Game Thread: (21/21) Lady Vols at (22/23) Georgia

Beating a top five team, then looking that unprepared against a team you should beat reeks of Hollyball. Now all that positive momentum for the program, and Kellie having any chance at SEC COY... gone.

Disappointing, but not all that surprising...

6bac76c8102792b993f0007413b786c6_w200.gif
Joni Taylor locked up SEC COY yesterday, IMO

Reactions: stlvolsfan
Missed seeing Emily in the game since only got home from church in time to see end of 1st quarter. Surprised to see that she got two rebounds in only a minute of play.

This is using hindsight knowing how poorly we shot in the first half...and trying not to second-guess Kellie since she and the staff get to see their players every day in practice...but still feel that using one sub at a time to give a starter valuable minutes of rest and regain composure might work to the team's advantage in games like these.

Marta obviously needs some time to heal, so that leaves Destiny with the bulk of the sub minutes. We can only wonder if Jessie, Emily, and Tess could have held their own enough...and maybe even made contributions to the stat sheet...to perhaps have made a difference.

That, and the failure to use time outs to try to regroup during the early drought and Georgia run, are the only criticisms I have of the coaching decisions.
As badly as the starters played the bench
players couldn't have done any worse.

Reactions: creekdipper
I know alot of ppl are worried about a Lady Vol team post Rennia Davis (I am too)...but there was an SEC program that was in our position last year and that was Texas A&M they lost their prolific scorer to the WNBA Draft a year early and they became TransferU last April and now they are likely playing for an SEC Regular season title this week....The Transfer Portal can make us rich just like it did for Texas A&M but Kellie needs the right players that will buy into her system like Rennia did

umm I think it belongs to Gary Blair
COY awards usually go to coaches of teams who significantly outperform preseason expectations, unless that doesn’t exist. Everyone expected A&M to be good. Georgia was picked to finish 9th in the SEC and they’re in solo 3rd place now. They weren’t even believed to be a tournament team and they’re currently projected to be a 3 seed. That’s a textbook COY formula.

I know alot of ppl are worried about a Lady Vol team post Rennia Davis (I am too)...but there was an SEC program that was in our position last year and that was Texas A&M they lost their prolific scorer to the WNBA Draft a year early and they became TransferU last April and now they are likely playing for an SEC Regular season title this week....The Transfer Portal can make us rich just like it did for Texas A&M but Kellie needs the right players that will buy into her system like Rennia did
I'm not as concerned as most. Players develop over the summer and players usually get much better in their junior season like Burrell did. We just need the sophomores Key and Horston to make the leap. I think were in fairly good shape we only lose Davis and KK a lot of key players coming back plus a top ten freshman class by two services and top 15 by all.

I'm not as concerned as most. Players develop over the summer and players usually get much better in their junior season like Burrell did. We just need the sophomores Key and Horston to make the leap. I think were in fairly good shape we only lose Davis and KK a lot of key players coming back plus a top ten freshman class by two services and top 15 by all.

That freshman class could be the difference maker. If at least a couple of them can contribute around 10 minutes a game we will be much better. Right now we’re just so shallow it’s tough. Any foul trouble, injuries or tired legs and we’ve got nowhere to turn.

Hopefully with this being coach’s first real class we will get something more out of them. Salary has been a nice surprise and contributed where she can. She’s not probably a top SEC caliber athlete though.

That freshman class could be the difference maker. If at least a couple of them can contribute around 10 minutes a game we will be much better. Right now we’re just so shallow it’s tough. Any foul trouble, injuries or tired legs and we’ve got nowhere to turn.

Hopefully with this being coach’s first real class we will get something more out of them. Salary has been a nice surprise and contributed where she can. She’s not probably a top SEC caliber athlete though.
I think Salary is SEC caliber athlete...aside from Horston and Key I am interested in how Salary looks like next szn I am still hoping she can be a Meme Jackson type player for us she has shown flashes

Last edited:
Is this the same Horston who played well against Dawn's Sputtering Chickens?
As the ever astute poster bballnut reminded us after the SC game, playing "well" or "outstanding" has been defined way down for JH, indeed, all our guards. Very telling that JH shooting 5-13 and going 2 games turnover free (tho she lucked out on potential t.o.s several times) was reason for celebration. The soft prejudice of lowered expectations is not a good look for #2 recruit halfway thru her career.
Not sure she "feels the shot."
Precisely. At this point, JH feels nothing but the huge pressure of a grossly over rated and over hyped recruiting rating. She's the poster child for the HS phenom whose dependence on sheer athletic ability over bball skill so far has not translated to the top level college game. Nothing comes naturally to her. Her best shots are over guided toward the basket, her worst are flung bricks. All are products of her painful indecision, as is her ball handling problem. For all her athletic ability, she never ever looks comfortable.

JH very well may overcome her challenges, but IMO its going to take a good sports psychologist, and a total reassessment of her role. Even if she breaks big next year (please bball Gods), half a career is way too long for a recruit so highly prized. I feel badly for her; its not her fault the HS rating services missed so badly. Definitely any production we get from her this season will be a bonus.

Walker's actual shot looks alot better, but is no more successful at getting thru the net. By gosh she is tough litttle player tho, had 7 rebounds yesterday, behind only the post players. If she could shoot a lick IMO she'd be good enough to get us by at PG this season.

