Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Elliott in this example, but I believe the bolded part for both.

We hired Kiffin because he recruited well and scored a ton of points at USC - and he wasn't calling plays there. The Raiders stuff was seen as a negative against him.

You hire Elliott because he recruits well and puts up a ton of points at Clemson.
agreed. and with Elliot, i feel like we're almost penalizing him for being too good.....i get why folks are gun shy about the "elite recruiter" moniker and all, given what we just went thru with Pruitt. is he good b/c of talent, or is the talent better b/c of him?

i think it's unwise to boil that comparison down to the lowest common denominator.....i think Elliot is several rungs above pruitt as a coordinator HC candidate.....siap, my only concern with Elliot is what kind of staff could he put together? that, and just situationally speaking, is this really the best place for him to cut his teeth as a HC?

football wise, i think there's a lot to like about Elliot.....

First thought for the day:

After reading what was said on the Swain show, and witnessing the literal meltdown yesterday, let's work to NOT make AP right when he said we were the cause of any level of issues at UT.
AP is just butthurt that his best bud got fired with cause. Fans are never going to be ok with sucking especially when we have had a successful history. Blaming our issues on the fans is ridiculous. We have been fed **** for way too long and I guess we are just supposed to shut up, be happy, and buy season tickets?

Every fan base has fans that take things too far, we are not unique.

Reactions: IM4TN and RiotVol
That’s what I thought, but I wasn’t sure if I had missed any updates and I wasn’t really sure how some of things that dealt w/ Franklin had been worded.
Some are going to hurl “facts” against the wall banking that these new players never publicly dispute them. There’s an adult dignity present for the first time since forever imo.

If there is no hire or announcement today... It becomes quite clear. AV thinks DW is a badass AD. AV thinks DW is going to hire the best available. But just because one person thinks that, doesn't make it true. If there is no hire or announcement today, its clear DW couldn't land any of the big names and he is now way down the list. I know some people are okay with elliott because he is better than dykes but even hiring elliott is a clear loss. If tennessee isn't willing to hire kiffin or freeze but instead is forced to go with a coach like dykes or elliott, after reaching out to a guy like franklin..well, they don't REALLY care about winning. If you can't see that then I'm sorry for you. You will continue to support a program that doesn't care about it's fans and in fact straight up lies to them. Of course, they could announce a good hire today and this would be wrong. But if they don't announce or they do and it's someone like elliott or dykes, then I'm right. And deep down you know it. New leadership, same tennessee. Only this time they straight lie to you. Publicly lol. Hope I'm wrong! I can't think of any reason you would say no to freeze or kiffin if your list comes down to elliott and dykes. Actually I can. Pure stupidity. Just not a good AD.

probably.

Those comments last night from AP and Hubbs being like “they better interview Steele or risk a Kippy Brown” and all of those articles about the staff that he had lined up to bring tell me that dude was coming here to be head ball coach, and won’t stop being a cancer until he gone or is the head ball coach. Get him out. Clean slate.

I keep thinking Pruitt knew he was toast, but Fulmer thought he was safe and was bringing in Steele to replace Pruitt. He must have been legit shocked when Plowman asked him to retire.

lol...
giphy.gif

The more that comes out on Franklin makes me think less they actually went after him. DW doesn’t seem the type to let that out and it sounds more like Franklin is playing the Gundy role. My guess, Sexton is his agent.

Complete BS. NCAA sanctions, dysfunctional internal issues are our big deterrent. We’ve let money people call the shots and everyone has their hands in every hire. Stop with the fan bs.
The fans, boosters, and certain members of the BoT are the only constants. Everyone from chancellor, president, ad, and countless coaches have been replaced and they sure as hella aren’t going to blame themselves for all the time spent warring with internal forces so of course that leaves blaming the fans.

Our AD needs to stop this ish right now. He’s here because we’re a great job with great fans at a great university in a wonderful place to live that also pays well and he needs to shove that down every reporters throat until they start repeating how effing great we are and how all we need is the right coach and how that coach will find himself lucky to be here. All this nonsense about sanctions and fans is just noise but it’s noise that will fast turn into an excuse if he is complacent, starts to fail and gets frustrated. But good god man you have the perfect pitch in yourself. The negative peeps are at the top but top of his profession hopping aboard has already happened. We’re just looking for a damn football coach.

I very well could be wrong, but this narrative that has sprung up all of a sudden that James Franklin is the #1 target doesn't make sense. The guy is a good coach, but if you're going to pay someone $8 million a year, you're telling me THAT is your go to guy? Not to mention, Boyd, Plowman, and White all stated integrity and trust as the #1 factor in looking for a head coach yet I wouldn't describe James Franklin with either of those words.

It just doesn't line up with what was said by our leadership. And then, you're going to swing and miss on Franklin and skip from him to Elliot or Dykes, but not give Kiffin or Freeze a look even though their baggage isn't any worse than Franklin.

Either we're being fed a huge line of BS, or White lied to the fanbase and I find that very hard to believe. I just don't see it being Franklin.

Well the good news is if it's circulating that we've pursued and offered Franklin upto 8 million....that would make any candidate we approach realize we're serious about paying them.

Even if we -didn't- actually offer Franklin ****, the rumor of it has benefits for us as we pursue our next HC.

No question.

Would I love Tennessee to pay me 30 million dollars to fail for 5 years? Absolutely
But if I'm already going to make 15 million in that time, is it worth leaving a job where I'm happy for a job where a bunch of desperate fans are going to give you about two years before they start expecting you to beat Florida, Georgia, and Alabama? Maybe not.

The funny thing is, despite public perception, I don't think Vols fans are particularly unrealistic in terms of expectations. But the perception is that we are.
A coach will be safe at 8-4 for some time here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back