Basillo: Lane Kiffin wants to come home

Would Kiffin accept the job if offered?

• Yes

Votes: 124 76.5%
  • No

Votes: 38 23.5%

• Total voters
The problem is the present state of the program. It is a disaster area. Fulmer left a weak program. He didn't leave anything like this.

You can't afford to hire a guy with a wanderlust like Lane Kiffin in this situation.

Is he more mature? Yes.

Is he more careful in his operation of a program? Yes.

Is he a better coach now than he was in 2009? Yes.

Will he leave you after a year or two? Yes.

You can't take that risk after what Squidbilly has left behind.

Coaches are only offered better jobs than what they currently have by demonstrating they win so if CLK were to be offered a job somewhere with more prestige it would only come after he had won big here.

Reactions: Herman Hickman
He would go there if he sees it as a better opportunity because that’s what he does. That’s the only reason he has managed to maintain this weird relationship with some of our fan base. We are the desperate ex who knows better than to take him back, but he knows that we are just dumb enough to possibly do it. We are the only program with big time resources that he would have a slight chance at, because literally nobody else wants him at the moment. But he would be gone the minute he repaired his reputation here, and somebody hotter hits on him.
There are MANY MANY MANY better opportunities than TN ..college ..Pro whatever ... any coach looking for better opportunities .. you got to live in the NOW ..if he is best option ..get HIM here .

I'LL TAKE IT FROM HERE.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Milehigh_Vol
Of all the potential, Dynasty building HC's, a lot of you would love for Kiffin to return. That's like welcoming home your Girlfriend, knowing she just got dug out by some other dude. Then you give her a big ol kiss in the mouth and say, "I missed you baby". Some of y'all are sick if you want that dude here. He had his chance. He decided to leave. And when he left he tried to take recruits with him!!!

There are MANY MANY MANY better opportunities than TN ..college ..Pro whatever ... any coach looking for better opportunities .. you got to live in the NOW ..if he is best option ..get HIM here .

Something tells me that I could never convince you he isn’t the best option.

Reactions: tennesseeduke
Something tells me that I could never convince you he isn’t the best option.
so what bowl game ban ... its just one game .. use that time for weightroom and study .. practice .. give the guys some fun things to do .. enjoy DEC ..while the other teams are preparing .. it is what it is .. yea we will loose scholarships .. means you arent gonna have those 10 guys a year that you say why in the world did we ever sign that guy .. he will never play .. take the lumps and move on ..dont take it as such a demoralizing blow .. pick yourself up and move on .. beat the bowl teams and get satisfaction there ....

If you even entertain the option of letting Kiffin come back to UT, you have to word the contract in UTs favor. You have to let him know up front that

1) He will not have a buyout clause.
2) He will owe UT a pre-determined amount of money when leaving. Hopefully worded to include the entire amount of his salary from the point of hire to the point of departure
3) Putting out feelers or entertaining any new employment, while at UT, is an immediate Breach of Contract with possibility of fine or termination
A portion of his salary needs to be withheld and paid only at the beginning of the next season. he would have to have a buyout on his part if he left that would basically bankrupt him. 5 years with our option to renew for 2 more. He is a good coach and seems to be a very productive offensive mind but he is a loose cannon.

Probably been said a dozen times in this thread and countless others, but...

The big reason we hated him leaving so much was because he brought excitement to a team and fans that hadn't experienced this in years. Then we got the exact opposite of that in his replacement. Kiffin haters can deny this all they want.

Think about waking up next to Layla one morning, and then having Janet Reno walking around your house naked for the next 10 years as her replacement in your life.

This has been UT football.

Reactions: elmovols

The big reason we hated him leaving so much was because he brought excitement to a team and fans that hadn't experienced this in years. Then we got the exact opposite of that in his replacement. Kiffin haters can deny this all they want.

Think about waking up next to Layla one morning, and then having Janet Reno walking around your house naked for the next 10 years as her replacement in your life.

LOL ... yep .. UUUUGGGGHHHHHHH

So, Kiffin ran out on Tennessee to go to USC...in the middle of January of 2010. Left UT in a really bad situation. We ended up hiring Dooley and here we are 11 years later still trying to figure this thing out. We want to do the same thing to Ole Miss as USC did to us with Kiffin. What is to keep Kiffin from taking off for another job again when he realizes this ship isn't as easy to turn as he would like? When he finds out the fans are going to give him all of 1 season or less before they start painting the rock to fire Kiffin and hire Freeze. We aren't going to be getting any instant gratification here and Kiffin isn't the man that seems like he will stick around to get the job done.

