Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
And we could barely get lined up right and snap it with 2 seconds on the clock.
Sometimes we couldn’t
source.gif

I'm sure they expected the early "no, thanks" from the usual suspects, and UT really wanted to explore diversity candidates-- much like they did when they hired Davenport and Plowman. Though Plowman's situation was different.

Nothing wrong with a package deal, though Boyd and Plowman probably weren't thinking it would come to that. Once they got down the list, DW pushed JH pretty hard, and having that comfort level is important.

I definitely felt if they would have packaged it that way from the beginning they would have gotten less blowback. Instead there was a lot of hyping up and giving people false hope.

Also I do think there is some truth to the point of the local media having a disdain for the University. Every where else I have lived the local media publishes puff pieces for the University and is almost like an extension of them.

I'm sure they expected the early "no, thanks" from the usual suspects, and UT really wanted to explore diversity candidates-- much like they did when they hired Davenport and Plowman. Though Plowman's situation was different.

Nothing wrong with a package deal, though Boyd and Plowman probably weren't thinking it would come to that. Once they got down the list, DW pushed JH pretty hard, and having that comfort level is important.
Thanks for shedding light tonight - interesting stuff (to me anyways). I was def hoping for a big name but have so far liked what I've seen and heard from and about JH. Obviously Tennessee football (still & once again!) has a long hard climb ahead. I'm hoping we luck into the guy we needed even tho he wasn't the guy everybody wanted. Your "comfort level" comment reminded me of something I was thinking about a few hours earlier - how badly we need some continuity. I wonder if this hire can sort of manufacture some continuity. Anyways, thanks for your posts!

Yep. The closed circle can talk now.
LA, do you know if Campbell was even contacted? I knew it was a long shot, but I just kept thinking 40 mill, or 7 to 8 mill per, gave us a slight chance...nine times out of ten, money walks, talks, and breakdances. Campbell doesn't seem like a dude driven by money, but...40 million is 40 mother effin million, you know.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Im assuming we dont keep Steele. So who's got some names of defensive coordinator the we might go after or who might be under the radar type or up and comers we could get.

So that was the delay. It is the world we live in. Sad that they chose it over division of the fanbase as their choice early on. It explains them seeking Franklin when they knew he would also polarize the fan base even with their negative concerns with Freeze and Kiffin. They always believe UT fans will recover from their shock and despair because we always do. I'm not saying JH is bad hire, he's probably the best hire they could make. Explains a lot - thanks.

I kinda like that he isn’t babying the fanbase. When you are trying to change culture, you HAVE to address problem areas. Yes, we fans are loyal and have stuck it out, but we have also become negative and venomous at the slightest sign of adversity and not getting our way. I thought he was respectful in his comments, and I hope he keeps chipping away at the Vol fan mentality. We have created some of the problem, whether we want to admit it or not.
You aren't going to get an argument out of ms that the fan base has issues it does. I just think he needs to go about it a different way. Go on a public campaign. Have VFL's go on media, talk shows, Twitter and pump the positive energy. His message isn't going to be well received, he's been on the job less than a week just comes across as tone deaf

Is it safe in here yet? Mostly regular RF posters left?

I didn’t love the hire when I first heard it, but the more I learn, the better I like it. Hire an average DC and win some games. UT has some talent to utilize on both sides of the ball. I think Coach Heupel will get the most out of them.

Sometimes it’s not just a big name, fit is also a huge factor. I would rather have a perfect fit off the radar coach, than a big name that only came here for a bigger paycheck, that could care less about our traditions and history. When he said something to the effect that he gets chills thinking about running onto the field this fall with 100k+ singing Rocky Top, I think he understands how special this place is.

GBO, welcome coach, and let’s have some fun and score some points.

The only complaint about the process I have is DW being snippy with the media/fans. I agree our fans can be wild and out of control but the support that's been shown to this university through this stretch is insane. If they don't win quickly I can see a lot of people tuning out because of the brushless of his comments. This isn't UCF dont worry about controlling the fans, create a winning program and the tune will change.

That was an alarm bell for me and when pretty much out of the blue AV repeated those sentiments with the whole fall in-line post he gave back when we were still debating various hires that was uncharacteristically over emotional and hard line for him; it was obvious then that Team Haslam was orchestrating the 'how to deal with fans' portion of things and that DW and everyone else on the Haslam train was following that path. I knew then that we were about to make a hire fans wouldn't like and that they were trying to do it while leaving us completely in the dark. It was so orchestrated that I think Heupel was the choice all along. The rest was pretend.

I think DW will eventually learn that the Haslams are the last people he needs to consult with on how to deal with fans, especially Vol fans (their fan relations and hamfisted attempt to power through a hire is what bungled the last search), but he's probably gonna have to learn it the hard way. The only reason he hasn't felt a harsher backlash is Heupel is a better hire with less baggage than Schiano. But more and more, I think the entire 'search' was a farce and this was it all along.

Agreed. I thought having a hire would relax me a little but here I am scouring for tidbits for staff hires, then it will be transfer portal talk, recruiting nugs, spring practice reports, and so on and so on.

I should have known better. The recruiting forum never sleeps!
Yes, but at least I can sleep for a while!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back