Basillo: Lane Kiffin wants to come home

Would Kiffin accept the job if offered?

• Yes

Votes: 124 76.5%
  • No

Votes: 38 23.5%

• Total voters
Agreed. I would look at other options because Kiffin has consistently shown a mercenary mentality that would be very disruptive to a program craving stability like plants crave electrolytes.

We crave RELEVANCE. WINNING. STREET CRED. Let the AD provide the stability thru whatever reasonable oversight or other resources needed.

Free Lane Kiffin to do what he does best within the required admin boundaries to ensure “stability” along the way. Let’s get this done and send this. Just my .02

Reactions: ReelfootVol
We crave RELEVANCE. WINNING. STREET CRED. Let the AD provide the stability thru whatever reasonable oversight or other resources needed.

Free Lane Kiffin to do what he does best within the required admin boundaries to ensure “stability” along the way. Let’s get this done and send this. Just my .02

Everyone wants a winning program, but why rehire an unpredictable liar if there are other qualified candidates? You just don't know what he'll do in 2 years (or one) to eff his employer or commit violations, which he routinely does over and over and over again. Just like he's putting the screws to Ole Miss right now by threatening to leave. He is a job hopper who leaves before he gets in trouble or fired. My .02 as a person who hires people for a living.

Everyone wants a winning program, but why rehire an unpredictable liar if there are other qualified candidates? You just don't know what he'll do in 2 years (or one) to eff his employer or commit violations, which he routinely does over and over and over again. Just like he's putting the screws to Ole Miss right now by threatening to leave. He is a job hopper who leaves before he gets in trouble or fired. My .02 as a person who hires people for a living.

It's true that Kiffin is a "high risk/high reward" candidate. However I do not believe there is another candidate out there that

A. Clearly wants to come hear.
B. Has head coaching experience.
C. Is an offensive minded coach that plays a fun and exciting brand of football and puts up points.
D. Will get big time recruits to come here and flip this roster any faster than Kiffin will.

Every other candidate possess some of these qualities. Every other candidate possesses many of these qualities. But NO other candidate possesses all of these qualities. If we are serious about winning and winning as quickly as we possibly can, Kiffin is CLEARLY the best choice.

I'm not by anymeans an insider, however I'm being told by some low ranking folks who work in the athletic department that the Haslams, Peyton, and Boyd are pushing for Kiffin. Now the people telling me this are also getting info second hand so TIFWIW

Reactions: davethevol
I have heard White wants a coach in place by Tuesday. I think we are hosting some recruits for next weekend? Anyone heard this? Also 2-4 in portal may be returning. I believe if thats the case, he may have his man already.

I could seriously do without hearing anything else about Gruden or Kiffin. Both of them have used Tn for better jobs and raises.

Would Kiffin had led Coastal Carolina to wins vs #13 BYU
And
#20 Louisiana ?

I watched the Byu/Coastal game again last night and really watched the offense.

It all runs through their tailback Marable. Without him and the defensive front they lose that game.

I didn't see enough vertical passing game to get excited about. And they run a lot of speed option. Without the right quarterback it wouldn't work here. Maybe Salter could run it?

Imo the defense won the game for them. They kept pressure on the BYU qb all night and he never got into a rythm or had a clean pocket to throw out of all night.

Maybe wee need to look at their DC or defensive line coach. Lol

I'm gonna watch the Liberty game in a bit and see if they change it up or run the same stuff. I want to see how adaptive Chadwell is or if he continues to run the same plays.

And I'm not running Chadwell down here, obviously his system works. I'm just not sold on it working against the big, fast, physical defenses in the SEC.

Sidenote - Byu was big and physical, but they weren't all that fast on defense to my eye. They played a ton of zone.

Every other candidate possess some of these qualities. Every other candidate possesses many of these qualities. But NO other candidate possesses all of these qualities. If we are serious about winning and winning as quickly as we possibly can, Kiffin is CLEARLY the best choice.

To each his own, and I agree Kiffin would bring quick wins - but how long would he stay? History says not long.

That's why, imo, there is very little chance Danny White will stake his position as AD on Kiffin. White is capable of finding winning coaches like Frost and Heupel at UCF, but both of them left after a few years. That's a big problem for an AD because they have to start the hiring process again, deal with bigger payouts, manage fan expectations, etc. To fix that issue White will have to make a good enough hire with a big upside, and then use Tennessee's budget and position in the SEC to retain them year after so UT becomes a coaching destination, not a stepping stone. He's good at his job, so he should do well.

But I could be completely wrong...

If he wants to be here so badly, why did he leave the first time. I'll bet he wants Layla back also, but he screwed that up with Saban's daughter.

He just wants a raise from Mississippi.

Basillo went on the on air (1/18) and stated:

"Lane Kiffin has reached out to our booster base and made it clear he wants the job."

"I was told this today at 2:49 p.m. by a booster. He said Lane called as soon as soon as it was official."

TIFWIW...

Maybe AD White can get it done ??
Never realized that insane lane kiffin was from Knoxville myself! I may eventually b willing to give him a chance but not now still to immature n my humble opinion!

Wasn’t Phil kinda the fan favorite after Currie sabotaged the head FB coach hiring process? We were a fan base in panic mode as a result. The administration either felt the same way or wanted to appease the fans by trotting Fulmer back out to save the day. Obviously it didn’t work out, either way. I don’t follow it enough to know who was chancellor at what time/etc unless they give reason to remember them (ie little jimmy boogers), but hopefully the current administrators are actually going to let an AD and a coach build a healthy culture this time.
I know there are fans that think Fulmer did a good job while AD. Not sure what % wanted him in that role

VN Store

Back