The WRASSLIN’ Thread

Sorry my bad I meant to reply to the post that you replied to.
I would call Impact an Indie, at this point. They aren't what they used to be in terms of audience or production value. NWA definitely is an Indie and has been for at least 30 years. NJPW is a destination promotion for the folks from Asia, for Westerners it's not a final destination, generally. AEW is the only promotion, other than WWE, I wouldn't call an Indie from the perspective of American wrestlers.

Last edited:
I loved wrestling up until wcw fell apart.

I still watch old videos of the attitude era and nwo days and 80s WWF.

The wwe just feels so boring anymore.

None of the wrestlers have a savage, piper, rock, stone cold, sting feel anymore.

Am I missing something?
I tried to watch aew and snoop came out and it felt like a house show from when wcw was dying.

Why do I still find the old 80s stuff entertaining and this stuff horrible?

It makes the shock master look good to me.

Reactions: ACvol3
I would call Impact an Indie, at this point. They aren't what they used to be in terms of audience or production value. NWA definitely is an Indie and has been for at least 30 years. NJPW is a destination promotion for the folks from Asia, for Westerners it's not a final destination, generally. AEW is the only promotion, other than WWE, I wouldn't call an Indie from the perspective of American wrestlers.
Impact's ownership makes them not an Indie.

I loved wrestling up until wcw fell apart.

I still watch old videos of the attitude era and nwo days and 80s WWF.

The wwe just feels so boring anymore.

None of the wrestlers have a savage, piper, rock, stone cold, sting feel anymore.

Am I missing something?
I tried to watch aew and snoop came out and it felt like a house show from when wcw was dying.

Why do I still find the old 80s stuff entertaining and this stuff horrible?

It makes the shock master look good to me.

Reactions: NEO
Is that goldust?

Reminded me of the strap match between vader and sting kinda. Not bad.

Arn looks just like he did when he was in the 4 horaeman lol. Dude doesbt age.
That's Goldust at the end with the blue facepaint.

The winner was Cody Rhodes both are Dusty Rhodes sons.

Impact's ownership makes them not an Indie.
Anthem? They own a few niche cable channels. AXS isn't on the level Spike was, in terms of exposure. Heck they probably had more exposure on Pop. By that standard ROH isn't an Indie either. They're owned by Sinclair Broadcasting. I put ROH and Impact on about equal footing. Kings of the Indie promotions in the US. Talent tends to step up from there to NXT, AEW, or NJPW. There place in the pecking order is sort of like Noah in Japan.

Last edited:
Anthem? They own a few niche cable channels. AXS isn't on the level Spike was, in terms of exposure. Heck they probably had more exposure on Pop. By that standard ROH isn't an Indie either. They're owned by Sinclair Broadcasting. I put ROH and Impact on about equal footing. Kings of the Indie promotions in the US. Talent tends to step up from there to NXT, AEW, or NJPW. There place in the pecking order is sort of like Noah in Japan.
ROH and Noah aren't indies either. Indies are promotions that don't have significant financial backing and are mostly dependent on house show revenue. Also indies don't sign wrestlers to contracts. Sinclair is a huge media empire, that's why ROH were able to pay all of their employees and wrestlers for 7 months without running a single show last year.

ROH and Noah aren't indies either. Indies are promotions that don't have significant financial backing and are mostly dependent on house show revenue. Also indies don't sign wrestlers to contracts. Sinclair is a huge media empire, that's why ROH were able to pay all of their employees and wrestlers for 7 months without running a single show last year.
We seem to have different definitions. AEW have near universal distribution in the US on TNT, USA, and Fox. ROH and Impact aren't available on several major cable systems and Streaming Platforms. PPV distribution would have also been a factor, up until recently. But the internet has blurred that line. Impact didn't have a TV home at all a couple of years ago, and was primarily distributed on Twitch. They have gone though periods of having trouble making their payroll since losing the Spike deal. The Anthem deal is relatively new and they were owned by one or a few people. Dixie Carter was the sole stock holder for a while when they were on Spike. Were they an Indie then? Their contracts also don't preclude talent wrestling in the regional promotions at times. It just keeps them off other TV. It's a blurred line. At the very least AEW and WWE are on a different level than them.

We seem to have different definitions. AEW have near universal distribution in the US on TNT, USA, and Fox. ROH and Impact aren't available on several major cable systems and Streaming Platforms. PPV distribution would have also been a factor, up until recently. But the internet has blurred that line. Impact didn't have a TV home at all a couple of years ago, and was primarily distributed on Twitch. They have gone though periods of having trouble making their payroll since losing the Spike deal. The Anthem deal is relatively new and they were owned by one or a few people. Dixie Carter was the sole stock holder for a while when they were on Spike. Were they an Indie then? Their contracts also don't preclude talent wrestling in the regional promotions at times. It just keeps them off other TV. It's a blurred line. At the very least AEW and WWE are on a different level than them.
Yes Impact and ROH are both a notch below WWE and AEW but they aren't indies. ROH could be on the same level as WWE and AEW if Sinclair actually cared about wrestling.

Yes Impact and ROH are both a notch below WWE and AEW but they aren't indies. ROH could be on the same level as WWE and AEW if Sinclair actually cared about wrestling.
We'll just have to agree to disagree. It's kind of hard to define anyway. Maybe we need a 3rd category.

ROH and Impact and NWA are Indie Stepping Stones. You can look at it as the last stone to step on before landing in the big time or you can look at it as a different level. Either way, it's certainly more Indie in the type of audience than it is mainstream.

Reactions: JCHateSteve
ROH and Impact and NWA are Indie Stepping Stones. You can look at it as the last stone to step on before landing in the big time or you can look at it as a different level. Either way, it's certainly more Indie in the type of audience than it is mainstream.
They're sort of like mid majors in football. They can compete with the big boys at times. But they end up getting poached and have a hard time maintaining that level of performance.

Reactions: crusse10
I was flipping channels last night and stumbled upon Monday Night Raw. It has gotten to the point that it is unwatchable.
I actually thought last night was pretty decent compared to some of the last few episodes. Charlotte legitimately had her best speaking segment of her career.

I will say that I have enjoyed AEW Dark as much as or more than Dynamite the last few weeks. There are usually 10-12 matches on Dark with a lot of the young talent. AEW is going to be stocked for a long time with good talent.

I actually watched RAW replay last night too. I have to say the Miz segment and the Charlotte segment are about the only things I enjoyed on the show, and I never liked Miz. I fell asleep in part of the show. There is just no "pop" there anymore for me with WWE products. It feels stale and recycled. That's just a 50 year old dude talking though.

1970s/1980s Memphis wrestling fan here. Nothing modern comes close.

What was it for you that sticks out?

I’m a 90s kids so I grew up on the Attitude Era and Ruthless Aggression. I loved the violence, blood, suspense, surprises.

I feel today that wrestling has a ton of talent but no one that sticks out like an Austin/Rock/Taker. I also feel today that wrestling can be a complete spot fest or they just throw matches together with no back story.

VN Store

Back