Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

That was a classic IMO. Both SEC/UCONN matchups have been really fun to watch. The SC matchup promises just as much in such a different manner!

Dungee’s performance made one of the best defensive programs in history look like it was standing still. Could. Not. Guard. Her. That inspired her teammates and she drew so much attention in that second half they lit them up.

Special shout out to Mir McLean, who is quickly establishing herself as one of the nation's Elite Floppers...just 10 games into her collegiate career. Her signature "chicken wing flapping takeoff" as she's thrown 10 feet backwards when bumped by a 5'8 125 lb guard is sure to make SportsCenter highlights after every game. She must have attended a lot of Coach K's basketball camps growing up.

I fully expect her to become airborne vs. SC.

All really good. Here is my ranking

1. Bueckers
2. Clark
3. Van Lith
4. PaoPao

Although I would rank PaoPao No. 1 in name only, Bueckers gets my vote for FOY to date. Clark has scored more points and a slight advantage on assists and rebounding, Bueckers is so much more efficient. Her shooting percentages are off the charts even with that bad shooting game against Tennessee.
Bueckers is also on the court with a #1, #2, and #4. Clark would be more efficient with better talent around her. She is literally carrying Iowa this season, and this is against better overall teams than Paige has played to date.

Bueckers will win, but I think Clark is more deserving.

Reactions: ruvol
Bueckers is also on the court with a #1, #2, and #4. Clark would be more efficient with better talent around her. She is literally carrying Iowa this season, and this is against better overall teams than Paige has played to date.

Bueckers will win, but I think Clark is more deserving.
Doubtful she would shoot 55% from the field and 50+% on threes with better talent. But she is an amazing talent.

All really good. Here is my ranking

1. Bueckers
2. Clark
3. Van Lith
4. PaoPao

Although I would rank PaoPao No. 1 in name only, Bueckers gets my vote for FOY to date. Clark has scored more points and a slight advantage on assists and rebounding, Bueckers is so much more efficient. Her shooting percentages are off the charts even with that bad shooting game against Tennessee.

I believe Bueckers is 53% compared to Clark's 46%, but I'm guessing that Clark has to take more shots due to Iowa's having less scoring threats (in theory, anyway).

How do their schedules compare? That also has a lot to do with scoring efficiency.

If either wants to transfer to Tennessee, I think we could find a spot on the roster. Might even find room for both.

I believe Bueckers is 53% compared to Clark's 46%, but I'm guessing that Clark has to take more shots due to Iowa's having less scoring threats (in theory, anyway).

How do their schedules compare? That also has a lot to do with scoring efficiency.

Iowa has met considerably more length and defense this season. To me it is mostly about how Clark controls the floor. She’s the leader for every minute she’s on the floor. No questions. Bueckers doesn’t have that consistently yet. She seems to kick it on late in games. If she becomes even more aggressive she’ll be truly unstoppable.

Reactions: Amb3096
West Virginia over TCU 38 to 35 at halftime. I think W Va. is going to miss that big center especially on defense she was giving them 14 minutes a game and was usually contributing to several stops on defense. TCU is 2 and 7 in the Big 12 but they are hanging in with W Va at least for a half.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Doubtful she would shoot 55% from the field and 50+% on threes with better talent. But she is an amazing talent.
Bueckers gets better looks because of all the scoring threats around her. And as VolBall09 pointed out, there's a big difference in level of competition. The B10 is much, much stronger than the BEast. The fact that Caitlin shoots 46% when she's got the full attention of the opposing defenses in a tough conference is pretty amazing.

West Virginia getting it down defensively. They’re still a pretty balanced team. Cold shooting night for most of the team but Gondrezick and Martinez are carrying them a long way. If they put the pieces together a bit more they could win the Big 12.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Bueckers gets better looks because of all the scoring threats around her. And as VolBall09 pointed out, there's a big difference in level of competition. The B10 is much, much stronger than the BEast. The fact that Caitlin shoots 46% when she's got the full attention of the opposing defenses in a tough conference is pretty amazing.
I've watched enough of her play to think that she doesn't get better looks than anyone else. She has to work for them. I've also seen her get the full attention of the opponents. And the same for Clark.

I would concur. What’s interesting is this senior class was when Tennessee had a #1 recruiting class with Davis, Westbrook, Hayes, Kushkituah

🤧

I honestly don’t want to say it’s disappointing, but it is. The 4 of them have developed well under their respective new coaches. Although I do think Evina’s scoring would not have gone down had she stayed, she’s still playing well with a 4 to 1 assist to turnover ratio. Hayes is a high volume shooter/scorer but it’s what her new team needs and she’s delivering. Davis is a potential lottery pick. KK has developed into truly being a useful/valuable player.

I've watched enough of her play to think that she doesn't get better looks than anyone else. She has to work for them. I've also seen her get the full attention of the opponents. And the same for Clark.

I stand by my statement that Paige has played a much weaker schedule than Caitlin. Against the 3 ranked teams, Paige is shooting 43% overall and 53% from deep. And two of those teams (Arkansas and DePaul) aren't exactly known for defense. She had a career high vs. Arkansas...just like Katie Benzan did (who actually beats Paige as a 50/40/90 player).

Swap out Paige for Caitlin, and I don't think that Paige will be shooting 55% and 50% from deep against the B10 defenses.

Swap out Paige for Caitlin, and I don't think that Paige will be shooting 55% and 50% from deep against the B10 defenses.

But the flipside is Paige's scoring average would be a lot higher, since she would have to be the one to carry Iowa (and she's good enough to). Caitlin might shoot more efficiently, but likely wouldn't average more than 20 points playing in a balanced UConn lineup.

Tough call...

But the flipside is Paige's scoring average would be a lot higher, since she would have to be the one to carry Iowa (and she's good enough to). Caitlin might shoot more efficiently, but likely wouldn't average more than 20 points playing in a balanced UConn lineup.

Tough call...
I agree. They are both great players. But right now, Iowa expects/needs more from Caitlin day in/out than UConn needs from Paige. I do think that if they swapped teams, they would match what the other is currently bringing to the table.

Either one is a deserving winner.

Special shout out to Mir McLean, who is quickly establishing herself as one of the nation's Elite Floppers...just 10 games into her collegiate career. Her signature "chicken wing flapping takeoff" as she's thrown 10 feet backwards when bumped by a 5'8 125 lb guard is sure to make SportsCenter highlights after every game. She must have attended a lot of Coach K's basketball camps growing up.

I fully expect her to become airborne vs. SC.
I think she learned that from the Notre Dame women.

West Virginia getting it down defensively. They’re still a pretty balanced team. Cold shooting night for most of the team but Gondrezick and Martinez are carrying them a long way. If they put the pieces together a bit more they could win the Big 12.
Not so fast my friend. Moon Ursin has finally put the pieces together.

Full Moon fever: Ursin leads the way as Lady Bears stomp TCU, 82-49

It was Ursin’s fifth straight game of 12 or more points. That stretch includes a couple of double-doubles as she has averaged 17.6 points eight rebounds since the calendar turned to 2021.

VN Store

Back