Tennessee lands Quentin Diboundje

He's done it before...last year was actually the first time in a long time only 7 guys got more than 10mpg.
Without researching it, I don’t remember him playing more than 7 guys consistently in a season. Typically he keeps his better guys in even when we have big leads late in games. Maybe I’m just remembering wrong.

Without researching it, I don’t remember him playing more than 7 guys consistently in a season. Typically he keeps his better guys in even when we have big leads late in games. Maybe I’m just remembering wrong.

When we are pretty good 7-8 guys get double digit minutes. When we aren't 9-11 guys do is the basic breakdown under Barnes.

The 2 best Barnes teams at Tennessee went 8 and 9 deep
Yep, the 2018-19 team had basically the same starting 5 all season, but you did have James Daniel and Fulkerson make a few spot starts, and you had Turner as the 6th man, Daniel averaging 20 minutes, and then Fulkerson and Derrick Walker playing roles off the bench. Even Chris Darrington had a bit of a role, and Pons came in a little.

The 2019-20 team had 4 consistent starters with Bowden, Turner, and Pons all making a number of starts throughout the season. Fulkerson, Jalen Johnson, and Walker all had roles off the bench, too. That rotation was a little tighter than the previous season, but you still felt comfortable going to your 8th or 9th guy off the bench if needed.

So really in his time here we've only had 2 seasons (3 if you count last year since Turner only played 11 games) where the 7 guys consistently was the norm. At Texas it occurred even less, I think if he was "hitting" more frequently in recruiting he'd likely have a good 8 man rotation with the 9-10 guys pushing for 10 minutes a game. But he has unfortunately not built that sort of depth here as of yet, I'm sure staff turnover hasn't helped with it either. He's now had to replace 3 coaches in his 6 seasons here.

Year 1 here: 10 guys averaged 10+ MPG while playing in 25+ games
Year 2 here: 11 guys averaged 10+ MPG, but 2 of them played 15 or fewer games (still means 9 guys averaged over 10 MPG while playing at least 23 games or more)
Year 3 here: 7 guys averaged 10+ MPG, this was one of the short bench years, although he still had 3 other guys average 8+MPG
Year 4 here: 8 guys averaged 10+ MPG, this was Grant/Admiral/Bone/Kyle in their last season we also managed to stay very healthy and all 8 played 28 or more games
Year 5 here: 9 guys averaged 10+ MPG, this was of course the year Turner only played in 11 games and Santi came in late, plus we didn't get Uros active immediately either
This year: 7 guys averaged 10+ mpg

Reactions: walkenvol

VN Store

Back