Tennessee lands Quentin Diboundje

Can't have enough versatile guards/wings on the roster. Look at Baylor for instance. Santi, Bailey, Chandler, Mashack, JJJ, Powell, and now QD. Replacing Gaines and Pember with QD and Powell is a win in my mind. Chandler and Mashack should come close to matching what Keon and Jaden have us last year, and Chandler might easily be the best player of the 4 of them.

Now we just have to figure out what to do in the frontcourt. Walker hopefully contributes if he stays. BHH is hopefully here. Fulky might come back. ON and/or Uros need to give us something as well.
Mashack’s not a project but he’s not an immediate impact guy either IMO. I’m just saying this so people don’t put unreasonable expectations on the kid. There’s no way he can reproduce anything similar to what Keon or Jaden did.

Mashack’s not a project but he’s not an immediate impact guy either IMO. I’m just saying this so people don’t put unreasonable expectations on the kid. There’s no way he can reproduce anything similar to what Keon or Jaden did.
5-10 mins, if that for Mashack

Reactions: TMvol10
Watching his video, his athleticism looks terrific. The floor looks small to him. His shooting is accurate but his release is very low, so he's not so much of a natural shooter. He would need to be wide open to release his jumper unless he learns to have a higher release.

Barnes has been pretty consistent about coaching our guys to use a high release. I bet he corrects that.

5-10 mins, if that for Mashack
No way, I see him having the role that Bailey had this year. Who else do you think is going to take all the minutes voided by Keon and Jaden. Chandler is one, Santi and Bailey probably have slightly bigger roles. Do you think Powell, who wasn't close to being a top 150 guy, is going to be better than Mashack, a top 50 guy?

No way, I see him having the role that Bailey had this year. Who else do you think is going to take all the minutes voided by Keon and Jaden. Chandler is one, Santi and Bailey probably have slightly bigger roles. Do you think Powell, who wasn't close to being a top 150 guy, is going to be better than Mashack, a top 50 guy?

The fact that you are comparing them by ranking and nothing else shows you have no clue what you’re talking about. I’m probably going to be wrong and that’s fine, but you’re reasoning is laughable.

He certainly could, not saying he will, but he's the 45th ranked player in the nation according to 247. He probably didn't get there on accident. I wouldn't be surprised if he has an impact similar to JJJ's freshman year. Around 8ppg, solid defense, 20 minutes give or take. I think he's solidly in the rotation once the season starts. He is the only one outside of JJJ with the size to play SF as well.

Reactions: TMvol10
I think Mashack will be close to what JJJ was in his first year, he won't see as many MPG probably but I'd say the "per 40" stats could be close to the same.

JJJ's freshmen per 40 stats:
1617829122602.png

I think we'll see more minutes over 8 to 10 guys this season without guys that are clearly starters like we had in Pons/Keon/Springer. Unless something crazy happens and we're not healthy I'll be surprised if we finish with anyone clocking 30+ mpg.

The fact that you are comparing them by ranking and nothing else shows you have no clue what you’re talking about. I’m probably going to be wrong and that’s fine, but you’re reasoning is laughable.
They're ranked for a reason. Powell played like 10 games last year, all but 2 in the non conference schedule. I think he'll be solid, but talk about putting unrealistic expectations on someone. He should have a role because he's a solid shooter for a team that really needs consistent shooting. It is very reasonable to expect a top 50 guy to contribute something next year.

I think Mashack will be close to what JJJ was in his first year, he won't see as many MPG probably but I'd say the "per 40" stats could be close to the same.

JJJ's freshmen per 40 stats:
View attachment 361119

I think we'll see more minutes over 8 to 10 guys this season without guys that are clearly starters like we had in Pons/Keon/Springer. Unless something crazy happens and we're not healthy I'll be surprised if we finish with anyone clocking 30+ mpg.
Agreed, I think we will have more quality depth next year. As it turned out, we weren't super deep last year. Really just 7 main guys, with the 8th guy being a big giving us a few minutes a game.

Reactions: ArdentVol
He certainly could, not saying he will, but he's the 45th ranked player in the nation according to 247. He probably didn't get there on accident. I wouldn't be surprised if he has an impact similar to JJJ's freshman year. Around 8ppg, solid defense, 20 minutes give or take. I think he's solidly in the rotation once the season starts. He is the only one outside of JJJ with the size to play SF as well.

Regardless of ranking Powell is a year ahead of him, despite not playing for Auburn to finish the season he still got the full season of practice etc. in a SEC program from a great coach. So at least to start the season I think Powell will get more minutes than Mashack.

I'm extremely high on Mashack too, but it's hard to think a guy who spent an entire season practicing under Pearl isn't going to be a bit ahead of a guy coming from HS.

They're ranked for a reason. Powell played like 10 games last year, all but 2 in the non conference schedule. I think he'll be solid, but talk about putting unrealistic expectations on someone. He should have a role because he's a solid shooter for a team that really needs consistent shooting. It is very reasonable to expect a top 50 guy to contribute something next year.

I agree with most of this statement except the bolded. Rankings mean nothing. They had 200 dudes ranked about Grant Williams on 247.

We do and will get a few bigs but in the NC game both Teams 4 Guards 1 big with 1 Big off bench. Game is played with Guards and you need a point which we have finally to drive the car. As far as Powell the recruiting services missed on him watch his tape not only does he shoot it well but has a understanding of the game with court vision when to pass the rock and move without the ball. In CHRIST Alone.

Someone please explain to Pons that we need him to return and assist in being interpreter for Diboundje.

Thanks

We do and will get a few bigs but in the NC game both Teams 4 Guards 1 big with 1 Big off bench. Game is played with Guards and you need a point which we have finally to drive the car. As far as Powell the recruiting services missed on him watch his tape not only does he shoot it well but has a understanding of the game with court vision when to pass the rock and move without the ball. In CHRIST Alone.

Baylor opened the game with two bigs and played a ton of minutes with two bigs. Vital and the other guy whose name I can’t recall. Of course their bigs weren’t very big.

I agree with most of this statement except the bolded. Rankings mean nothing. They had 200 dudes ranked about Grant Williams on 247.
Certainly not perfect, but there's plenty of evidence they do a pretty darn good job. Clearly they have their misses as well.

Regardless of ranking Powell is a year ahead of him, despite not playing for Auburn to finish the season he still got the full season of practice etc. in a SEC program from a great coach. So at least to start the season I think Powell will get more minutes than Mashack.

I'm extremely high on Mashack too, but it's hard to think a guy who spent an entire season practicing under Pearl isn't going to be a bit ahead of a guy coming from HS.
How much of a preseason did they (or anyone) even really have, plus he was injured for over half the year. He should theoretically be ahead, but Gaines and Pember should have been ahead of where they were as well. Even still, it's a different system they'll both be learning for the first time. I think Powell should get plenty of minutes, as he can possibly/probably even run the point, so there's no reason to believe they can't play together as well. Obviously Rick values defense over just about anything, and I expect Mashack will be a very good defender from the get go.

I think Powell proved in very limited time that he was grossly underrated. His list of suitors after his transfer would suggest as much, as well.

I'm excited about this young man, he may be the type to develop into something special in 2-3 years. Welcome to The Hill young man, and GB🍊!

VN Store

Back