Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, I just have to say, I just reviewed DW's hires today and he seems to have not missed on any hire he's made. With that, he also doesn't seem to be afraid to follow his gut. The guy just went to his old place of work and hired away his last hire. He obviously has no problem doing something that ballsy. I can't imagine being that confident and unapologetic.

All in all, not really considering the feelings of the last week, it feels like we have a badass AD that will follow his intuition no matter what public opinion is. He could have hired kiffin or freeze most likely, but he had reasons not to and I respect that.

Reactions: 5FingerVolPunch
If we set aside the JH hire as there are many things to like offensively at least but jury is out until we hit the field. The question I have is do we have the infrastructure in place now w AD White, Plowman, Boyd, etc to get our house in order and I mean in top notch working order?

Cause if JH works out great and we'll all be excited/singing praises BUT if this doesn't work out and we ARE back here in 3-4 years we MUST have our house in order and our ACT together as a university. We need to have solidified and stabilized things behind the scenes. If team on field performance isn't what we need, then we should be very well positioned to make a decisive decision and then an above average hire.

I really want JH to succeed and exceed our expectations but getting our house in order is as critical (if not moreso) and it sounds like there is much work to be done there.
We need to make this job much more attractive and prepare ourselves for future success and other coaches will then see that progress. Go Vols!

Something else I like about Heupel is that he comes from Oklahoma so he understands the pressure of a big time program as a player and coach. I don't think the pressure of this job will shock him like it has others.

Pruitt understood it as a coach, but not as a player because being a 3rd string DB is different than finishing second for the Heisman.

Sam Pitman was our Oline coach for a short lived timed. We had some legit Oline talent about 10 years ago

Yeah, I forgot about that short stint. Wish he would have stayed on. Actually, we have had legit O Line talent plenty of times. I feel like it has been consistently the most underperforming unit on our team for the most part. The exception, ironically, was Kiffin's team when we fielded a bunch of undersized guys.

Not me

He’s a quitter
He is a quitter for staying 4 years, graduating, and then transferring? In those 4 years, Quinten Dormady, Will McBride, and JG were his QBs. So, he decided to go somewhere that likes to throw the ball and has a good QB. Sounds like he was a rational human being. UT failed Brandon Johnson. He made a wise decision for his future, not quit.

@SpringBokVol will remember that the second DW was hired I posted I was Excited not Because of who he was going to hire this time
But it was the second hire that matters the most.

The first hire was destined to fail now matter who the hire was with this dumpster fire.

the real work begins now with Dw. His job is to clean up this program. Redo a solid foundation and have it on a firm footing so that the next hire is a home run.
Maybe then we can recover from this NCAA mess in 5-7 years.
As sad as that is, it will be a huge win if we recover in 5 years.

Reactions: BruinVol
I was told Monday night that he was putting together a staff. I was confident even yesterday that he had accepted. Not sure what happened. Late yesterday afternoon I was told everything went silent on Elliott, then suddenly Heupel was the pick.
I heard the same.

I think he had the staff together when he went into the interview on Monday. I believe he was offered the job but someone at Clemson talked him out of accepting. Elliott turned them down around 2PM yesterday. That's when we heard about the "reset."

That's why Danny White wasn't traveling yesterday - they had nothing scheduled because they assumed Elliott was going to accept. I think he hired Heupel without an interview with UT brass.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
Your argument is with the media and the coaching fraternity, not another UT fan. Keep it up. I’m sure they will see it your way any time now🙄
Not sure I’m understanding. I wasn’t arguing with you but with the idea you were presenting. UT fans didn’t deem themselves toxic. I know who is responsible.

That's the type of offense we will need to run to get upset wins. Pedal to the metal all the time. We let up, we let other teams back in it. Bama didn't slow down at all this year. They just kept scoring.
We will need Steele and co to recruit and develop the hell out of the defense.

I think a breakneck offense with big plays can get us to .500 most seasons. Need a risky, blitzy, crazy defense to compliment. We win games if we score 40+ lol. But that means more scoring and that means more rocky top. I'll take it.

Plus if you have an offense that can score 14 in 4 min, you're never really truly out of games. So at least we won't be turning games off at half anymore.

Did he graduate? I'm not sure. I don't think grad transfers should be labeled as "quitters" because they go somewhere else afterwards for more playing time.

If he didn't graduate then okay I suppose you can make that argument. 🤷‍♂️

Yes he graduated and I am not calling him a quitter for leaving. Not even close. Im
Calling him a quitter for not finishing the season

look at Ty chandler. It was rumored for over a month he was gone to unc but he finished the season. He graduated and is a VFL.

Johnson lost all that for just two weeks imo

He is a quitter for staying 4 years, graduating, and then transferring? In those 4 years, Quinten Dormady, Will McBride, and JG were his QBs. So, he decided to go somewhere that likes to throw the ball and has a good QB. Sounds like he was a rational human being. UT failed Brandon Johnson. He made a wise decision for his future, not quit.

Agree. If you come here, stay 4 years, and graduate, you’ve satisfied your commitment.

I’m not overwhelmed. I’m simply not. I, however, am glad the roster is immediately buying in. That tells me that they are eager to compete and believe in what Heupel can do.

It's by and large offensive players who are tweeting about it, and let's be real, there is something for them to get excited about. They've had a village idiot Gump running the show for 3 years who was never going to get them to achieve their potential. Even if we stink, these guys could still put up huge offensive numbers and get drafted.

I hate to say it, but get ready to lose a bunch of games 52-48.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back