Game Thread: (16/19) Lady Vols at (6/5) Texas A&M

Horston 1 of 10 fG
Horston 3 turnovers...
Horston 0 of 2 for 3 point shots...
Horston 36 minutes for 2 points...

Another terrific outing by Horston

God I wish she could be benched.

Thanks for grabbing a point guard in the offseason Kellie... :rolleyes:

I went back and looked at some of her high school games to see what in the hell has happened to this girl and her outside shot....She was not much of an outside shooter then....Most of her points were scored slashing to the basket...She was usually the best athlete on the floor, but not the best "basketball player"...Not sure how she got such a high ranking, but what we see, is what she is...She's a nice girl, but a nice girl, not scoring points, is not going to win many games...Just the way it is.

Really , she should transfer next year and go to a team
where she can excel in her true position.
Tennessee is known for playing players out of position
which does f for the player or the school.
Play her at the position you recruited her at.
That's the issue Holly recruited her to be the PG, I am sure after the season Kellie will sit down with her and go over where she can better help them next season. She's played PG all her life she had a growth spurt where she went from like 5'7" to 6'1 and her high school coaches kept her at the PG position instead of playing her off the ball.

There was definitely some home cookin' going on. Tennessee was called for 21 fouls, while Texas A&M was called for 11. Tennessee shot 15 free throws, while Texas A&M shot 34. Does that make sense when you look at the rebounding numbers? Tennessee outrebounded Texas A&M 40-29 overall. Tennessee had a 17-5 edge when it came to offensive rebounds. That indicates that Tennessee was the physically superior team... and yet, A&M was getting all the calls.

I have been hard on this team, and I will be critical of them when they deserve it. They got hosed today. Plain and simple.
5 of those fouls were in the last 1:22 starting with the bad foul by Burrell on the three point shot by PItts.

It's not surprising that the more physical team gets called for more fouls.

I don't know where to play Horston because she has no skills at all shooting the ball. She is good passer sometimes and can get a few rebounds but she is around 30 percent from the field this season. That is killing us when she is taking double digit shots. She played better first half of the season. The last four games have been her worst shooting performances of the season.She is like 3 for 40 in the last three games.
I thought her bad shooting was because of her bad back.

Really , she should transfer next year and go to a team
where she can excel in her true position.
Tennessee is known for playing players out of position
which does f for the player or the school.
Play her at the position you recruited her at.
Bite your ******* tongue. Jordan is in scoring slump right now but she is an important cog for this team and undoubtedly will be a leader the next two years whether she plays point or 2.
I suspect you are enjoying stirring the pot

Last edited:
Bite your ******* tongue. Jordan is in scoring slump right now but she is an important cog for this team and undoubtedly will be a leader the next two years whether she plays point or 2.
I suspect you are enjoying stirring the pot.
....pot stirrers....rec

I watched her for signs something was up physically, I saw nothing except her shaking her hand in the 3rd qtr like she Jammed it a little. She is definitely in a slump no doubt and hopefully finds her way out soon. The thing that gets me the most is the lazy turnover passes. They are inexcusable from any player. She has potential but needs to quit hanging that head and play every possession.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Horston 1 of 10 fG
Horston 3 turnovers...
Horston 0 of 2 for 3 point shots...
Horston 36 minutes for 2 points...

Another terrific outing by Horston
Luv ya GT but don’t cherry pick her stats.
7 assists to 3 tos, 5 rebounds ( Rennia had 4, Rae 5) a block and a steal. She did a lot of good things in this game. Also, I checked her fg% from last year and it was the same as Rae’s but is off about 6% this year. Definitely a sophomore slump but not a lack of ability or want to.

When you Jordan Haters get your wish and she transfers out of here bc of the hating she constantly gets from the "fans",,,consider one thing,,,Look at the stat box and tell me what other ball handler did better, or does better:
temp001.jpg
SEC rank:
# 7 in assists per game

Last edited:
When you Jordan Haters get your wish and she transfers out of here bc of the hating she constantly gets from the "fans",,,consider one thing,,,Look at the stat box and tell me what other ball handler did better, or does better:
View attachment 351576
Not hating just discussing, she is better than what she is playing and you should even admit that. If she decides to leave because of posters on a fan board then so be it.

