Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was told Monday night that he was putting together a staff. I was confident even yesterday that he had accepted. Not sure what happened. Late yesterday afternoon I was told everything went silent on Elliott, then suddenly Heupel was the pick.
I'm not a Heupel fan, but atleast we don't have to go through first time coach building a program crap again.

I heard the same.

I think he had the staff together when he went into the interview on Monday. I believe he was offered the job but someone at Clemson talked him out of accepting.

That's why Danny White wasn't traveling yesterday - they had nothing scheduled because they assumed Elliott was going to accept. I think he hired Heupel without an interview with UT brass.

Gotta say I like a Heupel hire better than an Elliott hire. Heupel has already made some mistakes and hopefully learned from them. Elliott would undoubtedly have many growing pains on the job. Plus, Heupel performed wizardry at Mizzou elevating their offense so quickly.

Eric Gray would be PERFECT in this offense. Can we have him back?
RB won't be a problem. We have tons of talent there just waiting to shine. I don't even think Gray was our best runner. Maybe best all around, but Smalls is a better runner. Falls forward and doesn't go down as easily. We'll be fine at RB.

I'm listening to Nashville radio, from the rotation of guests it's pretty obvious to me the University/AD has asked the VFL former players to make the rounds and attempt to rally support. I've been through searches and backlash from announcements before but this seems to me more of a concerted effort to manage the negative narratives. Smart by this AD if true.

I think what makes this whole thing so frustrating is that once again the fans are scapegoated as being unreasonable, toxic, and delusional about the state of the program.

Did we all hope for a few days that MAYBE the talk about $8 million per year would lure us a slam dunk hire? Of course. But, the fact is there are a few coaches out there that we KNOW would take the job in a heartbeat that weren't offered before Josh Freaking Heupel.

You cannot convince me that Jamey Chadwell said no. I don't believe it. The guy is an East Tennessee native making crumbs at Coastal. He would crawl on broken glass to accept this job and I think the fanbase would rally around him and get excited about it. There are other obvious names as well, like Kiffin and Freeze, but we knew those were long shots.

It's just that Heupel reeks as a lazy hire by an AD that just got a fat paycheck to come here and make the ONE hire that the fanbase really cares about. And he botched it.
Huepel better than Chadwell and as good as Kiffin. I agree with you on Freeze, I think.

I think the best way to quantify an offense is yards per play adjusted by SOS.

The unadjusted numbers for YPP for UCF is

2020- 21st
2019- 8th
2018- 10th
2017 (Mizzou)- 6th
2016- 32nd

Reactions: FBtime and MwB
Not who I would have picked. But I’m not going to be negative given DWs track record and that his reputation is on the line.

I’m going to be neutral. If he hires a good defensive staff and hires some recruiters, and landsSimpson. I’ll start to buy in. Will jump in fully if he wins 8+ next year.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
I heard the same.

I think he had the staff together when he went into the interview on Monday. I believe he was offered the job but someone at Clemson talked him out of accepting. Elliott turned them down around 2PM yesterday. That's when we heard about the "reset."

That's why Danny White wasn't traveling yesterday - they had nothing scheduled because they assumed Elliott was going to accept. I think he hired Heupel without an interview with UT brass.

There were reports of the plane going to Orlando

People use the term "offer" loosely. UT does not. When UT actually presents an offer, it's formal. The coach has been vetted, and legal and finance have approved terms, which are specific. Talking with a candidate and throwing around scenarios and numbers isn't an offer. Some guys the media claims "turned down" UT weren't interested and made that known, either upfront through their reps or in preliminary talks. They weren't offered.

UT doesn't paper an offer it doesn't think will be accepted. But a lot of guys can pass before it ever gets to that point.

I heard the same.

I think he had the staff together when he went into the interview on Monday. I believe he was offered the job but someone at Clemson talked him out of accepting. Elliott turned them down around 2PM yesterday. That's when we heard about the "reset."

This is what Low said exactly happened. Not only someone from Clemson but someone from a past Tennessee staff that has a lot respect for Tennessee but told TE this wasn't the best place for him now.

Reactions: pierce60
He is a quitter for staying 4 years, graduating, and then transferring? In those 4 years, Quinten Dormady, Will McBride, and JG were his QBs. So, he decided to go somewhere that likes to throw the ball and has a good QB. Sounds like he was a rational human being. UT failed Brandon Johnson. He made a wise decision for his future, not quit.

None of those quit before the season was over
Johnson did thus hes a quitter

It's by and large offensive players who are tweeting about it, and let's be real, there is something for them to get excited about. They've had a village idiot Gump running the show for 3 years who was never going to get them to achieve their potential. Even if we stink, these guys could still put up huge offensive numbers and get drafted.

I hate to say it, but get ready to lose a bunch of games 52-48.
So basically lane Kiffin?

Reactions: SweetasSoda
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back