Stop judging coaches by tourney success

Yeah, getting to the finals of the conf tournament is the goal. Got it.

I never said that it’s THE goal. That absolutely does indicate that TN is competing at a high level and that Barnes isn’t a complete failure in tournaments that you Nega-Vol, Barnes Bashers chronically whine about.

I never said that it’s THE goal. That absolutely does indicate that TN is competing at a high level and that Barnes isn’t a complete failure in tournaments that you Nega-Vol, Barnes Bashers chronically whine about.

😂😂😂 You’ve got to be one of the easiest-to-please guys ever. You’re a dream fan for RB.

I’m not a drive-by poster, but thanks for the lesson. Did you know that Barnes has had half of the 4 SECT finals appearances in the 41 tournaments since Devoe won 2 games versus Auburn and UK in a 10 team SEC to win with the double-by in 1979?

TN sports really doesn’t need you, Basilio, or the idiot Cooper brothers stirring up **** at every turn either.

And zero wins.

We're not a blue blood in college basketball. We should be happy that we're relevant at all, because for long periods of time in our history, we haven't been. We're probably a top 10 program in college basketball as it stands right now. Obviously we should all want tournament success, but any year can be the year. Who thought 11th seed UCLA would be a buzzer beater from being in the championship this year? We are consistently making the tournament at least and have won a SEC title a few years ago for only the 9th time in our history. We've accomplished things under Barnes that we should be proud of.

Reactions: Lurker

He's not a failure at all, he's just not a championship caliber coach. It's not in him.

😂😂😂 You’ve got to be one of the easiest-to-please guys ever. You’re a dream fan for RB.

You’re repeating yourself. Fans that actually support their team aren’t really that unusual. You Bashers that constantly whine are the loud minority. Basilio was actually starting to stir up **** on Vitello. Today he was celebrating Bruce’s program building by cheating (no comments made on the dumpster fires he leaves behind). TN sports has no need for all the garbage that you clowns bring.

Last edited:
He's not a failure at all, he's just not a championship caliber coach. It's not in him.

An extreme minority of coaches win the championships. Barnes actually has one that came shortly after starting off with smoldering dumpster embers. TN is now practically living in the top 25.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
You guys turned this into a thread about Barnes and that’s understandable but that wasn’t the intent of the thread.

I was speaking more about the coaches i named in the OP and it applies to everyone. Cronin is the best example of what I am saying. Literally one more pt in that play in game and everyone would still consider him a “bad” tourney coach but now he’s all of a sudden different??? I think not. he’s the same coach and way too much emphasis has been placed on a few games.

and no one wants to talk about Frank martin either. Since he went to the Final 4 does that make him some great coach??? I think not

This is another year where we should be reminded that tourney success is a crap shoot

scott drew little to no tourney success before this year while his teams has been consistently rated in the top 10 the last number of years.

By looking at tourney success Few would be considered a bad underachieving coach I guess

Cronin at UCLA was considered to be a choke artist in the tourney and in fact was 1 pt away from losing in the playin game from continuing to be considered an awful tourney coach.

Tom Izzo once considered the greatest tourney coach of our time losses again in the first game and had some seriously embarrassing losses as high seeds lately

cal and coach K haven’t been to the final4 in a long time

Pearl lucked out in round 1 his final 4 year.

South Carolina proved the final 4 run meant zero to their future success

the point is while March madness is great entertainment its far from the best measuring stick for the success of a coach.

It’s also the dumbest method of choosing a champion in all of sports. But it’s fun.

You guys turned this into a thread about Barnes and that’s understandable but that wasn’t the intent of the thread.

I was speaking more about the coaches i named in the OP and it applies to everyone. Cronin is the best example of what I am saying. Literally one more pt in that play in game and everyone would still consider him a “bad” tourney coach but now he’s all of a sudden different??? I think not. he’s the same coach and way too much emphasis has been placed on a few games.

and no one wants to talk about Frank martin either. Since he went to the Final 4 does that make him some great coach??? I think not

I wonder if Scott Drew is now a great coach? No way the board dolts would have given him 18 years... that I do know.

