Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lot of sour grapes for Henry T in here

Kid is a star and we really need him here next year. Culturally, his dad is running the show though. I’ll hate it if he leaves. I really want to like him but once you take off that Power T its peace out unless you are looking for playing time, which I can respect
Henry T is a good player. He will definitely not be a "star" on a team like Bama. He is undersized no matter what we had him listed as. The truth is what you see on the field.

i

best advice I can offer is to prepare thine Jim's accordingly. This one time transfer rule gives all power to the 'all knowing, all powerful' 18-19 yo generation. It is total horse **** and will ruin the College game.

Why not watch NFL at that point? it will only help Bama and Clempshits to continue winning. I used to love CFB, pageantry, heart, etc.

Ive always scoffed at Pro Sports. That is changing.
College athletics is tracking professional sports: the transfer portal is like free agency......the power shifts from the University to the athlete who can "change horses in mid-stream" if he so desires and find a more "favorable" environment to develop his skills.........forget the investment the University has made to train and educate the student.....I'm not certain it will "ruin" the game, but it will surely change the game for people like us who have grown used to seeing a player developed at one school.......College basketball has become almost unwatchable for me because the one and done scenario gives a fan no chance to get used to a roster and see players improve over a few years

Cost-Benefit Analysis. While I wasn't screaming it, many fans were saying that another year of Pruitt would cost the university. Neyland might not have been full, and that's money too. I believe Kansas paid Beaty nearly his entire buyout, but I am betting that we have more leverage. We also saved on new assistant coaches. We fired a few for cause, and our new OC and OL coaches combined are being paid the same as Chaney. There is much more than this article dives into.
We handled it horrendously.

I’m glad Pruitt is gone because his teams made me not feel anything for Vol football anymore. We “played” with zero passion and there was zero creativity on any side of the ball. Pure dog ish.

However, we should’ve either fired him within a week of the A&M game, or let him get another year. It looked like he could’ve brought in some decent players via the transfer portal and maybe he would’ve gotten someone like tywone malone on the second signing day.

Now, if we end up not paying his buyout, Heupel ends up being a good coach, and the NCAA doesn’t hit us too hard, then it’ll be one of the most brilliant moves this dumb@ss university has pulled off.

He gave it every bit every second he was on the field for us. Other two couldn’t conjure up a second of gumption. Different scoring systems apparently but on the Webster’s definition of quitter...Toto doesn’t qualify.
I think you have to start something to quit it

College athletics is tracking professional sports: the transfer portal is like free agency......the power shifts from the University to the athlete who can "change horses in mid-stream" if he so desires and find a more "favorable" environment to develop his skills.........forget the investment the University has made to train and educate the student.....I'm not certain it will "ruin" the game, but it will surely change the game for people like us who have grown used to seeing a player developed at one school.......College basketball has become almost unwatchable for me because the one and done scenario gives a fan no chance to get used to a roster and see players improve over a few years
qualities such as commitment, loyalty, and perserverence are taught to be abandoned at a moments notice. Empty your mind of any and all emotion, and seek out the best option for you. That's fine, but, once you make that decision. You better stick with it. Least mine are taught that. Not always 100% but, 👌🏼

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Starting is enrolling. Anything after that is quitting. Two years worth of blood and sweat mitigates a ton.
I see it the other way... Henry put in a lot of blood, sweat and tears with his “brothers” and then turned his back on them when he was needed the most. Nobody depended on Gibbs or borque

We handled it horrendously.

I’m glad Pruitt is gone because his teams made me not feel anything for Vol football anymore. We “played” with zero passion and there was zero creativity on any side of the ball. Pure dog ish.

However, we should’ve either fired him within a week of the A&M game, or let him get another year. It looked like he could’ve brought in some decent players via the transfer portal and maybe he would’ve gotten someone like tywone malone on the second signing day.

Now, if we end up not paying his buyout, Heupel ends up being a good coach, and the NCAA doesn’t hit us too hard, then it’ll be one of the most brilliant moves this dumb@ss university has pulled off.

Your first and last sentences don't reconcile with each other. I do believe in the sentiment that if you don't believe your coach is the guy, then you go ahead and cut bait. In December, I wasn't sure how much covid had a role in this year and was willing to give it another chance. But, people inside the program obviously knew more than all of us. It was more than just coaching.

I don't agree that we handled it horrendously. Leadership was told of a problem, put a plan in place, and executed that plan. I said all along along that Plowman had a master's in strategic management, and she isn't dumb. We quickly hired a very competent AD and let him do his job. As you also say, it is way too early to determine how this will turn out.

From Athletic Daily

2. Tennessee’s decisions were mind-boggling

We haven’t talked enough about just how crazy the Tennessee situation was and still is. The Vols might have voluntarily torpedoed their program with NCAA penalties because of one bad contract extension — and might not save money from it anyway.

To recap: Athletic director Phillip Fulmer gave Jeremy Pruitt a two-year extension in September, coming off an 8-5 season, at a time when no one was banging down the door to hire Pruitt. Tennessee then had an ugly 3-7 season and faced a decision: It could have paid Pruitt $12.8 million to go away — close to the same amount South Carolina paid Muschamp. Instead, it started an internal investigation into potential NCAA violations and later fired Pruitt for cause, which nullified a buyout.

