Coachery

Since you’re manning up, I’ll present this as more of an “encouragement” post than an argument...if it is Elliott.

Here are some coordinators who got their first head coaching job at big time programs and succeeded:

Bob Stoops-Oklahoma
Kirby Smart-Georgia
Mark Richt-Georgia
Phillip Fulmer-Tennessee
Chip Kelly-Oregon
Jimbo Fisher-Florida State
Dabo Swinney-Clemson (actually was just a WR coach)
Ryan Day-Ohio State
Lincoln Riley-Oklahoma
David Shaw-Stanford

So you see, there are actually more hires that turned out successfully in recent years from the assistant coaching ranks than from head coaching ranks. Or so it seems.

I agree with you that my preference is a proven head coach. But if we couldn’t land that, I’m going to trust White and his track record. There is plenty of precedent to believe that Elliott could get the job done. Not that he’s guaranteed to...but that he could.
One common theme from the majority those coaches is that they inherited a team full of talent. We are definitely not full of talent at this certain time.

Reactions: VolunteerHillbilly
You’re right. Stoops did have to rebuild OU and restore them to glory. Dabo rebuilt Clemson and took them to another level, but they weren’t a disaster like we are. But my point is, a coordinator can be successful as a first time head coach at a major program. We can find discrepancies in every analogy, I suppose.
You have to give the pirate his due. Mike Leach deserves half of the credit for bringing Oklahoma 's offense from 11th to 1st in 1999. He gave that team the defibrillator. Stoops used Leach perfectly. Good coaching all around.

Some things might disappoint me, but I don't think anything will surprise me. It may turn out that the new coach is someone that we haven't even talked about yet.
He has been known to dip in the D2 and D3 levels. Nothing says a HC can’t be very successful here given the right amount of goods. I don’t follow those levels, but any big names come to mind?

But even then, assuming we made that offer and he says yes, you’d think it would still leak through the ISU team so they can get ahead of the fallout. You don’t let a guy like Campbell leave without a huge fight.
Most definitely. I think it obvious that if it’s any current coach of any fashion, they haven’t officially accepted, or they have, they haven’t yet been able to informed their team how they want to

If it’s a done deal this afternoon like it’s been rumored, then the delay of news means it’s taken some time to get back to tell the team in person or it’s not a standing coach.

Maybe it’s not a done deal

Reactions: Checker_the_Shire
Guys, no need to worry and speculate, just know that Donde Plowman is going to bring a man of deep integrity to Knoxville. Someone to really foster and nurture these fine young men’s character. Wins and losses always come second here at UT. We don’t want to win with a guy like Hugh Freeze. We need to be righteous in the cellar of our division with Vandy.

As long as we’re champions at life, I can live with that.

Most definitely. I think it obvious that if it’s any current coach of any fashion, they haven’t officially accepted or they haven’t yet informed their team.

If it’s a done deal this afternoon like it’s been rumored, then the delay of news means it’s taken some time to get back to tell the team in person or it’s not a standing coach.

Maybe it’s not a done deal
I’m leaning towards your last point. Not saying Fumbles is wrong, because throughout he’s been pretty close to 100%. But I just find it hard to believe that we made an offer and it was accepted, and now almost 6 hours later we’re hearing nothing but this one post. I feel there’d be at least others saying an offer was made and accepted. Especially since this person heard it through a booster. Boosters would be talking, and you know those Knoxville hounds and itching to be the ones to drop the nuggets.

Reactions: Perspective
Some things might disappoint me, but I don't think anything will surprise me. It may turn out that the new coach is someone that we haven't even talked about yet.
Belichick? Someone said the hire would be earth-shattering. That definitely would be. Seriously though, I’m just hoping for a proven winner not named Franklin.

It's already the next day... didn't think I would have to tell you that but we are the volnation forum.
Dude your just a prick. I hope you don’t, no yes I do, throw out your arm patting yourself on the back or saying “ told you so!” Because someone says what he knows and you attack. Life of the party I bet.

I'd never thought about the order things happen in. ADDW wants the team to hear it first. The new coach will need to resign from his current position. Will ADDW tell the players before the coach resigns? Does the coach have to resign from his old position before accepting the UT job? By announcing to the team (based on a MOU I guess) is he doing so at risk of the contract falling through? I'm sure they have a handle on all this, I just wonder what that process will look like.

That's probably more in line with reality than most theories floating around. The new coach will probably be announced stepping down somewhere before we hear squat.

Reactions: BondJamesBond
I’m leaning towards your last point. Not saying Fumbles is wrong, because throughout he’s been pretty close to 100%. But I just find it hard to believe that we made an offer and it was accepted, and now almost 6 hours later we’re hearing nothing but this one post. I feel there’d be at least others saying an offer was made and accepted. Especially since this person heard it through a booster. Boosters would be talking, and you know those Knoxville hounds and itching to be the ones to drop the nuggets.
Me too. There’s a lot of meanings to “agreed”. Is it gentlemens agreement? MOU? Some contracts aren’t signed for months, so not likely that.

Say it’s Campbell. A guy like Campbell would maybe have a poison pill to the understanding breaks the news to his team on his terms. If they met in person in Dallas or Atlanta, it’s snowing in Iowa- maybe a weather delay to tell the team in person.

Or maybe it was Franklin agreed, then that scum bag backed out?

Maybe it is as Petersen or Stoops or an NFL guy that has no team to tell or no rush. Let them go back, get the family and get to Knoxville without hassle.

If there’s a leak, it comes from the other side’s players and coaches, or assistants getting contacted for possible staff.

Reactions: Checker_the_Shire
I'd say Smart, Fulmer, Day, Riley and Shaw all followed guys who righted the ship before they got there. To a lesser extent Richt and Kelly fall in the same boat, meaning that Donnan repaired a lot of Goff's damage and Bellotti repaired a lot of Brooks'. Fisher was a head coach in waiting, which may or may not mean anything other than Elliott isn't. Stoops and Swinney are pretty much it as far as doing anything more than taking a good program one step up the ladder and Clemson was never anywhere near as bad as we are under Tommy Bowden. If you're looking for an example of a coordinator turning around a P5 program that was in the crapper when he started, Bob Stoops is the only one I can come up with. If we get Elliott, we see what he can do and hope for he best but history is not on our side.

If we’re looking for guys who turned around a major program that was in as bad shape as Tennessee is currently in, you’re not going to find any...coordinator, head coach or otherwise. Alabama was in better shape when they hired Saban. USC was in better shape when they hired Carroll.

You can poke a hole in any analogy. That’s the nature of an analogy...it’s not exactly the same.

I’m just saying that coordinators can be successful as first time head coaches at major programs.

One common theme from the majority those coaches is that they inherited a team full of talent. We are definitely not full of talent at this certain time.

Find me a program that was in as bad shape as Tennessee that hired a sitting head coach and he was successful. Don’t say Saban. Shula left him plenty of talent.

VN Store

Back