Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess what I'm talking about isn't so much about scoring offense - but the way you score.

I am not debating whether or not we will score a lot of points and whether or not this offense will look good. There's no reason to think it won't in the vast majority of the games we play.

I just think pure tempo is hit or miss, won't work in a conference that plays actual defense, and won't work if we have a talent disadvantage to 4-5 teams on our schedule every year.

I will also be interested to see if we have the same issue Scott Frost has had at Nebraska. You can find a ton of WRs who fit what you want to do in Florida. Can you make that translate when you move north?

I agree, I expect to see some slight alterations to his offense closer to the tempo he had success with in 2017 at Missouri.

He shouldn't have those issues that Frost had. There should be plenty of athletes in Georgia, Florida, and Tennessee that we can still draw on. We're a lot closer to talent than Nebraska and we're still selling the SEC. All recruits still know that's the best path to the NFL even if we haven't been helping that narrative recently.

We also helped them out by running out there w/ one of the worst QBs I’ve ever seen play football.
Not converting 3rd downs makes playing those type of teams nearly impossible.
I’m not a Huge Heupel guy at all, he’s got a lot of warts but his offense will be successful, it’s the other parts of his coaching that I have to see pretty big jumps
Please elaborate. Seriously since you have seen it more than anyone else.

He knows how infuriating it makes us, I don't like that aspect about him. I used to listen to him and hubbs exclusively. I don't think DW is playing that game anymore. #Stoptheleaks
Dr. Danny Dubya is making sure that anyone making a living off of "insider information" and charging people for access, are completely shut out.

And I will be honest, I don't want a DC who is going to complain the offense is going too fast (@Kingston Vol is making it seem like every DC that's been interviewed is scare of this)! I want a DC and a defensive unit that welcomes the challenge to get stops and give the ball back to the offense to score again.

Saban bitched about tempo, but then figured out a way play really good defense while also playing fast on offense. Figure it out.

That’s easy. Vq has earned the trust over the years and when they say a candidate was offered the job that’s not an opinion that’s a report of a fact. Vq ain’t in the business of making facts up. They just don’t do that.

they very clearly know what’s going on in this search

I don’t get the constant AP doesn’t know anything replies. He clearly was all over the JH stuff. Been about as spot on as one could be in DC stuff with as hard as it is to get info from TN side.

And I will be honest, I don't want a DC who is going to complain the offense is going too fast (@Kingston Vol is making it seem like every DC that's been interviewed is scare of this)! I want a DC and a defensive unit that welcomes the challenge to get stops and give the ball back to the offense to score again.

Saban bitched about tempo, but then figured out a way play really good defense while also playing fast on offense. Figure it out.
I certainly think it's a factor, but not what is killing these deals.

I don’t get the constant AP doesn’t know anything replies. He clearly was all over the JH stuff. Been about as spot on as one could be in DC stuff with as hard as it is to get info from TN side.
Coaching networks talk more than old lady bridge clubs. That's where he is getting is info.

I wonder if Oregon fans are melting down this offseason.

Preseason top 6 but lost to Oregon St (2-5) and Cal (1-3).

Now their starting QB is in the portal.

If that stuff happened here this place would be nothing but threads begging for the coach to be fired.

Weird to me how everyone in the south wants Cristobal as their team’s HC.

Last edited:
That’s easy. Vq has earned the trust over the years and when they say a candidate was offered the job that’s not an opinion that’s a report of a fact. Vq ain’t in the business of making facts up. They just don’t do that.

they very clearly know what’s going on in this search
The VQ guys have contacts all over the country. DW can't control the information they are receiving from the other side. Who's to say this information isn't leaking from their sources from outside the UT AD?

Also, I keep seeing the narrative that coaches are turning us down because the job is too toxic or too bad a job, but I can't wrap my head around that. IF the job is really viewed that poorly, should there be no pressure?

If you come and have success you did the impossible. If you come and fail, nobody would hold it against you if the job is supposedly that bad. You'd still be able to find other opportunities because isn't that exactly what everyone expected to happen?

I just posted Mississippi State's time of possession stats vs. UCF's. That's a clear indicator of speed. Especially when you consider UCF was the most talented team in their conference, and Mississippi State was one of the least talented.

Usually better teams can hold the ball longer.

Yep. If you watch closely 247 and the others follow suit every time he/Vq reports something. It’s why we saw WR post his made up BS last night. 247 is just scrambling to make their customers think they know something.

Just make sure everyone on your team is naturally bigger, faster, and stronger. No big deal

Then I'm glad we are getting passed over. I don't want a DC who is worried about how they will be perceived for their next job, I want someone who is committed to figuring out how to play complimentary football with tempo offense.

I guess what I'm talking about isn't so much about scoring offense - but the way you score.

I am not debating whether or not we will score a lot of points and whether or not this offense will look good. There's no reason to think it won't in the vast majority of the games we play.

I just think pure tempo is hit or miss, won't work in a conference that plays actual defense, and won't work if we have a talent disadvantage to 4-5 teams on our schedule every year.

I will also be interested to see if we have the same issue Scott Frost has had at Nebraska. You can find a ton of WRs who fit what you want to do in Florida. Can you make that translate when you move north?

I agree with some of your concerns in regards to the offense being tweaked enough to work in our favor.

Then there's other concerns you throw out that I scratch my head over. Recruiting kids to UT is vastly different than recruiting kids to Nebraska, IMO.

I think there are legitimate reasons to be in wait and see mode with this new administration and coaching staff, but we need to be cautious about having an overly negative perspective before a staff is completed, recruit committed, or single game being played.

The VQ guys have contacts all over the country. DW can't control the information they are receiving from the other side. Who's to say this information isn't leaking from their sources from outside the UT AD?

I think some of that is true but with the house reports last night I highly doubt they have contacts with the chiefs. Others schools I get but that info regarding House came from Tenn imo

Yeah, I would think the offensive scheme is a known factor that scares candidates away from even getting as far as an interview. Something else is happening when we get to the point of agreeing to terms and compensation. Usually those are just formalities. It could just be that we are going after coaches whose teams really want to keep them, and they are stepping up to present competitive compensation packages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back