MLB cancels ASG in Atlanta

how are you reading that in a way that says someone who was in line before the polls closed would not be able to vote

There is separate law that if you are there before they close you get to vote - this is dealing with extensions to cover the time voting wasn't available. If voting machines stopped working for 1/2 hour then hours are extended a 1/2 hour and that is the new cut off time for being in line.

Vote in Person on Election Day

"Polling places are open on Election Day from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. If you are in line by 7:00 p.m., you are allowed to cast your ballot."
If that's still the case, then it's as it should be.

How difficult is it to get an ID, bring your own water bottle, and plan ahead a day to go and Vote?
Apparently black folks can’t get IDs and we know dems are too lazy to actually go stand in line to vote they are used to walking to the mailbox to get their government handouts so it’s easier for them to vote by mail.

I'm glad you asked. For the 2020 election, there were 94 drop boxes across the four counties that make up the core of metropolitan Atlanta: Fulton, Cobb, DeKalb and Gwinnett. The new law limits the same four counties to a total of, at most, 23 drop boxes. There won't just be fewer drop boxes, however. Instead of 24 hour access outdoors, the boxes must be placed indoors at government buildings and early-voting sites and will thus be unavailable for voters to drop off their ballots during evenings and other non-business hours.

This measure is likely to have the effect of pushing absentee voters to return ballots through the mail, which in 2020 did not prove as reliable as in the past because of Republican cuts to the Postal Service (a policy also designed to limit voter participation in the presidential election).

Ah but you didn't answer the question - I asked about traditionally.

2020 was an emergency exemption. Georgia law did not allow for drop boxes but an exemption was made due to the pandemic.

This bill actually codifies that drop boxes CAN BE used as a regular part of elections thus it EXPANDS the use of drop boxes and doesn't require an emergency exemption.

Seems you are the one misrepresenting the bill

So many of the changes for 2020 were done outside of GA election law. This bill is keeping some of those changes and this one in particular is changing the law in a way that explicitly allows of the use of drop boxes.

People who wait in voting lines are idiots. They can early vote
I went to vote early on three different occasions. The first two, I just gave up because the line was so long. On the third try, I waited about an hour.

Ah but you didn't answer the question - I asked about traditionally.

2020 was an emergency exemption. Georgia law did not allow for drop boxes but an exemption was made due to the pandemic.

This bill actually codifies that drop boxes CAN BE used as a regular part of elections thus it EXPANDS the use of drop boxes and doesn't require an emergency exemption.

Seems you are the one misrepresenting the bill

So many of the changes for 2020 were done outside of GA election law. This bill is keeping some of those changes and this one in particular is changing the law in a way that explicitly allows of the use of drop boxes.
You are misrepresenting how welcoming this law is to the use of drop boxes, because those boxes will now be placed inside of government buildings as I explained. Voters will not be able to drop those ballots off outside of business hours. Since most people have jobs, they will have to put them in the mail. It really doesn't matter how many boxes there are if the public doesn't have access to them. Again, this is all by Republican design.

You are misrepresenting how welcoming this law is to the use of drop boxes, because those boxes will now be placed inside of government buildings as I explained. Voters will not be able to drop those ballots off outside of business hours. Since most people have jobs, they will have to put them in the mail. It really doesn't matter how many boxes there are if the public doesn't have access to them. Again, this is all by Republican design.

people do have access to them -acting like them being inside and not 24/7 means no access is ridiculous

more importantly - prior to this they were not allowed at all.

there is no denying this is an expansion of the use of drop boxes without requiring a one-time emergency authorization.

Good move. Good for them and for Delta and others.

Sad that private businesses have to stand up for black folks because the government won't but oh well. Our black friends survived Jim crow laws the 1st time and they will survive this modern version.

Never forget yall came out and voted in droves in 2020 and it was Republicans that tried to silence you in 2021.
You and the other sheep are about as ignorant as ignorant gets
Interesting me calling Luther a moron was removed when I was just calling him what he called all Republicans. I see a ton of name calling in the PF but not much gets removed.
you were speaking the truth

What is the difference in a drop box and a mail box?
Other than a drop box requires a trip somewhere.

people do have access to them -acting like them being inside and not 24/7 means no access is ridiculous

more importantly - prior to this they were not allowed at all.

there is no denying this is an expansion of the use of drop boxes without requiring a one-time emergency authorization.
It is a restricted access. Most people will not be able to leave work to drop off a ballot inside of a government building. This is a very calculated Republican move. There is no other purpose behind it, except to make it more difficult to vote by a drop box then it was in 2020.

This argument is complete BS. Where I live voting hours only extend an hour past normal work hours. And weekends where polls are only open 4 hours. Having a normalized standard with limits in place and where boxes can be monitored is much better than having 94 boxes just where ever some person decides one should go. Again these laws are no more or less restrictive than what many other states have. Actually having a set of rules and guidelines is better than a free for all, which is what GA was in 2020.

If voting is important enough for the voter they can vote in person, no exceptions other than military

It is a restricted access. Most people will not be able to leave work to drop off a ballot inside of a government building. This is a very calculated Republican move. There is no other purpose behind it, except to make it more difficult to vote by a drop box then it was in 2020.

it is more access than not having drop boxes

people can't leave work? you serious?

This argument is complete BS. Where I live voting hours only extend an hour past normal work hours. And weekends where polls are only open 4 hours. Having a normalized standard with limits in place and where boxes can be monitored is much better than having 94 boxes just where ever some person decides one should go. Again these laws are no more or less restrictive than what many other states have. Actually having a set of rules and guidelines is better than a free for all, which is what GA was in 2020.

and the 94 boxes were not allowed without an emergency exemption

so 24 boxes (or whatever the number is) is better than zero boxes

They could have just done nothing and not had drop boxes period.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
and the 94 boxes were not allowed without an emergency exemption

so 24 boxes (or whatever the number is) is better than zero boxes
Yes this point also escapes them. As well as the added saturdays and giving counties the option of voting on Sundays those weekends as well.

Reactions: volinbham

VN Store

Back