Stop judging coaches by tourney success

Bingo. Poor @mr.checkerboards thinks he’s not a golf tourney coach lol
Not at all. Its about setting up your team to get the break/run in March. Ex... not consistently getting beaten by much lower seeded teams. Youve got to make it to the later rounds consistently to get the breaks to beat the better teams. But I dont think youre smart enough to understand that concept.

Sure, since you weren’t alive then, that’s your opinion. Comical trying to justify other coaches who haven’t had as much success. Huggins made Cincy a very good program.
Not at all, if I had to pick between Barnes or Huggins given recent success give me Huggins all day. He has 3 sweet 16's in the last 7 years to Barnes one. Odds are Huggins has a much better chance of the ball finally bouncing his way or an upset happening that propels them forward. Part of being a good coach in March isnt beating the top seeds every year its beating who youre supposed to beat so the ball eventually bounces your way at the end.

Not at all, if I had to pick between Barnes or Huggins given recent success give me Huggins all day. He has 3 sweet 16's in the last 7 years to Barnes one. Odds are Huggins has a much better chance of the ball finally bouncing his way or an upset happening that propels them forward. Part of being a good coach in March isnt beating the top seeds every year its beating who youre supposed to beat so the ball eventually bounces your way at the end.

What coach do you consider to be the best at being a tourney coach ?

You are all over the place. Mick Cronin was the original topic and how he was at a place that was not conducive to making runs, yet Huggins did. Then, Huggins success was irrelevant because it was a long time ago yet Huggins has made three SS’s in the last 7 years at WV.

What is also ironic is that you use UCLA as the reason Cronin had a great year, and posters on this site criticize Barnes for considering the UCLA job because it was nostalgic. It is clearly a better basketball school than UT.

Quite comical how this place tries to justify opinions. Barnes has to be criticized so let’s use whatever we can to help support that opinion.

You are all over the place. Mick Cronin was the original topic and how he was at a place that was not conducive to making runs, yet Huggins did. Then, Huggins success was irrelevant because it was a long time ago yet Huggins has made three SS’s in the last 7 years at WV.

What is also ironic is that you use UCLA as the reason Cronin had a great year, and posters on this site criticize Barnes for considering the UCLA job because it was nostalgic. It is clearly a better basketball school than UT.

Quite comical how this place tries to justify opinions. Barnes has to be criticized so let’s use whatever we can to help support that opinion.
Ive never said UCLA wasnt a better job. i just hate the argument that we as fans just have to settle for what weve got and cant do better attitude that a lot of people in here have taken with Barnes.

Ding ding ding!!!

What coach do you consider to be the best at being a tourney coach ?
I dont think there is a best per say, but lets look at some of the best to ever do it.
Coach K: 2 FF and a runner up before his first title, 2 runner ups and an EE before his second, 6 S16, 1 FF, 1 EE before his 3rd, and since then he as 2 EE. So he only has 3 titles but hes put his team in position many times before he got those titles.
Bill Self: 2 EE before his title, since then he has been to the EE or farther 5 times and hasnt caught the break needed to win it, but hes given his program a shot.
Roy Williams: First title is a bit of an outlier at NC, but he had his Kansas team in position multiple times before that. Then he had an EE and a FF before his second title, then 2 EE's a S 16 and a runner up before his third.
They were able to put their teams in position multiple times before catching the break they needed to win it all.

I dont think there is a best per say, but lets look at some of the best to ever do it.
Coach K: 2 FF and a runner up before his first title, 2 runner ups and an EE before his second, 6 S16, 1 FF, 1 EE before his 3rd, and since then he as 2 EE. So he only has 3 titles but hes put his team in position many times before he got those titles.
Bill Self: 2 EE before his title, since then he has been to the EE or farther 5 times and hasnt caught the break needed to win it, but hes given his program a shot.
Roy Williams: First title is a bit of an outlier at NC, but he had his Kansas team in position multiple times before that. Then he had an EE and a FF before his second title, then 2 EE's a S 16 and a runner up before his third.
They were able to put their teams in position multiple times before catching the break they needed to win it all.

