Basilio Still Thinks Pruitt is Likely Gone

I think the signs point to Pruitt coming back. In the schools statement it said pruitt looks forward to working with Steele. And steeles statement says he looks forward to working with Pruitt. I get it- 'what else are they going to say?'. But the statement didn't have to say that.

Pruitt looked forward to working with Brumbaugh too lol.

He really is the style of defensive line coach that we’re looking for. When we had the job come open, we didn’t interview anybody else. We didn’t interview him. We just offered him the job and he came.”

I agree with you that Pruitt is coming back. And this Steele hire looks like they are trying to prop him up for another season with a more seasoned coach.

Fulmer gonna pull this team into the abyss via his ginormous ego.

Very possible Steele is named interim. But there are talented head coaches out there. You've got Freeze, whose only challenge will be keeping his mouth in check and not bringing investigations down on himself. You've got Chadwell and Napier, both of whom scream "Jim Tressel" for me in terms of what they've been able to accomplish at a lower level as head coaches. You've got Gus Malzahn, a coach whose floor seems to be six or seven wins once he gets things up and running at a school.

If Freeze scares the crap out of you because he has a problem with self-discipline, then I can get that (The man's tactical brilliance, however, is beyond question.). But I don't see why you don't at least kick the tires on these other guys out there and get a good look at what they bring to the table.

Things easily can change in a year. There is absolutely no guarantee that you'll have the same pool of talent to choose from if you hire an interim and finish with another bottom-feeder record.

Regardless of what takes place, I never want to see another Tennessee hire come with Nick Saban's seal of approval. If we get that, then we are simply digging ourselves further into our own grave.

We didn't have options after Fulmer got in there, once he got that AD job that was the end of it. At that time the only option was Pruitt because he was the only one who would allow Fulmer to meddle.

So, essentially me and you are on the same page
Exactly. A lot of people are on this Fire Phil train, but when he was brought in, it was a complete mess. We had already burned through most if not all of realistic HC candidates at the time. Overall athletics are at the best spot in years. Baseball is back, Lady Vols showing signs, national basketball program, softball still rolling, etc.

Are there some good HC candidates out there this year? Yes. Look at how Auburn and SC went though. I think we've created a league that scares a lot of coaches away. It's 3 years and out. Over and over and over. Then, you can even win a natty and still be out (Gus, Les, and probably Coach O next). Freeze is an exciting option. Gus would be a clear and immediate upgrade, as would Tom Herman. Chadwell is green but is a local guy with a ton of national momentum. Exciting options for sure, but I could easily see us letting Pruitt go and then wind up looking at: Doug Marrone, Jamey Chadwell, and Kevin Steele as our three options. We burned a ton of bridges in the last coaching search.

With all that said, it's hard to sit here and look at last years staff that was a failure. We regressed essentially in all levels. Now, you can sit here with a defensive coaching staff of: Pruitt, Ansley, Steele, and maybe even Rodney G. If, and it's a big if, Pruitt will take a look in the mirror and see a staff that would be and has been well regarded in the SEC and just let them coach. We could very well walk backwards into an 8-4 type of season next year. This is all assuming we find at least an average SEC QB. The defensive coaching staff listed above should be expected to put out a Top 5 SEC level defense.

Reactions: Vollifer1949
No reason for Steele to come here as a position coach making peanuts compared to what he was making at Auburn, including his huge buyout.

Unless....

Pruitt thinks he is hiring a defensive assistant. He actually just hired the stopgap for when things go south and he is let go.

The administration knows if this keeps investigation keeps going and Pruitt is let go, it will need someone who can at least steady the program. While Steele isn't the ideal, he is someone who has copious SEC experience, who is trusted, and who will be able to keep the program from collapsing if/when Pruitt doesn't make it. He doesn't have to be the long term option, but he can be the option until we are able to conduct a thorough (and successful) coaching search.

Does this mean Pruitt is safe? I don't believe so. It just means that we now have a "Plan B" in case it all falls apart. Or maybe, when it all falls apart.

Could it be that "others" have seen that Steele has been hired to run the defense for Freeze (with his agreement) when things finally play out for Pruitt. What I am saying maybe things are being played out before Pruitt leaves. Of course, this assumes Pruitt is gone and soon.

Pruitt thinks he is hiring a defensive assistant. He actually just hired the stopgap for when things go south and he is let go.

The administration knows if this keeps investigation keeps going and Pruitt is let go, it will need someone who can at least steady the program. While Steele isn't the ideal, he is someone who has copious SEC experience, who is trusted, and who will be able to keep the program from collapsing if/when Pruitt doesn't make it. He doesn't have to be the long term option, but he can be the option until we are able to conduct a thorough (and successful) coaching search.

