Will Rick Barnes get us to a Final 4

Final 4

• Yes

Votes: 60 19.5%
  • No

Votes: 248 80.5%

• Total voters
I'm no Rick Barnes apologist, his teams take some bad and disappointing losses at the worst times and I absolutely HATE his lack of offensive system. Just setting picks and hoping one of your athletes can cut to the basket isn't a system. All that being said, he gives us the best chance we have had in a while.

With all the years and all the various coaches, UT has never made a final 4. On top of that, consider Barnes teams history of late season fades and early exits. What makes you entertain the notion that Rick Barnes is going to be the first at UT to do it?

He was 2 plays away from making 2 Elite 8s. Making the NCAAT field is nearly being taken for granted. Get there every year (or 3 out of every 4) and eventually the lucky bounces fall in your favor.

Will he ever get us an sec tournament championship?

While I'm fine with winning it....I don't get why winning the conference tournament is so important to some. Yeah it's a nice to have but.....unless you need to win the thing to make the NCAAT it's basically kind of a waste of time. The SECT Champion isn't the recognized SEC Champion, that's the regular season champion. Is it just because we haven't won it in 40 years?

While I'm fine with winning it....I don't get why winning the conference tournament is so important to some. Yeah it's a nice to have but.....unless you need to win the thing to make the NCAAT it's basically kind of a waste of time. The SECT Champion isn't the recognized SEC Champion, that's the regular season champion. Is it just because we haven't won it in 40 years?
One of the reasons I want UT to win an SEC Tournament Championship is that a lot of times it can carry over into The Big Dance. Kinda like Oregon State getting hot winning their Tourney and now, they are in the Sweet 16. Yes, they had to win, but sometimes teams get hot like UConn and Kemba winning it both about a decade ago. I wonder what the % of National Champs, also won their Conference Tournament, probably kinda high, wouldn't u think ?

Reactions: brockytop
With all the years and all the various coaches, UT has never made a final 4. On top of that, consider Barnes teams history of late season fades and early exits. What makes you entertain the notion that Rick Barnes is going to be the first at UT to do it?
You do realize Bruce Pearl was 1 point away from a Final 4 when we lost at the last minute to Michigan State right? I get your point, but Tennessee has been right on the cusp, we just can't seem to catch a solid break in the tournament or we implode like this year. I really hope we get to see us finally get over the top one day.

Bama's going to be the new STUD in the SEC. Kids will line up to play Oates' style of ball. already are. Ky will be #2. we'll fight it out with Auburn , Arky , LSu and Fla for #3 spot.

Bama's going to be the new STUD in the SEC. Kids will line up to play Oates' style of ball. already are. Ky will be #2. we'll fight it out with Auburn , Arky , LSu and Fla for #3 spot.

Oats will leave Bama but it won’t be for us.

we should have made Elite 8 with the Grant/Admiral team--with that controversial foul at the end of regulation. Who knows how far that team would have went, and those were three star players that he coached up. I am never saying no--he's been recruiting well.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
One of the reasons I want UT to win an SEC Tournament Championship is that a lot of times it can carry over into The Big Dance. Kinda like Oregon State getting hot winning their Tourney and now, they are in the Sweet 16. Yes, they had to win, but sometimes teams get hot like UConn and Kemba winning it both about a decade ago. I wonder what the % of National Champs, also won their Conference Tournament, probably kinda high, wouldn't u think ?

Do conference tournaments predict national championships?

This is just from the past 26 years but....not really.

Reactions: The Dog
What are the odds any particular coach will?

Ten different coaches made their only Final Four appearance between 2011-2019 (no tourney 2020). Nine different coaches made their only Final Four appearance between 2001-2010, with Barnes making his lone FF trip in that timeframe.

Bottom line is one new coach makes the Final Four each year on average.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
Ten different coaches made their only Final Four appearance between 2011-2019 (no tourney 2020). Nine different coaches made their only Final Four appearance between 2001-2010, with Barnes making his lone FF trip in that timeframe.

Bottom line is one new coach makes the Final Four each year on average.
One new coach, every four years, out of 357... So 0.07%

Good post

He was 2 plays away from making 2 Elite 8s. Making the NCAAT field is nearly being taken for granted. Get there every year (or 3 out of every 4) and eventually the lucky bounces fall in your favor.
I hope I live long enough to see that damned ball bounce our way for a change....in any men's sport.

Reactions: JCP201
TN cashed in a lot of chips with the Stoerner fumble.
Yeah, I got on all fours and put my hands together like when u pray (I wasn't, well, kinda, but deep in my subconscious) on my couch and the fumble and UT recovery happened. Henry ran it down their throats and it was beautiful, but yeah, it will be a minute before we get to cash 'em, again I still get in that position in really close games, but it's only worked again, like twice in 20 years

Other than Davison, Oats' 2021 class is not all that impressive.

Reactions: USAFgolferVol

VN Store

Back