Duck Hunters Thread

I wish I could DM you but damn. Better half said this all sounds so odd. She’s now asking questions of how the lake is laid out etc. Going into FBI mode; heaven help me.
I had typed a long response and my computer took a crap and I dont have energy tonight to retype but here is a gist...
So from friends that have hunted there avg depth is 5-6 ft around walnut. Survivor takes gun strokes the old man with it knocking him into the water and throw the gun into the water BESIDE a Wood blind on the bottom of a lake 6 ft deep and they cant find it? Ill bet TBI either has the gun or thats not what happened. Maybe the survivor misremembered because of trauma but this whole story dont pass the smell test.

Reactions: VolNExile
I had typed a long response and my computer took a crap and I dont have energy tonight to retype but here is a gist...
So from friends that have hunted there avg depth is 5-6 ft around walnut. Survivor takes gun strokes the old man with it knocking him into the water and throw the gun into the water BESIDE a Wood blind on the bottom of a lake 6 ft deep and they cant find it? Ill bet TBI either has the gun or thats not what happened. Maybe the survivor misremembered because of trauma but this whole story dont pass the smell test.
Said they found another gun in his boat?

Walnut is northeast end of the lake right?

Said they found another gun in his boat?
so riddle me this Batman... you harbor ill will towards someone and u motor over to ask to hunt with them and THEN load your gun shoot the first victim then pick up another gun to shoot second victim before u get tackled by survivor all the while knowing you are approaching at least a couple of guys who are armed. All this is a 9 am so assuming they were locked and loaded Who the hell does that... just doesn’t pass the sniff test. My brother is a LEO who has been to FBI school in quantico and has been a chief investigator for a fairly large agency in N.C. he said this smells fishy and there is a lot more info TBI has.
We have several friends who are k9 LE officers (most retired) and among them is a N.C. game warden who I used to help by being his bad guy for training his yellow lab. I had a 14 ft duck boat and he would paddle up in a canoe and I have sunk illegal ducks in sacks with bricks in 12 feet of water With a piece of fishing line to a floating stick, put my 8 shot mossberg 835 with extended tube on the bottom in 6 ft and a ziplock bag of lead shells in 2 feet of water. That dog could find almost everything Just from oil or powder residue. Either TBI has that gun or they are inept. They aren’t inept.
An immediate family member of mine was murdered in maryville tn and crime scene was there and GSMNP they didn’t release hardly any details of the crime scene to the public and not much more to us the family. They played close to the vest to avoid tainting the Crime scene evidence and their suspects. We didn’t get any substantial details of who what when until they had a two suspects in custody after about 5 days.
I’m sure they know a lot more than they are releasing.
If mr vonell is anywhere within reasonable distance in that lake a cadaver dog will find him in the next week. I’ll bet he is dead and not from a self inflicted gunshot but who knows?

Reactions: VOL-TIL-I-DIE
so riddle me this Batman... you harbor ill will towards someone and u motor over to ask to hunt with them and THEN load your gun shoot the first victim then pick up another gun to shoot second victim before u get tackled by survivor all the while knowing you are approaching at least a couple of guys who are armed. All this is a 9 am so assuming they were locked and loaded Who the hell does that... just doesn’t pass the sniff test. My brother is a LEO who has been to FBI school in quantico and has been a chief investigator for a fairly large agency in N.C. he said this smells fishy and there is a lot more info TBI has.
We have several friends who are k9 LE officers (most retired) and among them is a N.C. game warden who I used to help by being his bad guy for training his yellow lab. I had a 14 ft duck boat and he would paddle up in a canoe and I have sunk illegal ducks in sacks with bricks in 12 feet of water With a piece of fishing line to a floating stick, put my 8 shot mossberg 835 with extended tube on the bottom in 6 ft and a ziplock bag of lead shells in 2 feet of water. That dog could find almost everything Just from oil or powder residue. Either TBI has that gun or they are inept. They aren’t inept.
An immediate family member of mine was murdered in maryville tn and crime scene was there and GSMNP they didn’t release hardly any details of the crime scene to the public and not much more to us the family. They played close to the vest to avoid tainting the Crime scene evidence and their suspects. We didn’t get any substantial details of who what when until they had a two suspects in custody after about 5 days.
I’m sure they know a lot more than they are releasing.
If mr vonell is anywhere within reasonable distance in that lake a cadaver dog will find him in the next week. I’ll bet he is dead and not from a self inflicted gunshot but who knows?
Yeah the whole gun situation is very odd to me. Especially this short statement “He started getting his gear together. A few seconds after that, the gun went off, and Mr. Grooms was shot,” Thomas said. “Just a few seconds after he arrived and asked if he could use the blind, and they said yes, and that’s when the survivor noticed him loading his gun, turned around and heard the gunshot, and he thought it was an accident.” So when did he see him load the gun is my question?

Reactions: bag12day
Also want to state; I’m not discounting the deaths of those two young men. I just thing this whole thing seems off.

Also @bag12day the better half is asking what part of NC you are from? Think I told you she’s from Hillsborough, NC.

Also want to state; I’m not discounting the deaths of those two young men. I just thing this whole thing seems off.

Also @bag12day the better half is asking what part of NC you are from? Think I told you she’s from Hillsborough, NC.
Grew up in and around Raleigh I live north of the triangle almost in VA.

I’m not discounting them either by all indications the victims and mr vonell were well liked respected members of their communities. Mr vonell was a millionaire retried business man not saying somebody like can’t but it just doesn’t make sense. Unless he had some ptsd flip out or an mental issue or something.

