Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well then I’m reporting @VolsDoc81TX for harassment.
tumblr_m7seqeq7Kv1qa4rojo5_250.gifv

Now that the on-field coaching staff is complete I wanted to do my assessment of how it’s turnout so far. Overall I think we have an average staff. I don’t think it’s below average but I do think it’s barely average. For me there will be a lot of questions to be answered over the next couple years. I think the previous staff has left behind a good roster, even with the departures, not really good, but just inside the range of being good. What the new staff can do with these guys may not really be known until the 2022 season. jmo.

I think Heupel is a good guy and I like his biography as a player. Whether or not he can handle the SEC as a head coach at Tennessee is something to be seen. I think Danny White used his phone a friend lifeline to hire Josh when attempts to hire elsewhere turned out to be unfruitful. I like that Josh appears to have been methodical in assembling his staff and I hope that he can lead them in a more effective manner than his predecessor, which turned out to be a total disaster. Pruitt was his own worst enemy and never understood that. At this point that would be the least of my concerns with Josh.

I think Golesh is more like the assistant to the offensive coordinator while also coaching the Tight Ends. Josh, I think for all intents and purposes, is the offensive coordinator. Some head coaches can pull off doing double duty as a coordinator, even in the SEC, some can’t, especially in the SEC. I think Josh will also be the primary coach for quarterbacks. The kid he has in that position as a coach is not much more that a grad assistant, as far as I can find.

I’m leery about Banks as the DC. Brent Pry took over the DC role at Penn State when Bob Shoop left. As far as I can tell Banks was the safeties coach with an additional title. He does have some DC experience elsewhere, Illinois, Central Mich, etc., but I didn’t think any of that that I could find rose even to the average ranks. We have at least a couple other guys on that side of the ball with some DC experience so if they can work together maybe they can figure out a cohesive plan. He’ll need to earn the respect of his position coaches to keep them on board and if you’re green I think the best way to do that is shared collaboration. Apparently Banks has been very effective in his role as a safeties coach. I suspect he may also be valuable in recruiting.

I don’t subscribe to the notion that Pruitt didn’t know how to coach. I am firmly convinced, however, that he had no clue how to lead. I’ve worked with people like that before. They are tremendously exceptional at doing the job but put them in charge and the whole shebang goes into a meltdown. Pruitt, I think had character issues and certainly never evidenced any leadership skills. Quite the contrary I would argue. I don’t see the character issues with Josh and I’ll have to wait to see how his leadership skills in his new job pan out.

Anyway, that’s where I’m at right now. I think these guys may be able to pull out 5-7 wins in the regular season in ’21 with the roster we have and against our schedule. Eight wins and I think they will have over delivered based on my assessment and of course I wouldn't be the only one at that point to conclude that they might actually be pretty good. jmo.

Welcome to Rocky Top men.

ScreenHunter 668.png

This in an ESPN Magazine article from Josh's playing days entitled "Believe the Hype." I think it's a good biography and a good read. At the time of the writing Josh was a candidate for the Heisman and finished as a runner up to one of the guys we just let go. Obviously Josh has gone farther and higher that the guy who claimed that trophy but then I've always believed that the guy most deserving doesn't always get the award. In fact if you was to ask me any time since 1997 I would state for a fact that the whole process for the Heisman is rigged. jmo.

ESPNMAG.com - Believe the hype

Today I woke up in a @Catbone type mood...therefore I will share my negativity with all.
prediction: we will ruin all these high offensive stats and ranks that keep being posted in the marketing campaigns and never see the results this staff has seen at other stops in their careers bc...we are Tennessee Football.
And we will fire them and they will all go somewhere else that has a crappy offense to rebuild and immediately have a top five offense..

Today I woke up in a @Catbone type mood...therefore I will share my negativity with all.
prediction: we will ruin all these high offensive stats and ranks that keep being posted in the marketing campaigns and never see the results this staff has seen at other stops in their careers bc...we are Tennessee Football.

Sheeeeit if we have an ole miss type year where we can put up points and still lose it'll at least be more entertaining to watch than Pruitts "offense"

I think we are going 4-8. If we get to 6-6 I'll be very impressed. I expect us to be very inconsistent and have a few bad losses while having a couple games where we get close to knocking off a good team.

Wins vs TTU, Vandy, South Alabama, and Bowling Green. South Carolina is also winnable.

I think we are going 4-8. If we get to 6-6 I'll be very impressed. I expect us to be very inconsistent and have a few bad losses while having a couple games where we get close to knocking off a good team.

Wins vs TTU, Vandy, South Alabama, and Bowling Green.
I agree with these four but I think South Carolina is like us and a train wreck we can beat...also Pittsburgh is very winnable. Let's hope 6-6 and every wins helps with recruiting. GBO!

I agree with these four but I think South Carolina is like us and a train wreck we can beat...also Pittsburgh is very winnable. Let's hope 6-6 and every wins helps with recruiting. GBO!
Yes I agree with South Carolina. With Pitt we have an outside shot at, I think they're actually going to be pretty solid this year.

