Tennessee lands Quentin Diboundje

Wish I had paid more attention to his play this past weekend against high caliber competition In NC semi and finals games.

I do know during the NC game broadcast it was noted Montverde has the No. 7 and 23 ranked players in their senior class, No. 2, 6, 22, 38, and 50th ranked juniors, and No. 20 ranked sophomore. Hell, if he’s getting quality minutes at all with that group then he must be pretty good.

Wish I had paid more attention to his play this past weekend against high caliber competition In NC semi and finals games.

I do know during the NC game broadcast it was noted Montverde has the No. 7 and 23 ranked players in their senior class, No. 2, 6, 22, 38, and 50th ranked juniors, and No. 20 ranked sophomore. Hell, if he’s getting quality minutes at all with that group then he must be pretty good.

He's not on that team. He's on a post-graduate team.

No, I get that. Just seems like we are overloading the guard spots, again. That’s fine if we nail it on our post evaluations and commitments. Not a terrific track record there, so just a small cause for concern. Not saying I disagree with the take, at all. I just want to see balance and intense focus on shoring up the frontline.
This is where I'm at, and I may even be more critical of Barnes on this. I'm not against the idea of having interchangeable, but after watching last season, I feel like the word "overloading" perfectly describes the situation.

Reactions: cncchris33
This is where I'm at, and I may even be more critical of Barnes on this. I'm not against the idea of having interchangeable, but after watching last season, I feel like the word "overloading" perfectly describes the situation.

Depends on what you are overloading. If we had one or two players that could get their own 3 point shot and hit it consistently, then there wasn't really an issue. If Tre Mann was just added to last year's team, then we would have been fine. You just can't overload on similar players who can't shoot consistently. While Bailey, Vescovi, Johnson, and Springer all solid/very good players, consistency was a problem.

I think this guy will probably need a year or two to develop anyway. Probably much better upside than someone like Pember. We will add another post or two anyway.

Reactions: golfballs
Well, the fact they all fall in the same class is kind of my point. Would like to see players at the same positions more spread out. It isn’t a huge concern, but just a notable point.

I hear ya. But these guys are probably at different stages of development, ie. Powell>Mashack>Q, and they might leave early for the pros or the portal in different years. The players are basically free agents (almost) these days, so not sure staggering them by years in a master time plan matters that much any more. Also don't forget Bailey, Vescovi, and JJJ all have an extra year if they want it.

Depends on what you are overloading. If we had one or two players that could get their own 3 point shot and hit it consistently, then there wasn't really an issue. If Tre Mann was just added to last year's team, then we would have been fine. You just can't overload on similar players who can't shoot consistently. While Bailey, Vescovi, Johnson, and Springer all solid/very good players, consistency was a problem.

I think this guy will probably need a year or two to develop anyway. Probably much better upside than someone like Pember. We will add another post or two anyway.
I get what you're saying. We probably agree that it did not work out as expected with our "embarrassment of riches" in the backcourt this past season. Like cncchris, it is a concern to me at this point. Like you said, getting the right frontcourt pieces will definitely help if we wind up being overloaded.

This year we get 13 schollys PLUS any of the returning seniors. So with Anosike returning, we can have 14 total. if Fulky returns, we can have 15 total. (Assume Pons is gone, but if he returns he would not take a scholarship position from the 13). We only need six at most for positions 4&5. If Fulky and Anoskie return, means we can have as many as 8 in the backcourt. If they don't, we would have six in the frontcourt and 7 in the backcourt. Seven is what we have right now in the backcourt by my count: Chandler, Vescovi, Bailey, Powell, Mashack, JJJ, and this kid. So we can have Anosike and Fulky and 6 MORE. With Plavisc, Olivier, Walker, we have room for three more bigs or two bigs and another guard. Is my reasoning correct?
Correct in that Fulk and EJA do not count in scholarship numbers toward 2021-22. Walker is transferring, so you can take him off the list. Leaves us currently with Fulk and EJA, potentially, Nkamhoua and Plavsic.

That is 9 guys who count toward the 13 and 4 open spots. The belief is we likely land Handje Tamba and Brandon Huntley-Hatfield, both post players to help shore that up. Two spots left for likely transfers, preferably at least one who is grad with one year of eligibility to even put the classes. Otherwise, we have zero open scholarships going into the 2022 class, though we could see someone transfer, Chandler and/or Huntley-Hatfield go pro, etc. We might hold a scholarship for that reason, as well, and only take one transfer.

Reactions: youcancallmeAl
Mashack, Powell and Q could all play on the court the same time, I don’t think they are all pigeon holed to 1 position and that being the same position.
That is true. I’m just saying guards with similar skill-sets. Powell is probably your PG if all three are on the floor together.

I hear ya. But these guys are probably at different stages of development, ie. Powell>Mashack>Q, and they might leave early for the pros or the portal in different years. The players are basically free agents (almost) these days, so not sure staggering them by years in a master time plan matters that much any more. Also don't forget Bailey, Vescovi, and JJJ all have an extra year if they want it.
That’s a fair point. Recruiting is changing and rosters can be built in more ways with the current setup, like it or not.

