Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone in the 247 boards brought up Ricky Brumfield was the hire for ST coach.

One of the mods said there might be something there. He’s known BJM for a long time and just followed Tim Banks on twitter FWIW.

That would be a HUGE hire. He’s UVAs primary recruiter for Tennessee and they’ve done a hell of a job in this state the past 2 cycles. He’s the reason they’re in it for the Wade Twins, Fisher Anderson, etc

I haven't seen anything about Pruitt actually filing a lawsuit yet. As an attorney myself, there are two sides to the discovery of "dirt and negative articles" that can come out. If the university did its due diligence (which Plowman did), then I am guessing we have proof upon proof of Pruitt either doing or having knowledge of actions that support the exercise of the "firing for cause" clause. There are things that Jeremy Pruitt will not want out if he wants to ever be considered for future employment, notwithstanding any punishment from the NCAA.

Recruiting is non-existent because we are one month into a new coach who can only zoom with players unless they come on their own. Recruiting will turn up when this offense gets going.
I agree that I think we will win the case against him but who knows what his legal team could potentially spin against the university. It’s really hard to win cases where someone was fired “for cause”. His team could argue that his superiors encouraged him or something along those lines.

I know the reason recruiting sucks but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s bad. I hope the offense is good but who knows how many players will be willing to flip to UT from their initial commitment

One of the mods said there might be something there. He’s known BJM for a long time and just followed Tim Banks on twitter FWIW.

That would be a HUGE hire. He’s UVAs primary recruiter for Tennessee and they’ve done a hell of a job in this state the past 2 cycles. He’s the reason they’re in it for the Wade Twins, Fisher Anderson, etc
And an accomplished ST’s coach! Been awhile.

Maybe there are some sour grapes sprinkled in here.
But for me,
He just isn’t a star. He’s got potential.
He didn’t live up to star billing when he was forced to be “the man”
Star Linebackers don’t shrink. There’s never a doubt, there’s never where is he? Last season, there were games where he didn’t even do the basics at a high level let alone make spectacular plays that a star makes.
he’s not on the level of JRM, AJ, not even Bituli and certainly not even close to Mayo.
If he leaves, we’ll be okay.

I think he is really good but not perfect. The way the game is changing he really got exposed last yr in his weakness and his coaches did nothing to help him out around him to play to his strength and hide his weakness. We also had really poor line and edge play all year that exposed the back 7 even more. These issues probably existed the year before but we had more pressure on QB not allowing time to expose it. Pruitt planned to handle LBs to help Neids/Felton then he stupidly fired the DL coach and left those inexperienced dudes to themselves

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
There’s no added dirt Pruitt can add that can’t be added to our self-reporting piles and anyone who’s followed the Vols know that the negative articles about us are a way of life...even during the best years. Plowman had this dropped on her desk from someone who wouldn’t have lain silent. People who think we would have gotten away with it are deluding themselves for the sake of delusion...same as anybody who thinks anything would have leveled off with another inept Pruitt campaign. Get working towards something yesterday is the way.
Pruitt could definitely add dirt. Especially if he has emails from Phil and other administrators that encouraged him to drop bags. Then he can play the victim card.

Pruitt is the worst coach we’ve ever had. However, we either should’ve fired him and told him to go or let him get another year. It’s stupid to have an investigative organization with little man’s syndrome on your campus. They’re looking to show off muscle and I hope they don’t see UT is the perfect school to make an example of after LSU, UNC, AU, etc gave them the middle finger

Let me ask you this, in your lifetime which of the two has benefited you the most in your everyday life, a kid with a high IQ or a kid with a 5* rating?

Benefited -me- the most? The 5 star rating, I watch sports for enjoyment and the more 5 star recruits we have the more enjoyment I've gotten from the product on the field....

I'm not even sure I personally know a high IQ kid.

Nice. Staff really working hard on the instate class connections. UVA just got a TE from in state yesterday that I assume based on above is from this guy. His resume screams really good special teams headed our way and if it increases our ability to catch up in state relationships then it’s even better. I see he is a Louisiana native so that could be something to.

From Athletic Daily

2. Tennessee’s decisions were mind-boggling

We haven’t talked enough about just how crazy the Tennessee situation was and still is. The Vols might have voluntarily torpedoed their program with NCAA penalties because of one bad contract extension — and might not save money from it anyway.

To recap: Athletic director Phillip Fulmer gave Jeremy Pruitt a two-year extension in September, coming off an 8-5 season, at a time when no one was banging down the door to hire Pruitt. Tennessee then had an ugly 3-7 season and faced a decision: It could have paid Pruitt $12.8 million to go away — close to the same amount South Carolina paid Muschamp. Instead, it started an internal investigation into potential NCAA violations and later fired Pruitt for cause, which nullified a buyout.