I’m not discounting them either by all indications the victims and mr vonell were well liked respected members of their communities. Mr vonell was a millionaire retried business man not saying somebody like can’t but it just doesn’t make sense. Unless he had some ptsd flip out or an mental issue or something.
Same; why would he ask to hunt and pull out a gun in that manner? After coming across the lake? What happened leading up to that? Why would he trek across from another blind and ask to hunt that blind? Why did he leave that blind? Just so many unknowns ....

Grew up in eastern wake and live in north person Granville area now in the country. Tell her I’m close kerr lake

Same; why would he ask to hunt and pull out a gun in that manner? After coming across the lake? What happened leading up to that? Why would he trek across from another blind and ask to hunt that blind? Why did he leave that blind? Just so many unknowns ....
Ok once again a bit of bad luck. We got 5 inches of snow and after I typed a long explanation of what really happened our power went out which for us means no internet or cell. I have relocated to my sons house close to my business Due to freeze risk tonight but can’t retype All the other stuff.
Cliff notes: I have talked to LEO involved in the area. Mr vonell has a cognitive impairment (believed to be dementia) and the survivor is actually 60+years old not one of the “kids”. Survivor could have shot the suspect but knew something wasn’t right. Mr vonell is at this time believed to be deceased due to Length of time in cold exposure/ wet conditions and TBI does not believe he made it out of the area. Search will continue when weather improves. The blind in question has been released from being a crime scene By TBI which means to me no further evidence is in the area ie gun in water etc...
After dealing with father with Alzheimer’s for 5 years all of this makes sense now... doing something incredibly violent on a whim after being such a kind person all his life. There was NO swing shooting or shot my duck or argument or days/weeks of turmoil leading up to this event despite what so many have said. Ill give some additional details when I have some time

Ok once again a bit of bad luck. We got 5 inches of snow and after I typed a long explanation of what really happened our power went out which for us means no internet or cell. I have relocated to my sons house close to my business Due to freeze risk tonight but can’t retype All the other stuff.
Cliff notes: I have talked to LEO involved in the area. Mr vonell has a cognitive impairment (believed to be dementia) and the survivor is actually 60+years old not one of the “kids”. Survivor could have shot the suspect but knew something wasn’t right. Mr vonell is at this time believed to be deceased due to Length of time in cold exposure/ wet conditions and TBI does not believe he made it out of the area. Search will continue when weather improves. The blind in question has been released from being a crime scene By TBI which means to me no further evidence is in the area ie gun in water etc...
After dealing with father with Alzheimer’s for 5 years all of this makes sense now... doing something incredibly violent on a whim after being such a kind person all his life. There was NO swing shooting or shot my duck or argument or days/weeks of turmoil leading up to this event despite what so many have said. Ill give some additional details when I have some time

Ugh. Terrible for all the families involved. I've hunted on the south end of Upper Blue Basin several times and its crazy that something like this would happen so close.

Last edited:
Writer may have jumped the gun on what happened here, but I've seen some nasty arguments at the boat ramp and some of the older guys I know say they've sat on the shore and watched a blind burn back in the day.

The Alleged Double Murder on Reelfoot Lake Points to a Problem Duck Hunters Must Fix
Well they are looking at changing the draw process for blinds. That caused some rumbles earlier in the year. After this incident I think more changes are gonna come along. I grew up in the area and I saw some wild stuff even as a kid.

Yeah it’s lazy journalism basically crafting a narrative op ed piece from some robots and internet trolling. very disappointed especially in the field and stream and they should fire the author and editor.

Well they are looking at changing the draw process for blinds. That caused some rumbles earlier in the year. After this incident I think more changes are gonna come along. I grew up in the area and I saw some wild stuff even as a kid.
Like I said junk like blind wars and having to get to public at 3 am to get ur spot only to have some jacklegs roll in at lst and set up 75 yards away but that’s not what caused a double murder. a mental health issue did and jumping the shark with stuff like this article doesn’t help. Wanna change the blind laws fine but don’t use this tragedy to do it.

I've heard a little bit about the move to change the draws. Its been a few years since I've gone in on one of the draw blinds, but changing it is going to upset a lot of people. I had heard its up in the air on how it would apply to reelfoot, but I don't know too much about it.

I've heard a little bit about the move to change the draws. Its been a few years since I've gone in on one of the draw blinds, but changing it is going to upset a lot of people. I had heard its up in the air on how it would apply to reelfoot, but I don't know too much about it.
We should go in on one next year. Bogota is normally pretty good.

Reactions: clarksvol00
We should go in on one next year. Bogota is normally pretty good.
You remember what I told you about duck numbers in traditional good area of east nc . Had a friend that went to lake mattumaskeet refuge on a blind draw , there were 18 blinds and 6 ducks were killed lol. My nephew had a good hunt this evening.
889E92F3-59A4-449F-BC4E-63D91D1ED1BE.jpeg

I guess the migration is slowing up big time. Glad he got him some birds to close it out. Is it bad that I’m not motivated to go this weekend?

I guess the migration is slowing up big time. Glad he got him some birds to close it out. Is it bad that I’m not motivated to go this weekend?
Nah do what I’m gonna do and just go striper fishing... still on the water , don’t have to get out at 0 dark thirty, no fighting for a spot and killing the same amount of ducks lol. Some of my best hunts have been last week or two of the season if u can find the x. Less food concentrated the birds more and unless you were in competition with the golden road you could kill ducks. Not been the case last 5 years or so.

VN Store

Back