And let’s hope that the Portal does not hurt us. Now that Rae is showing what she can really do I would not blame her if she left to go somewhere and have a true shot at winning a NC.

And let’s hope that the Portal does not hurt us. Now that Rae is showing what she can really do I would not blame her if she left to go somewhere and have a true shot at winning a NC.
Now why would Rae leave😂...Kellie's coaching has done wonders for her and her confidence and next szn she will be the star of the team she wont have to share a spotlight with Rennia anymore I dont see Rae leaving at all from what I can tell she loves TN and has bought into Kellie blueprint for this program and lol and lets hope a certain player on the TN men team doesnt leave😏

COY awards usually go to coaches of teams who significantly outperform preseason expectations, unless that doesn’t exist.
IMO while the award should go to someone who significantly outperforms expectations (and that would include KJH) it usually actually goes to someone who wins championships or comes close. I'm always pissed when coaches of elite teams like Coach K or Calipari or Geno wins COY. They have a significant head start.
I think Salary is SEC caliber athlete...
Yes, I think the jury is still out on Salary. Seems like she'll at least be a very important role player in the future.
Now that Rae is showing what she can really do I would not blame her if she left to go somewhere and have a true shot at winning a NC.
Oh sh$t, have never thought about this! Thanks for making me throw my breakfast up in my mouth a little bit. Rae seems pretty devoted and the LVs have a chance to be really good next year so hopefully this never even gets considered!

Now why would Rae leave😂...Kellie's coaching has done wonders for her and her confidence and next szn she will be the star of the team she wont have to share a spotlight with Rennia anymore I dont see Rae leaving at all from what I can tell she loves TN and has bought into Kellie blueprint for this program and lol and lets hope a certain player on the TN men team doesnt leave😏
Well I don’t trust other coaches who knows the way things are working in the NCAA it won’t be long before they allow Coaches like Geno to come to our campus and recruit our players. The Portal giveth and the Portal taketh

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I think Salary is SEC caliber athlete...aside from Horston and Key I am interested in how Salary looks like next szn I am still hoping she can be a Meme Jackson type player for us she has shown flashes

I think she’s an SEC caliber athlete. Don’t think she’s a top of the SEC caliber athlete though. If we plan to compete for championships we are going to need girls who can contend for PoY, like Rennia. Salary could become a very serviceable PG and a great defender. Don’t think she has the size or the hops to ever be a big time scorer for us though.

If she can get to where she can pull the trigger from 3 and punish a defense for going under it would be huge. That’s one major thing we’re missing this year. Neither of our PGs are real threats from 3. Walker will shoot but her shot just hasn’t been falling. Horston mostly won’t even look to shoot it from out there right now. Would make us just a little bit harder to guard and open up the interior better for them to make the entry to Tamari from the top of the key.

Rennia could have left a long time ago to win a NC or hell even a SEC Championship lol teams would be line up if she decided to transfer BUT just like Re said "There is reward in patience, loyalty,and trusting the process"... I dont see Rae going anywhere
EuuKBwRXUAATwHW.jpeg

it won’t be long before they allow Coaches like Geno to come to our campus and recruit our players.
Ok now your really ruining my day. Rae as the next Westbrook? Wonder how long it would take our poster family here to turn on our beloved Rae like a pack of vipers if that happened.

Actually, when the new transfer rule was announced that was exactly my fear, pooling of all the talent at the top, coaches and players natty hunting via the portal. Would not be good for the game, unless of course it helps the LVs.

TAMU already had Nixon sitting out a year on the bench. They brought back Wells, Johnson and Jones, and Wilson after Carter left. So going into this season, their starting 5 was already set. Green, Pitts and Morris were just an added bonus.

I don think that Tennessee needs to pick up an elite transfer to replace Rennia. She will be taking a lot of points, rebounds and clutch shots with her when she graduates.

Ok now your really ruining my day. Rae as the next Westbrook? Wonder how long it would take our poster family here to turn on our beloved Rae like a pack of vipers if that happened.

Actually, when the new transfer rule was announced that was exactly my fear, pooling of all the talent at the top, coaches and players natty hunting via the portal. Would not be good for the game, unless of course it helps the LVs.
No one could blame a young lady for going somewhere for 1 year to get prepared for the WNBA or have a shot at the NC. Not saying it will happen but the off season will be so interesting. The Portal is not good for the NCAA.

I think she’s an SEC caliber athlete. Don’t think she’s a top of the SEC caliber athlete though. If we plan to compete for championships we are going to need girls who can contend for PoY, like Rennia. Salary could become a very serviceable PG and a great defender. Don’t think she has the size or the hops to ever be a big time scorer for us though.
I'm not convinced yet that Salary cannot be at least a very good SEC caliber athlete. Being a very servicable PG and great defender would actually be enough. We'll have other POY candidates If we had that right now on a consistent basis we'd be a much better team.
That’s one major thing we’re missing this year. Neither of our PGs are real threats from 3.
This has to be one of the worst 3 teams in history. That KJH has achieved what she has with no 3 pt game and a very shaky PG situation which requires constant nursing is pretty incredible. I pray any of the incoming recruits can both shoot the 3 and defend well enough to stay on the floor. It's a recurring prayer, been praying it every recruiting class for years.

VN Store

Back