Reactions: So.ProVOL
Leaving in the middle of the night PROVES the immaturity of LK’s decision. Mature people who make rational mature decisions don’t do that. They stand their ground explain their actions and do what it takes to leave an orderly transition. How is this hard to understand?

All I want to do is find out whether LK himself understands that, whether he’s matured enough to come back make amends and take us to the promised land. If so, given the right contract boundaries, I’m 100% for welcoming LK back with open arms.

Middle of the night?

Sad, but true.

Kiffin has been successful at every stop, since Oakland. USC had how many scholarship reductions? Check the resume. Anybody that doesn't want him is just saying so because they have a huge ego.

I think Kiffin would come if offered. I also think he would drop us like a hot potato mid season if an NFL team called.
depends on the contract... pretty sure we could make it interesting with him based on last time and if he were to leave ol Miss after 1 yr as well

Of all the potential, Dynasty building HC's, a lot of you would love for Kiffin to return. That's like welcoming home your Girlfriend, knowing she just got dug out by some other dude. Then you give her a big ol kiss in the mouth and say, "I missed you baby". Some of y'all are sick if you want that dude here. He had his chance. He decided to leave. And when he left he tried to take recruits with him!!!

explain dug out LOL jk

It’s not even the leaving after one season, calling recruits and telling them not to go to class, or the stupid things he would always say publicly. If I were an AD interviewing him, I would definitely ask about those things. But I would also ask him about the time he tried a 76 yard field goal. Or why he fired a secretary who had more years at her job than he had on earth the first time she was late for work. I would ask about the rumors that circulate the internet about his off the clock time. And eventually would ask about his coaching resume. What is his signature win? Is he blaming his failure at USC on the sanctions, and is he aware that we are also facing sanctions? These are legitimate concerns that should not put him at the top of this coaching search. The guy is monkey with a hammer. Don’t get me wrong, I like a part of his riverboat gambler style. But as one poster said to me on here, he is his own worst enemy. This is not the time or place to take your chances with him.

Everyone on here giving Basilio crap obviously hasn’t been reading or listening to him lately. He’s one of the few that have actually been close to spot on lately. If he says it, I’d trust it, unlike Hyams or the 247 guys.

Truth!! Listening to him in the past has been shaky at times but this go around he is on the money with everything, and well before it happens I don't know if he's obtained new sources but they are the real deal if so. I'm trusting everything he says at the moment. He isn't afraid to put it out there and eat **** when he's wrong. Say what you want about him but a coward he is not

Truth!! Listening to him in the past has been shaky at times but this go around he is on the money with everything, and well before it happens I don't know if he's obtained new sources but they are the real deal if so. I'm trusting everything he says at the moment. He isn't afraid to put it out there and eat **** when he's wrong. Say what you want about him but a coward he is not
agreed... he isn't making up stuff... he hears it from some of his sources that are a lot better than most of ours and he isn't afraid to share it. is he always right, no...neither are we, but he doesn't have to be... he's not news media, he's a talk show talking about what is going on and what he's heard. he can go off the rails at times but its a lot more entertaining then some of the state run shows that tells us all is well and good even when its not

Reactions: RockyTopJewel
He would go there if he sees it as a better opportunity because that’s what he does. That’s the only reason he has managed to maintain this weird relationship with some of our fan base. We are the desperate ex who knows better than to take him back, but he knows that we are just dumb enough to possibly do it. We are the only program with big time resources that he would have a slight chance at, because literally nobody else wants him at the moment. But he would be gone the minute he repaired his reputation here, and somebody hotter hits on him.

I don't think Kiffin is a realistic option so its probably not worth the time, but where would he go? He's not going back to the NFL. USC isn't going to call and he wouldn't take the call if they did. He only left Tennessee the first time for his dream job. If he got the job and had Tennessee rolling again, why would he leave for another program? Tennessee at full strength is a top 10-15 program. Why would he leave Tennessee for Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, etc.? This narrative that if Kiffin took the job again he would just leave after a year or two is not very strong.

Reactions: WillyTvol

VN Store

Back