Cheaters at corrupt blue blood programs. Cool list, Dude. You left off Calipari.

Ive never said UCLA wasnt a better job. i just hate the argument that we as fans just have to settle for what weve got and cant do better attitude that a lot of people in here have taken with Barnes.

We are UT basketball. Just give us solid years, and we will make a run here and there.

If you would have told me the day that Rick Barnes was hired that he would have us a foul away from the Elite Eight in year 4, I would have been ecstatic. That simply doesn’t mean I don’t care about the NCAAT because I do. I’ve never said we have to settle, but be careful what you ask for. There are many coaches who can’t even get you there, and I’ve been a fan while 4 couldn’t or struggled to do so (1 being Cuonzo who barely did). We’ve been to the NCAAT 18 times in the last 41 years, and 4 coaches have 17 of those. We’ve had 9 coaches. History has not been on our side.

I am of the opinion you keep plugging along with someone we know can get you there. It’s realky not that difficult.

Cheaters at corrupt blue blood programs. Cool list, Dude. You left off Calipari.
too lazy to do anymore. and who cares any coach that wants to win is cheating, you think Barnes is pulling KC, KJ and JS for free? All these programs that fans of other teams accuse of cheating, but yet a kid totally turns down thousands of dollars to go to one of those schools to come here. Come on now, you know better than that.

Last edited:
We are UT basketball. Just give us solid years, and we will make a run here and there.

If you would have told me the day that Rick Barnes was hired that he would have us a foul away from the Elite Eight in year 4, I would have been ecstatic. That simply doesn’t mean I don’t care about the NCAAT because I do. I’ve never said we have to settle, but be careful what you ask for. There are many coaches who can’t even get you there, and I’ve been a fan while 4 couldn’t or struggled to do so (1 being Cuonzo who barely did). We’ve been to the NCAAT 18 times in the last 41 years, and 4 coaches have 17 of those. We’ve had 9 coaches. History has not been on our side.

I am of the opinion you keep plugging along with someone we know can get you there. It’s realky not that difficult.
And thats your opinion and you are welcome to it. But I am much more into taking risks, id rather have the devil i dont know who could have the high ceiling then the devil I do know.

And thats your opinion and you are welcome to it. But I am much more into taking risks, id rather have the devil i dont know who could have the high ceiling then the devil I do know.

And that’s ok, but you use some totally inconsistent assertions to form that opinion when people poke holes in it.

too lazy to do anymore. and who cares any coach that wants to win is cheating, you think Barnes is pulling KC, KJ and JS for free? All these programs that fans of other teams accuse of cheating, but yet a kid totally turns down thousands of dollars to go to one of those schools to come here. Come on now, you know better than that.

I’m pretty sure that TN didn’t have a fake classes scheme running for a couple of decades to keep athletes eligible.

Bingo. Poor @mr.checkerboards thinks he’s not a good tourney coach lol

Barnes has advanced past the first weekend only once in his last nine NCAA tournament appearances. I like Barnes and think it is crazy talk to suggest moving on from him, but it's undeniable that Barnes hasn't had much NCAA tournament success recently.

Barnes has advanced past the first weekend only once in his last nine NCAA tournament appearances. I like Barnes and think it is crazy talk to suggest moving on from him, but it's undeniable that Barnes hasn't had much NCAA tournament success recently.

I guess it would have been better to have missed the NCAAT entirely for 4 or 5 of those 9.

About 20% of teams make the field. 25% of those make it past the first weekend. 16 out of 347 did that this year. 4.61%.

I guess it would have been better to have missed the NCAAT entirely for 4 or 5 of those 9.

About 20% of teams make the field. 25% of those make it past the first weekend. 16 out of 347 did that this year. 4.61%.

