Coachery

Other than a coordinator title, there is nothing in common between Elliott and Pruitt.
We can never hire another coach from LA Tech, Cincinnati or Alabama. Can’t hire a coach that uses motivational catch phrases. Gotta stay away from coaches under 35, Coaches who are the sons of coaching legends and especially coordinators.

I've eaten four or five bowls of crow in the last hour. - I'm just leaving it up there un-amended because I deserve it.

Since you’re manning up, I’ll present this as more of an “encouragement” post than an argument...if it is Elliott.

Here are some coordinators who got their first head coaching job at big time programs and succeeded:

Bob Stoops-Oklahoma
Kirby Smart-Georgia
Mark Richt-Georgia
Phillip Fulmer-Tennessee
Chip Kelly-Oregon
Jimbo Fisher-Florida State
Dabo Swinney-Clemson (actually was just a WR coach)
Ryan Day-Ohio State
Lincoln Riley-Oklahoma
David Shaw-Stanford

So you see, there are actually more hires that turned out successfully in recent years from the assistant coaching ranks than from head coaching ranks. Or so it seems.

I agree with you that my preference is a proven head coach. But if we couldn’t land that, I’m going to trust White and his track record. There is plenty of precedent to believe that Elliott could get the job done. Not that he’s guaranteed to...but that he could.

Since you’re manning up, I’ll present this as more of an “encouragement” post than an argument...if it is Elliott.

Here are some coordinators who got their first head coaching job at big time programs and succeeded:

Bob Stoops-Oklahoma
Kirby Smart-Georgia
Mark Richt-Georgia
Phillip Fulmer-Tennessee
Chip Kelly-Oregon
Ryan Day-Ohio State
Lincoln Riley-Oklahoma
David Shaw-Stanford

So you see, there are actually more hires that turned out successfully in recent years from the assistant coaching ranks than from head coaching ranks. Or so it seems.

I agree with you that my preference is a proven head coach. But if we couldn’t land that, I’m going to trust White and his track record. There is plenty of precedent to believe that Elliott could get the job done. Not that he’s guaranteed to...but that he could.
Describe the teams/situations they inherited

Bob Stoops-Oklahoma
Kirby Smart-Georgia
Mark Richt-Georgia
Phillip Fulmer-Tennessee
Chip Kelly-Oregon
Ryan Day-Ohio State
Lincoln Riley-Oklahoma
David Shaw-Stanford

I agree with your overall point, but in fairness seven of those that you listed were promoted from within. And of those seven, five took over programs that were doing pretty well. Again, I don’t have a huge issue hiring a coordinator, but I do think it makes it a lot easier taking over a program that you’ve been a part of.

Reactions: NighthawkVol
I agree with your overall point, but in fairness seven of those that you listed were promoted from within. And of those seven, five took over programs that were doing pretty well. Again, I don’t have a huge issue hiring a coordinator, but I do think it makes it a lot easier taking over a program that you’ve been a part of.

You’re right. Stoops did have to rebuild OU and restore them to glory. Dabo rebuilt Clemson and took them to another level, but they weren’t a disaster like we are. But my point is, a coordinator can be successful as a first time head coach at a major program. We can find discrepancies in every analogy, I suppose.

I don’t know anything beyond what I shared earlier. I don’t know if we succeeded with first candidate or moved down. I was in a meeting all afternoon, but received the text at 2:30. I assume they had a deal by then. I think everyone has been given the hard line on sharing. My friend has nothing new. I have nothing new. I’ll share anything I hear.

Can you please reschedule all your meetings to next week so we can be updated on any texts you receive, as soon as you receive them? ;)

From what UCF people says this is how he operates
But wouldn’t you think, if it’s a Franklin or Campbell type hire, then their respective schools would be the ones leaking things? I get DW keeping it close, but that doesn’t mean ISU or PSU have to follow suit. Whereas if it’s a smaller school or a lower tier candidate, there just might not be that large of a press core around him.

Reactions: Perspective
I don’t know anything beyond what I shared earlier. I don’t know if we succeeded with first candidate or moved down. I was in a meeting all afternoon, but received the text at 2:30. I assume they had a deal by then. I think everyone has been given the hard line on sharing. My friend has nothing new. I have nothing new. I’ll share anything I hear.
If the players are told first, it will have to be tonight, meaning news will leak by morning. It may be time to go to the recruiting forum where people monitor the players twitter feeds.

But wouldn’t you think, if it’s a Franklin or Campbell type hire, then their respective schools would be the ones leaking things? I get DW keeping it close, but that doesn’t mean ISU or PSU have to follow suit. Whereas if it’s a smaller school or a lower tier candidate, there just might not be that large of a press core around him.
I see what your saying but we didn’t hear about Danny White coming here until an hour before it was announced

Holy crap, I take the dog out to poop, talk to multiple neighbors and their dogs, cook dinner for the family (they wouldn't let me get back on here) and all I see is that we either hired Bigfoot, Mark Campbell or a family wearing kilts.
Package deal.
BF- HC.
Mark Campbell- OC.
Kilt fam- DC, special teams

So when are the going to announce it?

From what UCF people says this is how he operates
How does the other side operate? Do they not have boosters, other coaches, fans, administration?

What big name did he land there? Sorry, but landing an assistant likes Heupel at a place like UCF is easy to keep this quiet.

The silence is informative. Either our targets guys off the beat (not coaching), a guy like Campbell who has no agent and where there aren’t powerful boosters, or an assistant. Or no one has agreed.

VN Store

Back