Reactions: 1reVOLver and glv98
5 of those fouls were in the last 1:22 starting with the bad foul by Burrell on the three point shot by PItts.

Being the superior rebounding team doesn't necessarily mean more physical... and there was home cooking today.

Being the superior rebounding team doesn't necessarily mean more physical... and there was home cooking today.
Some. The foul differential might have been 21-11, but 3 of those were when Tennessee was trying to catch up and were intentional, one was the bad foul by Burrell on the three and the other was when Davis was losing the ball and fouled. All in the last 1:22.

I went back and looked at some of her high school games to see what in the hell has happened to this girl and her outside shot....She was not much of an outside shooter then....Most of her points were scored slashing to the basket...She was usually the best athlete on the floor, but not the best "basketball player"...Not sure how she got such a high ranking, but what we see, is what she is...She's a nice girl, but a nice girl, not scoring points, is not going to win many games...Just the way it is.
Thanks for doing that research. I've asked this question about JH high school offense several times. I was afraid this was the answer. Not encouraging
Luv ya GT but don’t cherry pick her stats.
7 assists to 3 tos, 5 rebounds ( Rennia had 4, Rae 5) a block and a steal. She did a lot of good things in this game. Also, I checked her fg% from last year and it was the same as Rae’s but is off about 6% this year. Definitely a sophomore slump but not a lack of ability or want to.
She's a decent defender and a good rebounder. You want her on the court, in part bc there is just no one else right now. Walker gets us in an offense and moves the ball better but is just as poor a shooter and is also given to costly, careless turnovers.

I've long said JH should play shooting guard but now she can't shoot. And this is not just a soph shooting slump, it's a cavernous sink hole. Mediocre last year, plain awful this year, espec the last half dozen games. Frustrating as it is, and much as its hurting the LVs progress, I also don't think its lack of ability or want to from either Horston or Walker.
Oh yes 1 laughing after fouling a 3pt shooter!
I saw the play you're talking about and I don't think its fair to diss JH over that. It wasn't like she was rolling with laughter; it was a quick "damn it, that just happened" smile of frustration. And it lasted a nanosecond. I don't think its fair to judge players by every fleeting facial expression in the heat of a game.

Re: assists:

There were some very nice assists. Then there were the lob-the-ball-in-to-the-post assists that any competent guard should be able to perform. Then there were the ill-advised passes to players double-teamed or in a mismatch that was in the opponent's favor ending up in a turnover charged to the teammate. One of the main responsibilities of the PG is to recognize when your teammate is in a bad spot and not to handcuff them.

Let's say thay we allow for some mistakes being due to playing out of natural position. How does that account for poor shooting? If your natural position is SG, shouldn't you be able to shoot? How many SG make a living off "floaters" and "runners?" And if those aren't working, would a successful 2 guard insist upon stubbornly continuing to shoot thosr instead of pull-up jumpers? Remember that we're talking about a starter playing over 30 minutes, not a reserve. Forget h.s. rankings...shouldn't any starting player at any position be expected to adjust her game when something isn't working?

Rae Burrell makes mistakes, but she busts her rear guarding the toughest assignments the entire game. Should we not expect the same from all the players?

That foul did not have to called. 1:22 left in the game let the players decide the outcome. Right before that AM post player pushed Rae to the floor on an inbounds pass. I don't care if the refs call it tight or let them just be consistent for both teams. That was not the case today.

Reactions: Benionsopinion
Most of us do not personalize or imagine relationships with players as real people so the notion of "hating" them is just silly. And certainly, I for one, do not wish any of our players to transfer. That would also be silly.

And the other ball handler did/does nothing any better, except possibly getting us into an offense. That's the problem. They're both hurting us, and Salary is undependable. PG is our biggest current weakness.

If any player transfers because of fan forum comments, they weren't ready for prime time in the SEC anyway. C'mon, they've been elite players for a long long time, they know they get analyzed and criticized. They know whose criticism is important, and it ain't ours. Should have learned long ago not to go fishing around the internet for insults. Could find way better ways to use their precious time.

VN Store

Back