Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
For sure - but even that doesn't work anymore.

Offenses are able to go that fast because they call a lot of one-man or two-man routes - it has to be simple to move so quickly. Watch any UCF game and you'll see a ton of plays where there is only one read.

It doesn't work consistently when 1) the defense starts to figure it out and/or 2) when you're playing against someone like Patrick Surtain Jr. and a team full of great secondary players who can bridge the "tired" gap.
No offense works perfectly against great defense.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
I just posted Mississippi State's time of possession stats vs. UCF's. That's a clear indicator of speed. Especially when you consider UCF was the most talented team in their conference, and Mississippi State was one of the least talented.

Usually better teams can hold the ball longer.

Over the last 3 years, Heupel's teams had an average of 27.56 points scored against them per game.
Leach's 27.96...

I don't think that looks like one's offense is protecting the defense any better.

Meanwhile over that same time period,

Heupel scores 5.5 offensive TDs per game.
Leach scores 3.83..

I think Heupel's offense actually protects them more. You gave up a TD? Great, your offense is going to go get it back. There's room for error as a defense, cause the offense requires you to get less stops per game because they're going to go score.

Right, it's kind of an either/or situation.

Good teams can both hold the ball longer and score faster - examples would be what Texas A&M and Florida did to us this year.
We also helped them out by running out there w/ one of the worst QBs I’ve ever seen play football.
Not converting 3rd downs makes playing those type of teams nearly impossible.
I’m not a Huge Heupel guy at all, he’s got a lot of warts but his offense will be successful, it’s the other parts of his coaching that I have to see pretty big jumps

Seems like we're looking for a DC that specializes in pass defense which is pretty smart, considering most offenses in the SEC are pass first. Georgia is the only exception, and with Gus gone from Auburn I doubt they are run heavy.

Plus playing with a lead means the other team will have to pass more.

or maybe we haven’t found anyone that will take it
If they go outside of what they are looking for then they could easily find someone to take it.... they can’t panic and need to keep working through the list of guys that meet their criteria.
When I initially read this post, I thought you made a pretty good point. Still do, but here's a little of the difference between what Tennessee will be and what Oklahoma and Mississippi State are:

Central Florida was 110th in time of possession this year: 27:30 per game. The year before, they were worse at 25:42 per game.

Oklahoma 2020: 25th at 31:48.
Mississippi State 2020: 43rd at 30:57.

It is not simply that all high scoring offenses are the same. You can go TOO fast, which is why most teams have stopped using pure tempo 100% of the time. It is not a means by which you can have consistent success, especially at the SEC level.
this past year UCF had 20 secs difference in TOP than ole miss..... people around here loved lane kidding.

Over the last 3 years, Heupel's teams had an average of 27.56 points scored against them per game.
Leach's 27.96...

I don't think that looks like one's offense is protecting the defense any better.

Meanwhile over that same time period,

Heupel scores 5.5 offensive TDs per game.
Leach scores 3.83..

I think Heupel's offense actually protects them more. You gave up a TD? Great, your offense is going to go get it back. There's room for error as a defense, cause the offense requires you to get less stops per game because they're going to go score.
I guess what I'm talking about isn't so much about scoring offense - but the way you score.

I am not debating whether or not we will score a lot of points and whether or not this offense will look good. There's no reason to think it won't in the vast majority of the games we play.

I just think pure tempo is hit or miss, won't work in a conference that plays actual defense, and won't work if we have a talent disadvantage to 4-5 teams on our schedule every year.

I will also be interested to see if we have the same issue Scott Frost has had at Nebraska. You can find a ton of WRs who fit what you want to do in Florida. Can you make that translate when you move north?

Well, it ain't very clear to me. Can you explain why it ain't a tight ship, cause I most of the rest on here (like Shultz) know nothing.

No matter how many times we say there are no leaks that doesn’t make it true.

every single day we get more leaks and new names and more candidates turning us down.
there very clearly plenty of leaks

Reactions: windrider
Right, it's kind of an either/or situation.

Good teams can both hold the ball longer and score faster - examples would be what Texas A&M and Florida did to us this year.

FL only had the ball for 26:15 vs Vols. We won TOP in that game. Trask threw the ball 49x bc they were tryna win him a Heisman, not win TOP.

A&M definitely did own us in TOP.

If they go outside of what they are looking for then they could easily find someone to take it.... they can’t panic and need to keep working through the list of guys that meet their criteria.

this past year UCF had 20 secs difference in TOP than ole miss..... people around here loved lane kidding.

One counterpoint is that Lane's defense gave up more points and more yards than anyone. We will see if he can adapt. If he does not, he will be out after 3-4 years.

How can you tell a leak from an opinion/theory?

That’s easy. Vq has earned the trust over the years and when they say a candidate was offered the job that’s not an opinion that’s a report of a fact. Vq ain’t in the business of making facts up. They just don’t do that.

they very clearly know what’s going on in this search

Really curious what’s making these deals fall apart last minute. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it.

There aren't as many being made as the media/insiders are leading us to believe. I think DW is being very thorough in his interviewing/vetting process and hasn't gotten to "here's a contract" more than once or twice. Some candidates are pulling their name before it happens and that's being turned into "turned us down with an offer on the table"

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back