Gone but not forgotten: Knoxville area restaurants and retailers we miss.

Does anybody remember the Bike athletic factory outlet or something? My Uncle used to work there and they would let me and my brother come in on weekends occasionally and let us pick through boxes of old t-shirts that never got sold. I think at one point I had a t-shirt for every Knox and Blount county high school. I can't remember where it used to be. I think Russell athletic bought out Bike many years ago.

Does anybody remember the Bike athletic factory outlet or something? My Uncle used to work there and they would let me and my brother come in on weekends occasionally and let us pick through boxes of old t-shirts that never got sold. I think at one point I had a t-shirt for every Knox and Blount county high school. I can't remember where it used to be. I think Russell athletic bought out Bike many years ago.
That would be so cool if you still had some of those shirts

That would be so cool if you still had some of those shirts
It would be. This was back in the late 70's early 80's maybe? Friends would "borrow" them and sometimes they wouldn't come back. I think the last one I remember having was a Fulton Falcons shirt that lasted until the early 90's. Then it became a rag.

Reactions: MAD

Forks of the River industrial park.

Forks of the River industrial park.
You always come through!
giphy.gif

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
Is Myobi’s still out at West Town? Man, that place was awesome! Expensive for a college kid but very good! That mayonnaise sauce was incredible!

The clearance sale used to be in a warehouse out by the zoo.

Reactions: VolInNorthCack
Those after-hours spots, along with Fiction (which, if I understand correctly, was in a similar vein) have been gone for around fifteen years.

Wow. I've been gone too long.

Man, the Underground used to have it going on. That was one of those places that you always felt like you were stepping into a movie scene. The decor, the lighting, the people, the whole atmosphere was just awesome. This crazy glitzy-goth vibe. You could get pretty much any drug you wanted, just had to ask for Frog (I think it was Frog). It was like what I always imagined a big-city club was like. It just transported you to a different world when you walked in.

Man, the Underground used to have it going on. That was one of those places that you always felt like you were stepping into a movie scene. The decor, the lighting, the people, the whole atmosphere was just awesome. This crazy glitzy-goth vibe. You could get pretty much any drug you wanted, just had to ask for Frog (I think it was Frog). It was like what I always imagined a big-city club was like. It just transported you to a different world when you walked in.

riibbit

Who remembers Mad Jack, PR Pewing and Big John Tate?
I remember John dinning at a mom and pops restaurant, sitting at the counter basically taking up two spaces. He would order two plate lunches. Meat and three veggies, cornbread etc. He was a nice guy. Just a big kid. Gone too soon.

Reactions: ArdentVol and MAD
I am sure that after 70 plus pages this has been mentioned but does anyone remember O'charleys on the strip? That place was always packed but it was also a haven for the KPD. Seems they were always writing tickets for out-door consumption or something! I guess that is why they closed down years ago.

I am sure that after 70 plus pages this has been mentioned but does anyone remember O'charleys on the strip? That place was always packed but it was also a haven for the KPD. Seems they were always writing tickets for out-door consumption or something! I guess that is why they closed down years ago.
some years after it closed I worked with a guy who bartended at that Ocharleys. He told me that the store made their money on the 6-7 football saturdays. The other 358 days they lost money

Reactions: ArdentVol
I was just posting in another thread about when I lived in Knoxville in the 70's, you would have to go get some
Krystal's after being at the "Disco's", and I dared my friend Melissa to order them as "Gut Bombs", and she did,
but the lady at the counter was not amused.....lol

VN Store

Back