Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think recruiting to UT is so overblown. I see folks here and on VQ worried about this staff being able to recruit. When hasn’t UT recruited well? I’ve been following recruiting very closely since 2009. We’ve had some bad coaches lately and how many times have we not finished in the top 25? 15? 10? 5?

Butch Jones had TWO top 5 classes. But he couldn’t develop and coach. If not for Dobbs he would have had zero success at UT.

Recruiting has been fine. You know what hasn’t been good? Developers of talent, coaches that know how to scheme for their roster and their opponents.

Our new coach has a pretty good track record of development QB’s, scoring a ton of points and winning games. I can promise you if he does that at UT recruiting will be as good as we’ve seen in awhile.
i think at this point, you're right. we simply cannot live and die on every 5* that we try to compete for with OSU, UGA, Bama etc....

just go get the guys you want, there are plenty of really good players that want to play football here....

and once the ink is dry on all the NLI's, i'd say most years we're going to find ourselves somewhere between 7th and 17th nationally in recruiting.

you have to recruit well. but we've put waaay too much stock in to having to be top 3. i get it, that's what bama et al are doing....well...we're not them. time to move on from that ish.

I'm not a person that likes to be negative, but I'm still struggling to be positive about this hire. I honestly hope it works out, we desperately need for it to work out, but I'm still filled with a sense of dread. My BVS is at Defcon 2.

Before anyone bashes my opinion, I'm just being honest about how I feel. I would love to say this hire gives me the warm fuzzies, but that would be a lie. I get JH has a high-power offense, but I'm worried about the defense and recruiting.

Those are valid concerns. Honestly, I think fans are going to have put some trust in DW and JH because this is where the program is currently. I was listening to Ainge’s show earlier: P5 coaches rarely RARELY move P5 to P5. Look at all the job’s filled in the SEC this off-season...most of those guys came from G5 schools or were promoted internally. In the meantime I’m willing to give Heupel a chance—he should put up points and yards. Kids want to play in that kind of system. It’s no longer a run, run, pass, punt kind of offense in football anymore.

hadn't really thought about til i saw the fart posts, but we're all able to go back to hating james franklin again. so that's something....

edit. Warmachined, basically. lol
I never stopped hating that pile of runny dog 💩....and now I have even more reason to hate him for playing tiddlywinks with our AD and wasting his time and using us.

I am so relieved that scumbag is not the hire..I was not going to be able to support him, I just could not do it.

I think recruiting to UT is so overblown. I see folks here and on VQ worried about this staff being able to recruit. When hasn’t UT recruited well? I’ve been following recruiting very closely since 2009. We’ve had some bad coaches lately and how many times have we not finished in the top 25? 15? 10? 5?

Butch Jones had TWO top 5 classes. But he couldn’t develop and coach. If not for Dobbs he would have had zero success at UT.

Recruiting has been fine. You know what hasn’t been good? Developers of talent, coaches that know how to scheme for their roster and their opponents.

Our new coach has a pretty good track record of developing QB’s, scoring a ton of points and winning games. I can promise you if he does that at UT recruiting will be as good as we’ve seen in awhile.

We’ve had some of the worst coaches in school history and we’ve still done pretty well in recruiting. I hate to use that phrase “Tennessee recruits itself” we’ve just had crappy coaches.

Our new coach has a pretty good track record of developing QB’s, scoring a ton of points and winning games. I can promise you if he does that at UT recruiting will be as good as we’ve seen in awhile.
Agreed. I’m not that concerned bc we’ve had some really good classes and still can’t win. So obviously there’s more to it. I would rather have coaches that are known more for developing players and work well with each other. Then win and recruiting will take care of itself.

Those are valid concerns. Honestly, I think fans are going to have put some trust in DW and JH because this is where the program is currently. I was listening to Ainge’s show earlier: P5 coaches rarely RARELY move P5 to P5. Look at all the job’s filled in the SEC this off-season...most of those guys came from G5 schools or were promoted internally. In the meantime I’m willing to give Heupel a chance—he should put up points and yards. Kids want to play in that kind of system. It’s no longer a run, run, pass, punt kind of offense in football anymore.
Right? And as far as non sitting p5 HCs, not many have a better resume than Heupel does in the best non p5 conference out there. I'd argue the AAC is better top to bottom than 1 or 2 p5 conferences.

not that i'm aware of. have 5 spots left, and depending on if anyone else bolts in the spring, i'd be shocked if we're not looking at bringing in transfers to fill the class out....
I bet he pulls a kid or two he was working on while at UCF.. we might not have even heard their names

Reactions: nicksjuzunk
We’ve had some of the worst coaches in school history and we’ve still done pretty well in recruiting. I hate to use that phrase “Tennessee recruits itself” we’ve just had crappy coaches.
Putting up numbers also recruits itself. Mike Leach sits in a kids living room and asks "how would you like to lead the nation in passing?"

I hate to use a basketball analogy because we are struggling but Barnes took some mid-level talent guys as far as he could now he’s getting McDonald’s All-Americans and five stars. If a coach can really coach he’ll maximize the talent he has that will raise the profile of the program then the high level talent takes notice.

In response to uga getting a commitment from 5 star Gunner Stockton

At some point something has to be done to even the field..UGA and Bama could literally probably get away with murder. What is the point of competition if it is rigged? It is no better than professional wrasslin at this point.

Screen-Shot-2020-02-05-at-9.50.53-AM.png
This guy would destroy the 2020 team right now,, if he can get it rolling, we're gonna be just fine
22B28E7A-46AF-4524-9F55-B5C3B5F937CB.gif

I'm not a person that likes to be negative, but I'm still struggling to be positive about this hire. I honestly hope it works out, we desperately need for it to work out, but I'm still filled with a sense of dread. My BVS is at Defcon 2.

Before anyone bashes my opinion, I'm just being honest about how I feel. I would love to say this hire gives me the warm fuzzies, but that would be a lie. I get JH has a high-power offense, but I'm worried about the defense and recruiting.

Yeah, the thing I can’t get past is recruiting. Look at the list of head coaches who have won NCs this century. It’s a pretty short list. Nick Saban, Dabo, Urban Meyer, Bob Stoops, Mack Brown, Pete Carrol, Les Miles, Ed O Jimbo Fisher off the top of my head. The one thing they all have in common is a reputation for being great recruiters. Chizik may be the one outlier, but he also had a qb that was unstoppable at the college level and then quickly crashed and burned once that qb was gone. The fact that Heupel has a reputation as a mediocre recruiter has me feeling like we’re going to continue to be stuck in neutral.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back