ESPN is hot trash

It's not just Vitale and last night, a few weeks ago Jimmy Dykes in our game went on for an entire TV timeout to TV Timeout about baseball and how he was named for a baseball player named Jimmy Dykes. Dykes is usually one of the better color commentators too.

And it's not just baskbetball and not just ESPN. Every broadcast now on pretty much every sporting event seems to be hyping another game. for a good 40% of the current game.

Reactions: I4Vols
We seem to agree a lot on this forum, but this one - no. If anything ESPN is Fox II and it's sucked for over a decade. I guess that's why they're losing so many viewers and lawsuits. ;) Other than that, Go Vols! Peace!
Yeah, if you like the fantasy land of Disney, you’ll be closer to the answer. Disney owns ESPN and ABC. It’s definitely not Fox that feeds its direction.

They're rstings are down. They are worse than they used to be. Their ratings are not as high as they once were. ESPN SUCKS!!!!!!!

Cool story. So is everyone's ratings. Do I need to say it a 3rd time or are you just just going to yell back the same thing?

Dicky V and Corso both need to be put out to pasture. It’s just sad watching Corso these days but Dick is just annoying he offers nothing of substance to the broadcast just won’t shut up.

Yeah. Corso was really rough after his stroke and actually has improved better than I thought he would, but it's still obvious he struggles some. Dickie V just rambles now. He's like going to see Grandpa in his advanced years and he starts talking about God knows what. And at least they have the sense not to have Corso do game commentary.

Reading all the posts made me realize, that even during the COVID pandemic when I've been home way too much, I just have not watched bball other than Vols/LadyVol games. Almost nil of any other games, unusual for a sports nut.
I caught a few minutes of the UNC-Duke game, but got sick in my stomach listening to the announcers butt kissing two crappy teams and their bigger than life coaches.

I guarantee if Kentucky was the one making the comeback, all attention would be given to the game. Thank goodness Bob and Bert's broadcast was for once in sync with the TV. Usually it is ahead or behind. If I would have listened to "the fingernails on the chalkboard" yapping of Vitale, my wife would have never been able to go to bed as early as she did due to my screaming at the TV idiots.

Reading all the posts made me realize, that even during the COVID pandemic when I've been home way too much, I just have not watched bball other than Vols/LadyVol games. Almost nil of any other games, unusual for a sports nut.
I caught a few minutes of the UNC-Duke game, but got sick in my stomach listening to the announcers butt kissing two crappy teams and their bigger than life coaches.

Sports ratings were actually terrible during the pandemic across all networks. Some of it is probably due to them being moved around and being on during the "wrong time" but it was pretty amazing seeing it happen almost across the boad. The NBA Finals, the World Series, the Stanley Cup, the US Open, the Masters, and the Kentucky Derby all had record low ratings. The NFL and college football also had lower ratings but not nearly to the extent of the other sports.

Personally I think a big part of it is people went a few months with no sports and kinda realized they didn't need them as much as they thought.

I'm not yelling at you. I'm only referring to ESPN. You don't need to say snything. But thanks anyway.

Yes, and I know you're trying to build a narrative but leaving out that eveyrone's ratings are way down kind of kills said narrative.

And you need a spellcheck.

I just got the chance to watch the game this morning without knowing the outcome. I’ve watched sports on TV for over 50 years and this broadcast was absolutely the worst I can ever remember. Dickie V is so terrible that I mute the entire game when he’s announcing. That senile codger talks about everything except the game being played. Occasionally when I can’t determine a call I’ll rewind and unmute and it’s about 50/50 if Dickie V and dufus partner will tell the call.

To top the incompetence off, in the final 2 minutes of the game with the outcome still in question, ESPN goes split screen to show those 2 bafoons. I honestly don’t think if you had a contest to see who could do the worst sports broadcast possible that anyone could have done a worse job.
They spent the 2nd half of the Kansas game apologizing for Kansas.

If you thought Dicky V was bad, you should have tryed to watch the next game. USC/UCLA. Bill Walton is much worse.
Walton and the other guy got heated two weeks ago, which Pasch said paraphrasing “ we have a game to call, let’s get back on topic & not all this silliness “ he clearly doesn’t like Walton’s free and loose craziness!

It's not just Vitale and last night, a few weeks ago Jimmy Dykes in our game went on for an entire TV timeout to TV Timeout about baseball and how he was named for a baseball player named Jimmy Dykes. Dykes is usually one of the better color commentators too.

And it's not just baskbetball and not just ESPN. Every broadcast now on pretty much every sporting event seems to be hyping another game. for a good 40% of the current game.

COVID. Analysts aren’t as focused not being at games and it’s ruining broadcasts.

ESPN is MSNBC ll and it's sucked for over a decade. I guess that's why they're losing so many viewers.
Vitale is the definition of bull sh——er! I, too, mute the broadcast when I hear his obnoxious voice. In fact, the only reason I tuned in earlier to watch a little of the UNC-Duke game was to see who the announcers were. When I did not hear big mouth, I knew we were in for a long night. Couple that with the horrible SEC officiating crew and it was all I could do to watch the whole game. Go Vols!

VN Store

Back