Basilio Still Thinks Pruitt is Likely Gone

Their coaching philosophies couldn't be any further apart, plus Steele does not put up with meddling and told Malzhan to shove it. Doesn't add up

Yeah, I get that from a philosophy standpoint, but if he is just coaching LB's, then his philosophy doesn't matter all that much. He will just be coaching a position within Pruitt's defense. I agree that none of this makes sense, but rarely do the moves they make on the Hill make a ton of sense to me.

I just don't give them enough credit to think they either (a) actually have a plan, or (b) have the ability to coordinate a conspiracy that hasn't already fully leaked to the press. People don't keep secrets in this town.

I get that angle, but it's not that hard to understand. He and Steele probably know each other pretty well, and they have coached together before, I believe. Pruitt knows that he is going into a make or break year where he absolutely has to win, and the defense was suspect - with the linebackers being a big problem. This investigation is set up right now for Niedermeyer to fall on the sword, which opens up a LB coaching spot, and Steele is a stellar linebacker's coach. Steele is able to recruit with anyone, and he has a close tie to Rodney Garner, who could fill our vacant DL/bagman position.

I don't like that this is all very possible, but it is.
I would think Steele is replacing Neidermeyer which is an elite up grade. It would be hard to not imagine that Garner is coming to coach the D-Line. When the so called Hiring Freeze was reported Football Scoop said Pruitt was ready to hire both of them. It would be really great if both Big Kat Bryant and DaQuan Newkirk transferred here too.

I would think Steele is replacing Neidermeyer which is an elite up grade. It would be hard to not imagine that Garner is coming to coach the D-Line. When the so called Hiring Freeze was reported Football Scoop said Pruitt was ready to hire both of them. It would be really great if both Big Kat Bryant and DaQuan Newkirk transferred here too.
I think youre going to see a lot of players pause on transferring

If Pruitt were to get a show cause it would be 3 years from now. There isn't even an NCAA investigation going on. It's an internal investigation.

correct, but if the internal investigation finds wrongdoing they can get rid of Pruitt, self impose some sanctions and get out in front of any NCAA punishments which would certainly help their case

Exactly. A lot of people are on this Fire Phil train, but when he was brought in, it was a complete mess. We had already burned through most if not all of realistic HC candidates at the time. Overall athletics are at the best spot in years. Baseball is back, Lady Vols showing signs, national basketball program, softball still rolling, etc.

Are there some good HC candidates out there this year? Yes. Look at how Auburn and SC went though. I think we've created a league that scares a lot of coaches away. It's 3 years and out. Over and over and over. Then, you can even win a natty and still be out (Gus, Les, and probably Coach O next). Freeze is an exciting option. Gus would be a clear and immediate upgrade, as would Tom Herman. Chadwell is green but is a local guy with a ton of national momentum. Exciting options for sure, but I could easily see us letting Pruitt go and then wind up looking at: Doug Marrone, Jamey Chadwell, and Kevin Steele as our three options. We burned a ton of bridges in the last coaching search.

With all that said, it's hard to sit here and look at last years staff that was a failure. We regressed essentially in all levels. Now, you can sit here with a defensive coaching staff of: Pruitt, Ansley, Steele, and maybe even Rodney G. If, and it's a big if, Pruitt will take a look in the mirror and see a staff that would be and has been well regarded in the SEC and just let them coach. We could very well walk backwards into an 8-4 type of season next year. This is all assuming we find at least an average SEC QB. The defensive coaching staff listed above should be expected to put out a Top 5 SEC level defense.
Through all the fire and the flames lately, people underestimate just how abnormal and destructive JG's play was to the entire team. If Pruitt had put a capable QB out there early on things would be quite different right now. The QB play really sunk the ship. I mean momentum destroying play after momentum destroying play can do that. It's not hard to imagine that between Bailey, Salter and Hooker we can get some good QB play. Could easily walk into a 8-4 record. Then it would just be up to Chaney to put together a good offense with a good QB as opposed to the WORST QB.

Through all the fire and the flames lately, people underestimate just how abnormal and destructive JG's play was to the entire team. If Pruitt had put a capable QB out there early on things would be quite different right now. The QB play really sunk the ship. I mean momentum destroying play after momentum destroying play can do that. It's not hard to imagine that between Bailey, Salter and Hooker we can get some good QB play. Could easily walk into a 8-4 record. Then it would just be up to Chaney to put together a good offense with a good QB as opposed to the WORST QB.
Pruitt 100% has to shoulder most of the blame but if you had told us last year we'd walk into 2021 with Garner, Steele, Ansley and Pruitt as defensive coaches. We would all say yes. We have to make some offensive adjustments and join 2021 football though. Pruitt has to delegate and let coaches coach.

Basilio is right quite a bit more than he's been wrong. I've listened to him for almost 15 years off an on as time permits. One thing I definitely believe is that he's dialed in and gets good information most of the time. Not everyone is going to be right 100% of the time but he's still not the only guy that's saying Pruitt is still history. Many other reporters still don't feel he's coming back.

That grad assistant that spilled the beans about the recruiting thing is going to be Pruitt's undoing. Because tomorrow when he sits down in front of the proverbial jury he's going to have to either lie or tell the truth - and either way I believe he's in big trouble.
Where is this grad assistant news ? Missed it

Pruitt thinks he is hiring a defensive assistant. He actually just hired the stopgap for when things go south and he is let go.

The administration knows if this keeps investigation keeps going and Pruitt is let go, it will need someone who can at least steady the program. While Steele isn't the ideal, he is someone who has copious SEC experience, who is trusted, and who will be able to keep the program from collapsing if/when Pruitt doesn't make it. He doesn't have to be the long term option, but he can be the option until we are able to conduct a thorough (and successful) coaching search.

Does this mean Pruitt is safe? I don't believe so. It just means that we now have a "Plan B" in case it all falls apart. Or maybe, when it all falls apart.

Bottom Line
Steel is a friend of Fulmer’s

I'm hearing that Nieds is the center of the investigation. He will be the fall guy.

Pruitt needs to make a couple more hires this week, starting with OL/DL. If he doesn't then I begin to wonder about him being fired.

As for right now, my reading is that he is staying.

correct, but if the internal investigation finds wrongdoing they can get rid of Pruitt, self impose some sanctions and get out in front of any NCAA punishments which would certainly help their case
Sure but there would be no show cause from the NCAA that fast.

If Pruitt were to get a show cause it would be 3 years from now. There isn't even an NCAA investigation going on. It's an internal investigation.

Do we know for sure that the NCAA has not started an investigation after the self report?

More like he's saying this to keep people listening.
This, and I actually like TB and listen to his show . I do not ever recall any news that was broken directly by TB or any of his guests. On Monday he was the first that I heard to mention that the VU BB game would likely be postponed.
He regularly talks to Chris Lee who covers VU sports and that was his source and it turned out to be true . TB does what any sports talking head does . He throws sh*t on the barn wall and sees what sticks . I don’t remember the topic but I remember within the last couple of days that a lead into his next segment was a rumor lifted directly off of this very message board 😂😂

VN Store

Back