Can’t find the original quote, but assuming Achilles Tendinitis?

If I can add to your treatment plan:
1. Stretches: The post that you quoted was correct. Straight knee best stretch for Gastrocnemius (crosses knee and ankle), bent knee focuses on Soleus (1 joint muscle only crosses ankle) Two joint muscles are the most commonly strained. Take the stretch only to the point of feeling a pull in the muscle. Hold for at least 60 seconds for each repetition.
Do not try to get there faster by stretching into painful zone, brain/body would then identify the stretch as an injury process and to protect against it, tighten the muscle further. Slow and steady wins the race here.

2. Get Voltaren gel. Now over the counter. Use minimum 2x per day. Max 4x. Topical anti-inflammatory that will pass through the skin. Perfect for Achilles Tendinitis. Diclofenac is generic if your insurance still covers it. Strength is 1% whether OTC or Rx...

3. Buy a Futuro Plantar Fasciitis Night Support. Costs <$30. Worth every penny. Wear it every night. Keep it on your bedside table, put it on at bedtime, take off in the morning. Nighttime and sleeping is where you lose all the daily stretching gains. This will prevent the loss of progress and allow you to improve much quicker. I recommend this rather than the Rx brace. Rx brace much more expensive and not nearly as comfortable. https://www.futuro-usa.com/3M/en_US...-Support/?N=4318+3294508046+3294529207&rt=rud
You can buy it on Amazon, at CVS, Target, Walgreens, etc.

4. Most important part: Once the pain is gone, you are not done healing. If you stop when the pain does, it will return almost guaranteed. But the next time could be the big tear...
Once there’s no pain, can drop the stretching sets to once per day. Keep doing that and the Futuro brace for 2 months after the pain is gone. Then it will be a bad memory instead of a recurring nightmare.

Hope that helps you. Easily treatable, but a miserable experience if not treated correctly. Achilles tear is much worse. If you can’t get over the hump to better, find a doctor that can do an ultrasound guided PRP injection. Better than a steroid shot, but expensive. Insurance doesn’t cover. We charge $450, and we’re about 1/2 of the going rate in DFW... unfortunately, some doctors try to live off PRP/Stem cell injections and those clinics are pricey.

Sorry that this is such a long post, but this is exactly what I would tell you if I was treating you in my office...😎
Taking notes and bookmarking for use later.

1614789953912.gif

Pitt fans arguing over whether Banks took a lateral move to come to Tennessee:

Ace recruiter for them, huge loss. Had 4 guys from Michigan this year alone he was primary recruiter of.
This is like the 4th or 5th coach to leave Stanklins staff the past few years for lateral moves. Wonder what’s going on there.
Fans have a really bad idea of what a lateral move is. It’s not a lateral move to go from being a co-coordinator where you aren’t the playcaller to a coordinator where you are the playcaller. Just like it wasn’t a lateral move for Marion to go from a G5 position coach to a P5 position coach.
The OP hardly seems like a “fan” so not sure what you are talking about. It is absolutely lateral. Dc to Dc. He was at UPS for 5 years? I’m sure he got a pay raise.
Maybe he just got tired of looking at cows in a field!
Good get for Josh Heupel. IMO, he’ll need a well-rounded if he wants to succeed at Tennessee.
Again, “co-DC” to “DC” is a promotion when you go from “not being the guy who calls plays” to “the guy who calls plays.” When Gattis left his WR coach spot at Penn State for the co-OC/WR coach (not playcaller) spot at Alabama a few years back, or when Charles Huff left the RB coach at Penn State to be the Assistant head coach/RB coach at Mississippi State, those were closer to lateral moves even with a big pay bump.

But the difference between not calling plays and calling plays is massive when you’re moving up the ladder. It’s the difference between little more than a title and a pay bump versus actually being considered for head coaching jobs if the defense plays well.
Brent Pry was the defensive coordinator. Banks was the Co-defensive coordinator and did not call the plays. He going to be the defensive coordinator which is certainly a promotion.
Even if you think it's lateral, so what? He's going from one blue-blood to another. Hanging out at the top of the mountain isn't exactly a bad thing.
Not a lateral move... Tennessee is a step up from psu and is a better program in every way.
The goal for spending top 5 money is to make the CFP....period! Neither of these teams have done that but only one has spent that kind of money. TN is spending big money with this new coaching staff so you have to give them a few years to see if it worked. Heupel looks like a great hire to me! Not a lateral
Tennessee is a better program, more money, more fans, better tradition... just better in every way than ps...
Definitely a step up and this isn’t the first time Tennessee has taken coaches from ps. and I stick by the looking at cows statement!

At that point some poster showed up that they identified as a Penn State Troll and they started attacking him and enabler U with reminders of Sandusky and boys in showers. I left at that point. Gawd how Pitt fans must have loved watching the VolNation uprising back in 2017.

