Rick Barnes discussion [merged]

Oh really? And Martin went to multiple tournaments?

I shouldn’t have gotten involved, so I will stop. Using Martin in this argument is the most ridiculous thing I’ve seen, considering his history at UT.

I remember when Cuonzo Martin’s offense was boring and stale according to this forum.

How easy they forgot.

Reactions: VolGee4
Oh really? And Martin went to multiple tournaments?

I shouldn’t have gotten involved, so I will stop. Using Martin in this argument is the most ridiculous thing I’ve seen, considering his history at UT.
I agree he sucked, no argument from me on that. This was to illustrate how underwhelming Barnes ultimately has been when it counts.

Reactions: 08Vol
Pearl went to the Dance every year, plus an Elite 8. Devoe won the last SEC tourney.

Do you understand that you are replying to a reply to a comment about Barnes doing nothing in March? He has 40% of TN’s SECT finals appearances since the tournament was started again in 1979 and he did that in his first 4 years. He has signed several of the highest rated recruits in program history since.

BTW, Devoe only had to win 2 games in a 10 team conference for his SECT title and Barnes was a prayer of a bounce and a phantom foul by Turner from having 2 Elite Eights at TN.

There are two players on the roster that had more than one full season on the team at the start of this season. They’ve both missed games with injuries. If there ever was a year when pre-season workouts needed to not be disrupted, this was it.

Perhaps you have unreasonable expectations. “this will go down as one of the most underachieving BB teams in UT history”. Calm down.
Man I wish you were my boss. Always an excuse....

Reactions: brockytop and 08Vol
Do you understand that you are replying to a reply to a comment about Barnes doing nothing in March? He has 40% of TN’s SECT finals appearances since the tournament was started again in 1979 and he did that in his first 4 years. He has signed several of the highest rated recruits in program history since.

BTW, Devoe only had to win 2 games in a 10 team conference for his SECT title and Barnes was a prayer of a bounce and a phantom foul by Turner from having 2 Elite Eights at TN.
Well, his arse better start doing something soon becauae I’m sick to friggin death of UT being dog**** in everything. Sick of it.

Stop acting like Barnes is Gods gift to basketball. He is an average coach that has teams that underperform in March

If Barnes is an average coach then White has his hands full hiring a great coach to replace him.

Because we were a joke before Barnes got here.
Let's not go too far here... At the time Barnes was hired, 3 different head coaches (Green, Pearl and Martin) had taken Tennessee to the Sweet 16 since 2000. Now 4 have. Tennessee men's basketball is not a bad job.

Having said that, I do think Barnes is the best we can do.

What does that have to do with expectations for a coach you are paying $5M a year for?

If we’re expecting better results in March then that means you’d have to look at coaches that have Final Fours & National Championship are their resume.

None of those are leaving to come here.

If Barnes is an average coach then White has his hands full hiring a great coach to replace him.
Not saying he will hire a coach that is currently “ great “. He can hire an up and coming coach that will become great. I.e Bama and Nate Oates. ( btw, white hired him at Buffalo when he was AD there)

We did have the potential to be a dumpster fire, with what Tyndall left us with. I don't think it was quite that bad but Barnes wasn't working with a lot his first 2 seasons.

I agree but people act like this job was 2004 Baylor or something

VN Store

Back