Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

This was easily the most entertaining game of the season so far. The beauty of it is that UConn can't even say that they played that badly. Normally, they play great team defense, but Dungee & Co. shredded their defense to pieces. I was one of the ones who thought that Arkansas would get slaughtered, but they had a great game plan...especially on defense. They were not going to let ONO hold a layup clinic and they swarmed her and frustrated her into turnovers and checking out. I have to say that Tennessee was much better prepared for Arkansas defensively than UConn was. Why would you zone a team that has a love affair with the 3-point shot?

Arkansas is definitely not a team that you want to run into during the tournament. They can get hot in a hurry!

This was easily the most entertaining game of the season so far. The beauty of it is that UConn can't even say that they played that badly. Normally, they play great team defense, but Dungee & Co. shredded their defense to pieces. I was one of the ones who thought that Arkansas would get slaughtered, but they had a great game plan...especially on defense. They were not going to let ONO hold a layup clinic and they swarmed her and frustrated her into turnovers and checking out. I have to say that Tennessee was much better prepared for Arkansas defensively than UConn was. Why would you zone a team that has a love affair with the 3-point shot?

Arkansas is definitely not a team that you want to run into during the tournament. They can get hot in a hurry!

Their coach is impressive. I watched his interview and he must have a photographic memory given the details and analysis of the game that was rolling off his tongue.

Yes one of the most bone headed coaching decisions I have seen Geno make (and he rarely makes them), I asked myself the same thing like why are you in a zone? Tell your players man up and if someone is getting beat, you switch defenders.

Yes one of the most bone headed coaching decisions I have seen Geno make (and he rarely makes them), I asked myself the same thing like why are you in a zone? Tell your players man up and if someone is getting beat, you switch defenders.

UConn normally plays very good team defense, even if they don't have the most athletic players. They rotate quickly and communicate well. That's why I was surprised he tried to zone a team that is designed to pick apart a zone.

I was entertained by UConn's backup center. She will be good, but damn she's like a bowling ball on the court. Just picked up your 4th foul? No problem! Just bulldoze into a stationary Arkansas player on the other end on the next position to take a permanent seat on the bench. Their lack of consistency in the low post will be the reason they aren't cutting down nets in April.

I didn't think Arkansas would get slaughtered at all, but I thought UCONN would probably outscore them on the glass.

It was a wildly entertaining game. I agree with the idea that UCONN as a whole didn't play terribly. A little humbling on the defensive end for sure.

I got a little timeout from the Boneyard for giving a UCONN fan a mild tweak about the poster's past troll about Arkansas-South Carolina game, so I guess they must be sensitive about it. Didn't seem much, but maybe I have lost perspective.

Bueckers has the edge in both categories.

On the other hand, Clark averages more rebounds and assists and about eight points higher scoring avg.

Guess a lot depends upon what your team needs from you.
I agree. One thing though, Clark takes a lot more shots than Paige. Geno wants Paige her to take more shots. Clark would love playing for Geno because she likes to take a lot of shots.

I didn't think Arkansas would get slaughtered at all, but I thought UCONN would probably outscore them on the glass.

It was a wildly entertaining game. I agree with the idea that UCONN as a whole didn't play terribly. A little humbling on the defensive end for sure.

I got a little timeout from the Boneyard for giving a UCONN fan a mild tweak about the poster's past troll about Arkansas-South Carolina game, so I guess they must be sensitive about it. Didn't seem much, but maybe I have lost perspective.
I checked out the Boneyard after the game. It was entertaining! My favorite was the pre-game analysis from cferraro (whom I remember from our days on the ESPN board). It was something like this.

"Chelsea Dungee vs. Aubrey Griffin: Dungee is considered by many to be a first-team All American and one of the best scorers in the country. She can score on drives and is an excellent outside shooter and can draw fouls and frequently get to the free throw line. I think Griffin is really good. EDGE - EVEN"

It pleases me to see that they realize that UConn isn't as good as they thought they were. Don't get me wrong...they're still plenty good, but I don't think any of the BYers will be surprised when another team is holding the big trophy in April.

I agree. One thing though, Clark takes a lot more shots than Paige. Geno wants Paige her to take more shots. Clark would love playing for Geno because she likes to take a lot of shots.

I think you mean Geno would love Clark playing for him 😉 ... Naw she and Paige are gonna be GOOD

The latest Charlie Creme Bracketology has the LadyVols going to the NCAA Tournament as a #4 seed opening the NCAA Tournament against UT-Martin.

Bracketology with Charlie Creme
Although I don't expect Tennessee's #4 seeding to change in the latest update, I suspect that it would be vs. Stanford as a #1 instead of NC State when the revisions are made after yesterday's upsets.

Just a prediction, but I think Mississippi State will loose at least two players to the transfer portal this year. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them was Rickea Jackson. Nikki doesn't have playing that team playing super well. They have way too much talent to be 3-4 in the SEC. I always expect some turnover after season one under a first year head coach. I could be wrong, but it will be interesting to see how their season unfolds.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Just a prediction, but I think Mississippi State will loose at least two players to the transfer portal this year. I wouldn't be surprised if one of them was Rickea Jackson. Nikki doesn't have playing that team playing super well. They have way too much talent to be 3-4 in the SEC. I always expect some turnover after season one under a first year head coach. I could be wrong, but it will be interesting to see how their season unfolds.

The 4 losses were SC, UK, Alabama and TAMU. None of them were horrible. But they have work cut out for them. They basically can't lose to anyone else and need to beat UK and 'Bama in their rematches.

I think Nikki has a shot at keeping the team intact if they can finish SEC play strong, but tack on another 3-4 losses and I can see Jackson, Carter, Hayes and Mingo-Young moving on.

Reactions: Volfan1017

Many UConn fans at the Boneyard have saying how overrated Baylor was because they lost to Arkansas. Any praise of Baylor was met with "well they lost to Arkansas. Now they have to come up with a new narrative since UConn lost to Arkansas too.

I agree. I think, if anyone, Rickea will find a home elsewhere. Her talents are being grossly misused and she was benched earlier in the season. They have looked frustrated and lack luster the last few times I’ve watched them.

Jackson would look great in Orange IMO :)

Many UConn fans at the Boneyard have saying how overrated Baylor was because they lost to Arkansas. Any praise of Baylor was met with "well they lost to Arkansas. Now they have to come up with a new narrative since UConn lost to Arkansas too.

Just like all of our fans saying UT’s win over Arkansas was meaningless because, “they’re obviously overrated and losing to all these SEC teams.”

How bout now y’all!?

Turns out we’re just in an extremely tough conference this year. Who’d a thunk it?

I agree. I think, if anyone, Rickea will find a home elsewhere. Her talents are being grossly misused and she was benched earlier in the season. They have looked frustrated and lack luster the last few times I’ve watched them.

Jackson would look great in Orange IMO :)

she and Jordan Horston are good friends...

She may end up in orange just the burnt version 🙄

Reactions: VolBall09
she and Jordan Horston are good friends...

She may end up in orange just the burnt version 🙄

Yep, could see her going to play for Vic again as well. He knew what to do with her. Moved her around a lot like Vivians and worked her into spots she could get her shot.

Not unlike what we’ve seen Kellie do with Rennia this season. She could slide right in there if Re moves on...

Last edited:

VN Store

Back