Tennessee then paid around $6 million to UCF just to buy out athletic director Danny White and head coach Josh Heupel from UCF. It seems likely Pruitt could sue Tennessee, and if the sides come to a settlement like Kansas did with former head coach David Beaty after KU tried a similar strategy, Tennessee might end up spending as much money as if it had just bought out Pruitt. And now the program is in the crosshairs of the NCAA.

Why did any of this happen? Tennessee apparently couldn’t get its boosters to buy out another coach. But this move also came at the end of the coaching carousel. Any replacement candidate Tennessee wanted would have been available in the next coaching cycle. Did they need to pull the plug on Pruitt that badly? So badly it was worth potentially crippling NCAA penalties instead of waiting another year? That NCAA cloud then turned off a number of targets to replace Pruitt.
I’m really missing out not subscribing to that virtual butt-rag. 😒

Your first and last sentences don't reconcile with each other. I do believe in the sentiment that if you don't believe your coach is the guy, then you go ahead and cut bait. In December, I wasn't sure how much covid had a role in this year and was willing to give it another chance. But, people inside the program obviously knew more than all of us. It was more than just coaching.

I don't agree that we handled it horrendously. Leadership was told of a problem, put a plan in place, and executed that plan. I said all along along that Plowman had a master's in strategic management, and she isn't dumb. We quickly hired a very competent AD and let him do his job. As you also say, it is way too early to determine how this will turn out.
So far it looks like we cratered the program but if all three of those pieces I mentioned fall into place, then it was a great move.

Only good news we’ve had lately is that I think we’ve hired a pretty good coaching staff. Bad news is that Pruitt is suing UT (lots of dirt and negative articles will come from that), recruiting is non-existent right now, and all our top players have left. Dumb move as of this point

I see it the other way... Henry put in a lot of blood, sweat and tears with his “brothers” and then turned his back on them when he was needed the most. Nobody depended on Gibbs or borque
The effort itself doesn’t sell the quitting factor. It’s all FAMILY unless WE aren’t part of the decision. I don’t know if Kirkland would have had success if he had grad transferred as he intended but it wasn’t a successful decision. Had fans criticize him even tho he was a UT graduate...which is supposed to be their purpose. Call it a FAMILY...but it’s a business. We gladly welcomed Brandon Kennedy fwiw.

So far it looks like we cratered the program but if all three of those pieces I mentioned fall into place, then it was a great move.

Only good news we’ve had lately is that I think we’ve hired a pretty good coaching staff. Bad news is that Pruitt is suing UT (lots of dirt and negative articles will come from that), recruiting is non-existent right now, and all our top players have left. Dumb move as of this point
There’s no added dirt Pruitt can add that can’t be added to our self-reporting piles and anyone who’s followed the Vols know that the negative articles about us are a way of life...even during the best years. Plowman had this dropped on her desk from someone who wouldn’t have lain silent. People who think we would have gotten away with it are deluding themselves for the sake of delusion...same as anybody who thinks anything would have leveled off with another inept Pruitt campaign. Get working towards something yesterday is the way.

Lot of sour grapes for Henry T in here

Kid is a star and we really need him here next year. Culturally, his dad is running the show though. I’ll hate it if he leaves. I really want to like him but once you take off that Power T its peace out unless you are looking for playing time, which I can respect

Maybe there are some sour grapes sprinkled in here.
But for me,
He just isn’t a star. He’s got potential.
He didn’t live up to star billing when he was forced to be “the man”
Star Linebackers don’t shrink. There’s never a doubt, there’s never where is he? Last season, there were games where he didn’t even do the basics at a high level let alone make spectacular plays that a star makes.
he’s not on the level of JRM, AJ, not even Bituli and certainly not even close to Mayo.
If he leaves, we’ll be okay.

No one asking the real question...

why this guy have his phone out recording in a bathroom?

Scouting?

iu

I haven't seen anything about Pruitt actually filing a lawsuit yet. As an attorney myself, there are two sides to the discovery of "dirt and negative articles" that can come out. If the university did its due diligence (which Plowman did), then I am guessing we have proof upon proof of Pruitt either doing or having knowledge of actions that support the exercise of the "firing for cause" clause. There are things that Jeremy Pruitt will not want out if he wants to ever be considered for future employment, notwithstanding any punishment from the NCAA.

Recruiting is non-existent because we are one month into a new coach who can only zoom with players unless they come on their own. Recruiting will turn up when this offense gets going.

Cost-Benefit Analysis. While I wasn't screaming it, many fans were saying that another year of Pruitt would cost the university. Neyland might not have been full, and that's money too. I believe Kansas paid Beaty nearly his entire buyout, but I am betting that we have more leverage. We also saved on new assistant coaches. We fired a few for cause, and our new OC and OL coaches combined are being paid the same as Chaney. There is much more than this article dives into.

If anyone really believes fans will quit going to games especially after being locked in their houses unable to attend games this year then they are kidding themselves. Would it be full capacity maybe not but not enough for a admin to freak out and torpedo itself. No cost analysis was done. This was a booster led coup to regain power when everything was down and they didn’t want to give Pruitt/Fulmer a full spring and training camp and the addition of this class like Salter and transfers like Hooker/Big Kat/Gilbert/TJ Carter/Jammie Robinson that he had lined up to come here because they knew the record would likely improve next yr when adding those pieces

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back