I get what you're saying. We probably agree that it did not work out as expected with our "embarrassment of riches" in the backcourt this past season. Like cncchris, it is a concern to me at this point. Like you said, getting the right frontcourt pieces will definitely help if we wind up being overloaded.

Probably an extreme example, but Baylor had a bunch of interchangeable parts. Essentially 5 guys that shot 40% or better from three, but all are multi-year players. We can all talk about Johnson and Springer as 5 star talents, but 3 point shot consistency usually involves developing for more than just one year in college.

Similarly, if you look up the top 3 point shooters in the NBA, most have been in the league several years and interestingly, guys like Buddy Hield, Steph Curry, JJ Reddick, Duncan Robinson, Joe Harris, Luke Kennard, Norman Powell, George Hill, Doug McDermott, Shake Milton, were all multi-year college players, too.

Bottom line is that I believe the one and done model does not help your team with consistent shot making. They are great athletes that you get for a year.

Reactions: AngryButchJones
Watching his video, his athleticism looks terrific. The floor looks small to him. His shooting is accurate but his release is very low, so he's not so much of a natural shooter. He would need to be wide open to release his jumper unless he learns to have a higher release.

Reactions: UneducatedGuess
I like having these versatile 6'5-6'6 type players in todays game. Mashack, QDE and Powell are similar but can play the 2 and 3 and some 1 and 4 in a pinch like JJJ has. I know Powell has shown up on some mock drafts for 22 and 23 but it seems like these guys should be around a few years and become a cornerstone of our program.

Watching his video, his athleticism looks terrific. The floor looks small to him. His shooting is accurate but his release is very low, so he's not so much of a natural shooter. He would need to be wide open to release his jumper unless he learns to have a higher release.

I’m glad that the staff will actually have an off season this year to help him improve his shot.

Can you post a link to this video? Thanks!

Do you think Walker will be on the team next year or will he hit the transfer portal? Would like to know what happened to him as far as playing time. He never got on the court and I was looking forward to seeing what he could do!

Correct in that Fulk and EJA do not count in scholarship numbers toward 2021-22. Walker is transferring, so you can take him off the list. Leaves us currently with Fulk and EJA, potentially, Nkamhoua and Plavsic.

That is 9 guys who count toward the 13 and 4 open spots. The belief is we likely land Handje Tamba and Brandon Huntley-Hatfield, both post players to help shore that up. Two spots left for likely transfers, preferably at least one who is grad with one year of eligibility to even put the classes. Otherwise, we have zero open scholarships going into the 2022 class, though we could see someone transfer, Chandler and/or Huntley-Hatfield go pro, etc. We might hold a scholarship for that reason, as well, and only take one transfer.

So, we have four open spots by that accounting. We need starters at both the 4 and 5. And if Fulky comes back, that'll give us three post starters and a good rotation. And if he doesn't we have two more schollys to play with for another post starter quality player. I'd personally like to see us get another PG as understudy to Chandler and then start his second season, if we can find room. So that would be three new posts and a new pg on my Christmas list.

I wouldn't worry about the 22 class if we can load up on the one-time transfer portal situation. Get it while the gettin's good. In any case, James might leave after this year, and Bailey, and could be a transfer or two as well to open up for 22. So I think we're right to load up now.

BTW, has Walker entered the portal yet? I haven't seen it posted.

Came here to say the exact thing in re: release

I’m glad that the staff will actually have an off season this year to help him improve his shot.
Even if he's slow to progress, I can't see him being any less of a contributor than what we had on the bench last year. Surely he can give us a little something?

So, we have four open spots by that accounting. We need starters at both the 4 and 5. And if Fulky comes back, that'll give us three post starters and a good rotation. And if he doesn't we have two more schollys to play with for another post starter quality player. I'd personally like to see us get another PG as understudy to Chandler and then start his second season, if we can find room. So that would be three new posts and a new pg on my Christmas list.

I wouldn't worry about the 22 class if we can load up on the one-time transfer portal situation. Get it while the gettin's good. In any case, James might leave after this year, and Bailey, and could be a transfer or two as well to open up for 22. So I think we're right to load up now.

BTW, has Walker entered the portal yet? I haven't seen it posted.
Not officially, but he’s gone from what I understand.

I mean Barnes likes having loads of guards.

All leaving:
Keon
Springer
Gaines
Pember

Incoming:
Chandler
Mashack
Powell
Quentin

I think in that 4 person exchange we've actually improved. I'm sure with Pons and likely Walker both still leaving and us effectively getting 2 scholarships back with Fulk/EJ not counting this season we will bring in 2 or 3 post guys still. Hopefully BHH, Tamba and most likely a transfer.

I mean Barnes likes having loads of guards.

All leaving:
Keon
Springer
Gaines
Pember

Incoming:
Chandler
Mashack
Powell
Quentin

I think in that 4 person exchange we've actually improved. I'm sure with Pons and likely Walker both still leaving and us effectively getting 2 scholarships back with Fulk/EJ not counting this season we will bring in 2 or 3 post guys still. Hopefully BHH, Tamba and most likely a transfer.
After this next year, we will still have Vescovi, Mashack, and Powell with Edwards coming in. Still pretty good.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol

VN Store

Back