily relied upon to score, immediately. Powell was brought in to be a scorer (shooter).
5-10 mins, if that for Mashack
See above

I don't think he'll be a big time scorer. I think he'll average 15-20 minutes, and around 8ppg. He's here for defense, and can score off cuts and from 3. That's all I expect. I don't expect Powell to come in and average more than 11ppg on a much deeper team than he played on last year. I think he'll be solid, but he's almost certainly coming off the bench here. I don't see him supplanting Bailey, Jo, or Santi as a starter, particularly since the second unit could use a better PG than we had this year.

See above

I don't think he'll be a big time scorer. I think he'll average 15-20 minutes, and around 8ppg. He's here for defense, and can score off cuts and from 3. That's all I expect. I don't expect Powell to come in and average more than 11ppg on a much deeper team than he played on last year. I think he'll be solid, but he's almost certainly coming off the bench here. I don't see him supplanting Bailey, Jo, or Santi as a starter, particularly since the second unit could use a better PG than we had this year.
I mostly agree. 8 ppg is probably Mashack's ceiling and a little higher than I'd predict, but not grossly unrealistic. I do think that Powell is a starter, however. Maybe not immediately depending on what kind of offseason the team is afforded, but eventually I think he's the starter at one of the wing positions, and that is especially if we decide to play small with JJJ at the 4.

See above

I'd certainly hope he could supplant Bailey. He can probably run the point better, seems to be the better shooter and decision maker, better rebounder. Granted that is with some projection for Powell but Bailey hurt us a lot this last year aside from some really hot games

Reactions: cncchris33
I like QDE as a player, but he seems a bit redundant with Mashack coming along in the same class.[/QUOTE
getting points from your bench is a good thing. Not having to play players 30+ minutes a game is great as well. Just see how the team can stumble when one of the starters is out of you don’t have a deep bench of equal or near equal talent .

I mostly agree. 8 ppg is probably Mashack's ceiling and a little higher than I'd predict, but not grossly unrealistic. I do think that Powell is a starter, however. Maybe not immediately depending on what kind of offseason the team is afforded, but eventually I think he's the starter at one of the wing positions, and that is especially if we decide to play small with JJJ at the 4.
I guess that's the thing, if Jo plays at the 4 then I could see it, if not then I don't see it

I think Mashack will be close to what JJJ was in his first year, he won't see as many MPG probably but I'd say the "per 40" stats could be close to the same.

JJJ's freshmen per 40 stats:
View attachment 361119

I think we'll see more minutes over 8 to 10 guys this season without guys that are clearly starters like we had in Pons/Keon/Springer. Unless something crazy happens and we're not healthy I'll be surprised if we finish with anyone clocking 30+ mpg.
We all thought this last year yet 7 guys got most all the important minutes. Not sure if CRB will ever play more than 8 guys consistently

We all thought this last year yet 7 guys got most all the important minutes. Not sure if CRB will ever play more than 8 guys consistently
I think they’d like to be able to go 8-9 but it’s having guys he can trust...it’s why I’ve been a big fan of pursuing Tyreke Key, I think he’d come in and be a guy that Barnes could count on and give us 10-15mpg

He's done it before...last year was actually the first time in a long time only 7 guys got more than 10mpg.

I'd certainly hope he could supplant Bailey. He can probably run the point better, seems to be the better shooter and decision maker, better rebounder. Granted that is with some projection for Powell but Bailey hurt us a lot this last year aside from some really hot games
I expect Bailey to improve. And with w true PG coming in it will be a big benefit for him. This past year was a bit of a cluster w how we tried to use our guards and how different they were. I think that caused much of his inconsistencies on offense. Bigger question to me is how their defenses compare. That’s clearly a major factor for Barnes. Powell obviously had a smaller sample size but despite some poor defensive play at times by Bailey he still had better defensive numbers. Obviously a lot can change but I’d expect Bailey to have the leg up on Powell to start off. However at this point it looks like it won’t matter much as they’ll both probably get as much playing time as they can handle

As of right now....

Starters: Chandler, Santi, Bailey, JJJ, Fulky (my current guess)
Bench guys who get minutes: Mashack, Powell, Olivier

I think Powell could beat out Bailey for that spot, but it could also be Mashack who earns it. Time will tell I am not sure who Barnes will trust more or who will pick up the system first, but I do think both could unseat Bailey as a starter.

I think Quentin could be a 2nd or 3rd year contributor. We'll probably see him this season though. To me we still need a front court guy and if we snag one that projected starting lineup could change.

As of right now....

Starters: Chandler, Santi, Bailey, JJJ, Fulky (my current guess)
Bench guys who get minutes: Mashack, Powell, Olivier

I think Powell could beat out Bailey for that spot, but it could also be Mashack who earns it. Time will tell I am not sure who Barnes will trust more or who will pick up the system first, but I do think both could unseat Bailey as a starter.

I think Quentin could be a 2nd or 3rd year contributor. We'll probably see him this season though. To me we still need a front court guy and if we snag one that projected starting lineup could change.
Good lineup, seems likely. Obviously if BHH comes or a big time transfer in the post comes like you mentioned, I could see JJJ sliding down to the 3 and Bailey coming off the bench.

Quentin probably plays the role of Gaines from this past year. Spot minutes for foul trouble, defensive matchups, a general spark needed, etc. I think he's far more talented than Gaines was, and can hopefully shoot the ball decently, which is why Gaines could never earn any consistent playing time.

VN Store

Back