Tennessee then paid around $6 million to UCF just to buy out athletic director Danny White and head coach Josh Heupel from UCF. It seems likely Pruitt could sue Tennessee, and if the sides come to a settlement like Kansas did with former head coach David Beaty after KU tried a similar strategy, Tennessee might end up spending as much money as if it had just bought out Pruitt. And now the program is in the crosshairs of the NCAA.

Why did any of this happen? Tennessee apparently couldn’t get its boosters to buy out another coach. But this move also came at the end of the coaching carousel. Any replacement candidate Tennessee wanted would have been available in the next coaching cycle. Did they need to pull the plug on Pruitt that badly? So badly it was worth potentially crippling NCAA penalties instead of waiting another year? That NCAA cloud then turned off a number of targets to replace Pruitt.
It just makes no sense.

I hate the new narrative that UT chose to do the internal investigation. If a compliance member overheard something that's part of the protocol isn't it? The entire reason you have those people in the AD is to do just what they did...

I guess hiring in a 3rd party law firm isn't typical for an internal though. I am also not sure we've put ourselves in the crosshairs, if anything the NCAA may look at it like they're off the hook. Cause other than a bowl ban or scholarship reductions what else punishment wise would they hand down? LSU Basketball seems to have far more damning evidence on them and the NCAA hasn't done ****.

I agree that I think we will win the case against him but who knows what his legal team could potentially spin against the university. It’s really hard to win cases where someone was fired “for cause”. His team could argue that his superiors encouraged him or something along those lines.

I know the reason recruiting sucks but that doesn’t change the fact that it’s bad. I hope the offense is good but who knows how many players will be willing to flip to UT from their initial commitment

The burden will be on him to show that UT breached their contract.

Pruitt could definitely add dirt. Especially if he has emails from Phil and other administrators that encouraged him to drop bags. Then he can play the victim card.

Pruitt is the worst coach we’ve ever had. However, we either should’ve fired him and told him to go or let him get another year. It’s stupid to have an investigative organization with little man’s syndrome on your campus. They’re looking to show off muscle and I hope they don’t see UT is the perfect school to make an example of after LSU, UNC, AU, etc gave them the middle finger
Add it to the list. We’re the open book that he’s never read. You don’t pay him for his ineptitude in cheating. We’ll get what we get but no genies to be put in bottles. He’s textbook fired for cause.

I'm speculating here but I'd say HT was getting frequent and substantial McDonald's bags and with the old staff being gone that's probably dried up. That money was probably used for trips from California to see jr play and other essentials. I'd say daddy is looking for another cash flow. We know there's no better source than Bama.

If anyone really believes fans will quit going to games especially after being locked in their houses unable to attend games this year then they are kidding themselves. Would it be full capacity maybe not but not enough for a admin to freak out and torpedo itself. No cost analysis was done. This was a booster led coup to regain power when everything was down and they didn’t want to give Pruitt/Fulmer a full spring and training camp and the addition of this class like Salter and transfers like Hooker/Big Kat/Gilbert/TJ Carter/Jammie Robinson that he had lined up to come here because they knew the record would likely improve next yr when adding those pieces

I am intrigued that you speak in absolutes. If this was a true coup, they could have paid the $12 million. I didn't realize that a couple of those transfers were coming here. But, hey, it's a message board.

If anyone really believes fans will quit going to games especially after being locked in their houses unable to attend games this year then they are kidding themselves. Would it be full capacity maybe not but not enough for a admin to freak out and torpedo itself. No cost analysis was done. This was a booster led coup to regain power when everything was down and they didn’t want to give Pruitt/Fulmer a full spring and training camp and the addition of this class like Salter and transfers like Hooker/Big Kat/Gilbert/TJ Carter/Jammie Robinson that he had lined up to come here because they knew the record would likely improve next yr when adding those pieces

The record would have improved from 3-7? Ya think?

I don’t know but having drunk Jim Ross narrate is what makes me crack up every time I watch that.

“HELL YEAH! GUILLOTINE!”
I love the last “you mf’s ain’t messing arounnnndddddd” had a bit more of a serious tinge to it after seeing jean jacket boy get tossed into a wall. Such a genuine reaction. Great narration. 10/10

I mean, the attendance numbers in Butch's last year at Neyland when we went 4-8 were 95,779 on average (7 games played there) and only one game played in Neyland was less than 95k and that was the very last one against Vanderbilt.

Pruitt's best year when we went 8-5 the average attendance was 87,864 on average (8 games played there) and in year 1 of Pruitt it was 81,361... So was already down almost 8k, I seriously doubt him returning after 3-7 would have changed the likely decline.

8k tickets at even a modest cost of $30 a ticket is nearly a quarter of a million in ticket sales, without taking into account the additional food sales of those seats unfilled. That's just for one season, you make a clean house type of move like we did and rebrand with a proven high scoring and exciting offense and CJH probably exceeds Pruitt's attendance numbers (if COVID restrictions allow it) within his first season here, regardless of w/l record.

So I do believe there is truth in revenue lost from ticket sales being part of the discussion.

His superior is gone too.

Nobody's that dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back