I don’t think you can make a reasonable argument that Barnes hasn’t disappointed in the tournament. Certainly relative to the strength of the teams he’s had going into it. Who’s The Best At Coaching In The NCAA Men’s Tournament?

That being said he should likewise get credit for developing strong teams. The state of Texas’ program is undoubtedly better than when he took over. (Penders had several good teams, but Barnes put Texas on another level. Given the situation we were in when we hired him I thought it made a lot of sense. He’s succeeded from the standpoint of reestablishing credibility of the program and building up to where it is now. The program is on a solid foundation unlike the smoke and mirrors like Pearl built it on. And we continue to have some positive momentum. If he’s not able to get us to the next level of tournament success then whoever will be next is likely to inherit a program set up to do that. I personally think it would be a mistake to risk what he’s built by firing him and hiring ??? At the very least we will be playing the odds game in the tourney. The more tournaments you make the more likely you are to make a run in one.

I can see both sides of this position. Having said that I told myself that I'd be happy with something to look forward to on selection Sunday. Too many years cutting grass instead of caring about March madness. I'm sticking to that. Anything we get in the SECT and NCAAT are icing on the cake for me. If that makes me a low bar fan, so be it.

I remember arguing this years ago defending Cal and I got laughed at

But he is not our coach. College fans are the notorious at being double standard. If my coach is winning, then he is innocent until proven guilty. If he is losing, then he is guilty and we need to fire him and avoid paying a buyout. If it is the coach of another SEC school, then he guilty and they should pay a maximum buyout. If it is a coach of Kentucky or Alabama, then not only is he guilty but he also is the biggest cheater of all cheaters.

As a result, Cal is the biggest cheater of all cheaters.

Reactions: LittleCat
But he is not our coach. College fans are the notorious at being double standard. If my coach is winning, then he is innocent until proven guilty. If he is losing, then he is guilty and we need to fire him and avoid paying a buyout. If it is the coach of another SEC school, then he guilty and they should pay a maximum buyout. If it is a coach of Kentucky or Alabama, then not only is he guilty but he also is the biggest cheater of all cheaters.

As a result, Cal is the biggest cheater of all cheaters.
Well his fellow coaches think so too
John Calipari, Scott Drew Voted 'Biggest Cheaters' In NCAA | SLAM

Reactions: golfballs
it's common knowledge. Everyone cheats except your coach and your team. Refs all have it in for our team and favor the guys we play.
golden rule of college sports.

Reactions: Catbone and Tnphil
An extreme minority of coaches win the championships. Barnes actually has one that came shortly after starting off with smoldering dumpster embers. TN is now practically living in the top 25.

Barnes has won one outright conference championship and conference tournament in 30+ years of coaching. Top 25 does’t mean a thing in basketball.

Barnes has won one outright conference championship and conference tournament in 30+ years of coaching. Top 25 does’t mean a thing in basketball.

Top 25 means the highlights and scores get aired in the national media. It also sets up for a better NCAAT draw.

Barnes has been in conferences with 4 of the bluest of blue bloods and won the Big Eat Tournament at a David in a conference loaded with Goliaths during that conference’s greatest era. Stop posting your nonsense.

Drew’s been to two Elite Eights, FF, and won a NC since the $5 million dollar man reached an EE.

I see that you’re another of the clueless posters when it comes to the economics of coach’s salaries.

Drew would have been fired from Baylor long ago if their administration’s opinions were as bad as yours.

Drew’s been to two Elite Eights, FF, and won a NC since the $5 million dollar man reached an EE.
Rick Barnes changed jobs in that time span and took over a mess left by Donnie Tyndall, a cheater. You also fail to mention that in that same to frame Drew has been popped for cheating. I’d take Barnes everyday over a shitstain like Scott Drew

VN Store

Back