Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Apologies if this has been discussed and I missed it.
Are the teams that have canceled their seasons e.g. Vandy, Duke, allowed to hold practices? I feel like the NCAA should prohibit that. Somewhat like teams who do not receive bowl invitations can not practice after their last game.

Apologies if this has been discussed and I missed it.
Are the teams that have canceled their seasons e.g. Vandy, Duke, allowed to hold practices? I feel like the NCAA should prohibit that. Somewhat like teams who do not receive bowl invitations can not practice after their last game.
I doubt the NCAA nor the SEC placed any restrictions on practicing when determining opt out options for individuals or teams. I do agree they should have.

Reactions: VA_VOLFAN
Sorry, but I have to disagree about prohibiting practices for teams who have opted out. Those programs can have much more control over on-campus practices, housing, etc. than those who play. The latter are in other arenas/gyms (including locker rooms), hotels, planes, etc. where they could be exposed. Ditto for close contact with players from other teams, officials, and others.

The players are already being punished by not getting to play, even if they voted for the opt-out. They don't get to compete, don't test themselves against opponents, don't get tv exposure, don't get to travel, don't get to face rivals, and all of the other benefits that come with playing. The only "advantage" they get is having more time to work on skills and fundamentals, but that pales in comparison to playing. Their decision has disrupted schedules, but so have other cancellations and postponements.

IMO, prohibiting or restricting practices would simply be adding more punishment and would send the message that schools and coaches are not allowed to make decisions they feel is in their athletes' best interest without facing sanctions.

Sorry, but I have to disagree about prohibiting practices for teams who have opted out. Those programs can have much more control over on-campus practices, housing, etc. than those who play. The latter are in other arenas/gyms (including locker rooms), hotels, planes, etc. where they could be exposed. Ditto for close contact with players from other teams, officials, and others.

The players are already being punished by not getting to play, even if they voted for the opt-out. They don't get to compete, don't test themselves against opponents, don't get tv exposure, don't get to travel, don't get to face rivals, and all of the other benefits that come with playing. The only "advantage" they get is having more time to work on skills and fundamentals, but that pales in comparison to playing. Their decision has disrupted schedules, but so have other cancellations and postponements.

IMO, prohibiting or restricting practices would simply be adding more punishment and would send the message that schools and coaches are not allowed to make decisions they feel is in their athletes' best interest without facing sanctions.

Yea, NAW! lol if they don’t want to play because of the virus why use the same facilities as other athletes ?

I get it and respect their decision for safety concerns but i’m also like why expose yourself more ? if that’s the case go home and do online classes correct? there you can really protect yourself...

Good points. To think that the NCAA would be consistent with any principle, denying practice to non-bowl teams and equating that denial of practice to the opt out teams, is novel. There's also the element that teams qualify to go to the bowl games. Not sure what the policy is for qualified non-invitees.

Did a little research and couldn't find anything about Duke continuing to practice, but here again I'm assuming, I would bet they are.

Reactions: krichunaka
Good points. To think that the NCAA would be consistent with any principle, denying practice to non-bowl teams and equating that denial of practice to the opt out teams, is novel. There's also the element that teams qualify to go to the bowl games. Not sure what the policy is for qualified non-invitees.

Did a little research and couldn't find anything about Duke continuing to practice, but here again I'm assuming, I would bet they are.
they are

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Wondering how long Florida is going to go with Cam Newbauer? He doesn’t seem to be able to recruit/retain well and they are headed for a sub .500 season again. This is his fourth season and he has yet to increases their win total from Butler’s final season.

Seems absolutely crazy to me that he only has one player from FL on his team. University of Florida is an easy place to recruit in state talent, great school, great athletics tradition and a great fan base. Lots of great girls basketball played in Florida. The fact that he hasn’t broken into that in 4 years is a red flag for me.

Seems to run a similar set up to what he did at Belmont but so far it hasn’t been successful in the SEC. Not enough size to compete night in and night out. Much like Arkanasas except Arkansas is way more talented across the board at the guard spots. Florida has Briggs and Smith and that’s all really.

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Just thinking about our chances of landing another wing (Davis/Burrell size) after this season through the transfer portal. I had mentioned Mississippi State a few days ago, but I am also interested in watching how Kentucky and Notre Dame's season unfolds. Kentucky hasn't struggled by any means, but they haven't looked particularly sharp the past few weeks, even with the big boost of talent via transfers. Notre Dame has definitely struggled. Both of these programs have first year coaches. Regardless of what happens with these programs, I still think we will pick up one transfer during the offseason. Part of this will depends on roster size/which seniors decide to stay another year. Right now I think Davis, KK, and Jaiden won't return, but Keyen will (purely speculation).

Just thinking about our chances of landing another wing (Davis/Burrell size) after this season through the transfer portal. I had mentioned Mississippi State a few days ago, but I am also interested in watching how Kentucky and Notre Dame's season unfolds. Kentucky hasn't struggled by any means, but they haven't looked particularly sharp the past few weeks, even with the big boost of talent via transfers. Notre Dame has definitely struggled. Both of these programs have first year coaches. Regardless of what happens with these programs, I still think we will pick up one transfer during the offseason. Part of this will depends on roster size/which seniors decide to stay another year. Right now I think Davis, KK, and Jaiden won't return, but Keyen will (purely speculation).
I think the wing we've already landed is Sarah Puckett. If were planning on grabbing someone out of portal then we really need some players to get in the portal interested to see what happens.

I think the wing we've already landed is Sarah Puckett. If were planning on grabbing someone out of portal then we really need some players to get in the portal interested to see what happens.

Yes, Puckett will certainly help. Saurez will be a sophomore and will most likely be much improved. Rae will be solid/the centerpiece. I just think you can't have too many large wings since they can play 2-4. The NCAA has increased the amount of scholarships for next season so we wouldn't necessarily need players to transfer out.

Yes, Puckett will certainly help. Saurez will be a sophomore and will most likely be much improved. Rae will be solid/the centerpiece. I just think you can't have too many large wings since they can play 2-4. The NCAA has increased the amount of scholarships for next season so we wouldn't necessarily need players to transfer out.
No we can have all we want but I think we probably need to be upfront if it happens with some players about playing time because when this next class gets here and we get any portal transfers and all the players we have returning some players will never see the court. They are not seeing it much this season and five or six more players coming in means they might not see 40 minutes all next season.

I'll be excited to see Striplin in the high post passing to Key or shooting 15 footers with accuracy.

VN Store

Back