Pitt fans arguing over whether Banks took a lateral move to come to Tennessee:

At that point some poster showed up that they identified as a Penn State Troll and they started attacking him and enabler U with reminders of Sandusky and boys in showers. I left at that point. Gawd how Pitt fans must have loved watching the VolNation uprising back in 2017.
LOL at Stanklin.

Saturday
Sep. 4Bowling Green FalconsNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Sep. 11Pitt PanthersNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Sep. 18Tennessee Tech Golden EaglesNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Sep. 25at Florida GatorsBen Hill Griffin Stadium, Gainesville, FLTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 2at Missouri TigersFaurot Field, Columbia, MOTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 9South Carolina GamecocksNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 16Ole Miss RebelsNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 23at Alabama Crimson TideBryant-Denny Stadium, Tuscaloosa, ALTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 30OFFSaturday
Nov. 6at Kentucky WildcatsKroger Field, Lexington, KYTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Nov. 13Georgia BulldogsNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Nov. 20South Alabama JaguarsNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Nov. 27Vanderbilt CommodoresNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBA

Think you have to tier these:
Likely W's - Bowling Green, Tennessee Tech, South Alabama
50/50 leaning W - South Carolina, Vanderbilt
50/50 leaning L - Pitt, Mizzou, Ole Miss, Kentucky
Likely L's - Florida, Alabama, Georgia

Pitt is too early in the season to call one way or another. I'd think we'd still be gelling but it would be a helluva win early.
@ Missouri is asking a lot, but maybe Heupel gets the team up for a former employer.
South Carolina features a new coach as well, the game is at home, likely a bounce-back spot. Maybe our offense is clicking by then.
Ole Miss is at home, and will likely be a raucous crowd if we're filling it up, but Kiffin has a big head start on Heupel in a lot of ways. I do not envy our defense on this day.
@ Kentucky is also asking a lot, and they are a steady program now. Would be a tall task to outperform them on the road late in the season when attrition is catching up to us.
Vanderbilt is a huge game for both coaches, but I think we have the edge. Chance to end the season on a high note.

It bodes well for us that so many split games are at home.

I could see 5-7 with 6-6 as a manageable stretch goal. I think we have 3 wins coming out of the bye with Kentucky, Georgia, South Alabama, and Vanderbilt left to get to bowl eligibility. You just have to wonder if attrition, injuries, or attitude are an issue. You also have to think our defense is wrecked by then. Can we score 150+ points in the month of November?

Saturday
Sep. 4Bowling Green FalconsNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Sep. 11Pitt PanthersNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Sep. 18Tennessee Tech Golden EaglesNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Sep. 25at Florida GatorsBen Hill Griffin Stadium, Gainesville, FLTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 2at Missouri TigersFaurot Field, Columbia, MOTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 9South Carolina GamecocksNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 16Ole Miss RebelsNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 23at Alabama Crimson TideBryant-Denny Stadium, Tuscaloosa, ALTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Oct. 30OFFSaturday
Nov. 6at Kentucky WildcatsKroger Field, Lexington, KYTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Nov. 13Georgia BulldogsNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Nov. 20South Alabama JaguarsNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBASaturday
Nov. 27Vanderbilt CommodoresNeyland Stadium, Knoxville, TNTime TBA ETTV TBA

Think you have to tier these:
Likely W's - Bowling Green, Tennessee Tech, South Alabama
50/50 leaning W - South Carolina, Vanderbilt
50/50 leaning L - Pitt, Mizzou, Ole Miss, Kentucky
Likely L's - Florida, Alabama, Georgia

Pitt is too early in the season to call one way or another. I'd think we'd still be gelling but it would be a helluva win early.
@ Missouri is asking a lot, but maybe Heupel gets the team up for a former employer.
South Carolina features a new coach as well, the game is at home, likely a bounce-back spot. Maybe our offense is clicking by then.
Ole Miss is at home, and will likely be a raucous crowd if we're filling it up, but Kiffin has a big head start on Heupel in a lot of ways. I do not envy our defense on this day.
@ Kentucky is also asking a lot, and they are a steady program now. Would be a tall task to outperform them on the road late in the season when attrition is catching up to us.
Vanderbilt is a huge game for both coaches, but I think we have the edge. Chance to end the season on a high note.

It bodes well for us that so many split games are at home.

I could see 5-7 with 6-6 as a manageable stretch goal. I think we have 3 wins coming out of the bye with Kentucky, Georgia, South Alabama, and Vanderbilt left to get to bowl eligibility. You just have to wonder if attrition, injuries, or attitude are an issue. You also have to think our defense is wrecked by then. Can we score 150+ points in the month of November?

No reason to think Pitt is leaning L. Should be leaning W.

And no reason to have Vandy as leaning W. Should be in your first W category.

Def not scared of Mizzou or Ole Miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back