You and I both know that I never once implied it would have been better to have missed the tournament 4 or 5 of those years. In fact, my post included this verbatim, but I'll say it again: I like Barnes and think it is crazy talk to suggest moving on from him.

You and I both know that I never once implied it would have been better to have missed the tournament 4 or 5 of those years. In fact, my post included this verbatim, but I'll say it again: I like Barnes and think it is crazy talk to suggest moving on from him.
Hes at the top of the list of Barnes can do no wrong and we shouldnt expect better, dont mind him.

Reactions: BisonVol
Hes at the top of the list of Barnes can do no wrong and we shouldnt expect better, dont mind him.

Please quote me on any of those posts. Countering the BS chronically being spewed by the Barnes Bashers does not count.

Barnes is easily the best option to lead TN basketball right now. Scott Drew is not coming here. Mark Few is not coming here. Oats isn’t coming here. Musselman isn’t coming here. Billy Donovan isn’t coming here. Brad Stevens isn’t coming here. Bruce Pearl would be an idiotic replacement suggestion for CRB.

Please quote me on any of those posts. Countering the BS chronically being spewed by the Barnes Bashers does not count.

Barnes is easily the best option to lead TN basketball right now. Scott Drew is not coming here. Mark Few is not coming here. Oats isn’t coming here. Musselman isn’t coming here. Billy Donovan isn’t coming here. Brad Stevens isn’t coming here. Bruce Pearl would be an idiotic replacement suggestion for CRB.
You mean what you just did to that poster. He clearly said he didnt want Barnes fired and pointed out a very valid criticism come March, and you jumped all over him and got defensive as hell.
Secondly, and those coaches are the only ones that can win in March? Just because they arent a big name doesnt mean they cant win, ex Peal was at ****ing Wisconsin Miluwakee or whatever. Brad Underwood was at Stepehn F Austin. Besides Pearl I dont want anyone on your list they arent the only ones that can be succusful.

Reactions: BisonVol
You mean what you just did to that poster. He clearly said he didnt want Barnes fired and pointed out a very valid criticism come March, and you jumped all over him and got defensive as hell.
Secondly, and those coaches are the only ones that can win in March? Just because they arent a big name doesnt mean they cant win, ex Peal was at ****ing Wisconsin Miluwakee or whatever. Brad Underwood was at Stepehn F Austin. Besides Pearl I dont want anyone on your list they arent the only ones that can be succusful.

I simply presented facts. Apparently you do not know what “jumped all over him and got defensive as hell” means.

BTW, Bruce Pearl had just made the Sweet 16 when TN hired him away from “****ing Wisconsin Miluwakee or whatever”. Same thing with KO at ****ing Marquette. How did those tenures end?

I simply presented facts. Apparently you do not know what “jumped all over him and got defensive as hell” means.

BTW, Bruce Pearl had just made the Sweet 16 when TN hired him away from “****ing Wisconsin Miluwakee or whatever”. Same thing with KO at ****ing Marquette. How did those tenures end?
One of them took their programs to a new height it had never been before.
And cool your "facts" had 0 to do with the conversation besides you being butthurt over someone criticizing Barnes. The topic is tourney success which means what do you do when you get there. Not oh boy but we made it.

One of them took their programs to a new height it had never been before.
And cool your "facts" had 0 to do with the conversation besides you being butthurt over someone criticizing Barnes. The topic is tourney success which means what do you do when you get there. Not oh boy but we made it.

Try to keep up. My facts were a direct counter to comments made in the “conversation”.

Can’t advance without getting there. Barnes does that at a much higher rate than TN basketball has historically made it. Also AP #1 for a month is a new height for the UTBB program. The 2018 regular season title was just the 4th in nearly 4 decades. The 2019 Sweet 16 was just the 8th in the history of TN basketball. TN is now signing NBA lottery picks (plural)... when has that ever happened before?

I have no doubt that if TN made the FF with Barnes, our idiot posters, who get liquored up and run their mouths off, would be b****ing about not making the championship game.

VN Store

Back