Game Thread: (16/19) Lady Vols at (6/5) Texas A&M

Rickster

VFL
  • "Tennessee holds an 8-6 all-time record vs. Texas A&M, dating back to Dec. 19, 1997.
  • UT is 3-2 in Knoxville, 1-3 in College Station and 4-1 at neutral sites vs. the Aggies.
  • The Big Orange women are 6-6 vs. hall-of-fame coach Gary Blair and A&M since the Aggies joined the Southeastern Conference.
  • Kellie Harper is 0-2 vs. Texas A&M and Gary Blair. Her 2015-16 Missouri State team fell, 74-65, in College Station on March 19, 2016, in the NCAA Tournament First Round. UT suffered a two-point home loss (73-71) on Feb. 16, 2020.
  • A&M is 2-0 in overtime games vs. UT, defeating the Lady Vols in an extra frame in two of the past three times these squads met in College Station."

The Ladies have a hard row to hoe the rest of the way. Suarez appears to still be in pain and we have to hope Davis is ready. All of the teams remaining on the schedule, with maybe the exception of Auburn, will be possible issues for the ladies. Is Jaden McCoy ever going to get over her head issue? Last year she appeared to be a good defensive player. It will be interesting the rest of the way. I still believe the ladies are up for the task.

The Ladies have a hard row to hoe the rest of the way. Suarez appears to still be in pain and we have to hope Davis is ready. All of the teams remaining on the schedule, with maybe the exception of Auburn, will be possible issues for the ladies. Is Jaden McCoy ever going to get over her head issue? Last year she appeared to be a good defensive player. It will be interesting the rest of the way. I still believe the ladies are up for the task.

I think McCoy is done. Kellie has had no confidence that she’ll return. IMO she needs to retire and open up that scholarship so we can get someone who can play.

Coach Jumper's prediction: UT 66 TAMU 65

Rae 004.jpg
EuJ6NceXAAAPqyq

Last edited:
I think McCoy is done. Kellie has had no confidence that she’ll return. IMO she needs to retire and open up that scholarship so we can get someone who can play.

Why, when we never use all our scholarships anyway?

Last edited:
Reactions: chuckiepoo
Our goal to winning is always 35 to 40 points from Davis and Burrell and 35 points from the rest of the team. I think were coming out and play a great game hopefully A&M will have a terrible shooting day and we'll take home the win.

What head issue???

Are we positively sure Rennia is making this trip?

I’m not. People on here have said this but the last words I heard from Coach were that she was “very hopeful” they would have Rennia back for Sunday. I think Rennia was actually sick, just a guess though. She didn’t outright say it but did mention a couple of times that even if she was available she wasn’t sure how game ready she would be.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
I’m not. People on here have said this but the last words I heard from Coach were that she was “very hopeful” they would have Rennia back for Sunday. I think Rennia was actually sick, just a guess though. She didn’t outright say it but did mention a couple of times that even if she was available she wasn’t sure how game ready she would be.
Was she actually sick? I thought she had to miss the UK game because of contact tracing protocols.

With or without Rennia, I think this will be a tough game to win. TAMU has a lot of weapons, balanced frontcourt /backcourt, and an assortment of guards coming off the bench that are starter-level for any of the of the top teams. They don't have much frontcourt depth, so they need to sit Johnson and Jones with foul trouble. If those two are playing 35+ minutes, I don't like Tennessee's chances.

Was she actually sick? I thought she had to miss the UK game because of contact tracing protocols.

With or without Rennia, I think this will be a tough game to win. TAMU has a lot of weapons, balanced frontcourt /backcourt, and an assortment of guards coming off the bench that are starter-level for any of the of the top teams. They don't have much frontcourt depth, so they need to sit Johnson and Jones with foul trouble. If those two are playing 35+ minutes, I don't like Tennessee's chances.

Coach very specifically said she was out due to “COVID protocols” someone asked if she was out due to contact tracing and she corrected them and said “COVID protocols.” She then said she was hopeful they would have her back for Sunday, but was unsure how game ready she would be. To me that sounds like she may have been actually sick.

They did confirm there was a positive test in Tier 1 personnel and from what I could tell everyone else was at the game. Players, coaches and support staff. Just no Rennia.

I don't think were winning if Rennia is not playing and if Rennia and Rae are not going for at least 35 points as a duo. A&M has not lost at home had one of two close calls. We'll have to find the level of play that we found when we played Arkansas and Kentucky at home or Alabama and Indiana on the road. We can do it going to take a huge effort.

I think this is it for her after this season so her scholarship doesn't matter this year. She won't be back think that had already been decided.

• "Tennessee holds an 8-6 all-time record vs. Texas A&M, dating back to Dec. 19, 1997.
  • UT is 3-2 in Knoxville, 1-3 in College Station and 4-1 at neutral sites vs. the Aggies.
  • The Big Orange women are 6-6 vs. hall-of-fame coach Gary Blair and A&M since the Aggies joined the Southeastern Conference.
  • Kellie Harper is 0-2 vs. Texas A&M and Gary Blair. Her 2015-16 Missouri State team fell, 74-65, in College Station on March 19, 2016, in the NCAA Tournament First Round. UT suffered a two-point home loss (73-71) on Feb. 16, 2020.
  • A&M is 2-0 in overtime games vs. UT, defeating the Lady Vols in an extra frame in two of the past three times these squads met in College Station."
Gary Blair took his beatings at the hands of Tennessee when he was at Arkansas. He has done a lot better against us at Texas A&M especially in the Holly coaching era. I remember we lost a game down there when she was coaching and had a ten point lead with a little over a minute to go in the game.

VN Store

Back