Does this mean Pruitt is safe? I don't believe so. It just means that we now have a "Plan B" in case it all falls apart. Or maybe, when it all falls apart.

This is what should have happened when Kiffin left for USC following the 2009 season, weeks in front of national signing day, completely out of sequence for any meaningful coaching search, in reality you'd rather sacrifice one problematic season to get back in the proper coaching hiring cycle, rather than make a panic hire creating 3 problematic seasons, potentially more if things don't go well.

I love how everyone at VN thinks like GOT writers. Fulmer didn’t hire Steele to have a back pocket option for when they Red Wedding Pruitt. They hired Steele because it was a perfect opportunity given the fact we got him on a 2 year contract at chump change due to his firing from Auburn. However, Pruitt had say in this hire and, for once, it was a smart move on his part. He might suck as a HC, but he’s not a dumb, business minded guy. You don’t make it to this level if you don’t know how to play the business game. In other words, JP isn’t going to jump on board hiring the guy who’s set to replace him. JP will be our coach going into next year, this hire pretty much confirms that.

Correct, it's amazing what people will believe. I guess we are so downtrodden that we cling to any form of hope or path moving forward regardless of how ridiculous it sounds

No reason for Steele to come here as a position coach making peanuts compared to what he was making at Auburn, including his huge buyout.

Unless....

he isn't making peanuts... he's getting a ton from Auburn still as per his contract there. Sorta like the Butch Jones at Bama scenario.

Exactly. A lot of people are on this Fire Phil train, but when he was brought in, it was a complete mess. We had already burned through most if not all of realistic HC candidates at the time. Overall athletics are at the best spot in years. Baseball is back, Lady Vols showing signs, national basketball program, softball still rolling, etc.

Are there some good HC candidates out there this year? Yes. Look at how Auburn and SC went though. I think we've created a league that scares a lot of coaches away. It's 3 years and out. Over and over and over. Then, you can even win a natty and still be out (Gus, Les, and probably Coach O next). Freeze is an exciting option. Gus would be a clear and immediate upgrade, as would Tom Herman. Chadwell is green but is a local guy with a ton of national momentum. Exciting options for sure, but I could easily see us letting Pruitt go and then wind up looking at: Doug Marrone, Jamey Chadwell, and Kevin Steele as our three options. We burned a ton of bridges in the last coaching search.

With all that said, it's hard to sit here and look at last years staff that was a failure. We regressed essentially in all levels. Now, you can sit here with a defensive coaching staff of: Pruitt, Ansley, Steele, and maybe even Rodney G. If, and it's a big if, Pruitt will take a look in the mirror and see a staff that would be and has been well regarded in the SEC and just let them coach. We could very well walk backwards into an 8-4 type of season next year. This is all assuming we find at least an average SEC QB. The defensive coaching staff listed above should be expected to put out a Top 5 SEC level defense.
Outside of Lady Vols basketball Fulmer has ZERO to do with that. Word around town is Rick Barnes only reports to Boyd and Fulmer has no involvement there. Coach V. was hired by Curie and Fulmer has no involvement there either. So essentially the one thing Fulmer meddles in is in complete shambles, shocker

Basilio is right quite a bit more than he's been wrong. I've listened to him for almost 15 years off an on as time permits. One thing I definitely believe is that he's dialed in and gets good information most of the time. Not everyone is going to be right 100% of the time but he's still not the only guy that's saying Pruitt is still history. Many other reporters still don't feel he's coming back.

That grad assistant that spilled the beans about the recruiting thing is going to be Pruitt's undoing. Because tomorrow when he sits down in front of the proverbial jury he's going to have to either lie or tell the truth - and either way I believe he's in big trouble.

Honestly I don’t see it as a bad move either. Especially if we just call him interim head coach and only pay him 450k. You give him a year to see what he can do and if not, you get out of it cheap and can afford to spend money on the next hire
And you forfeit the 2022 recruiting class. Another brilliant move by Fulmer. Why can’t we get rid of this loser?

And you forfeit the 2022 recruiting class. Another brilliant move by Fulmer. Why can’t we get rid of this loser?

Do you forfeit it? We’ve seen plenty of schools hire an interim head coach and be okay in recruiting. You’d also have a new coach in place prior to early signing day.

Reactions: sonofUT62
Basilio is right quite a bit more than he's been wrong. I've listened to him for almost 15 years off an on as time permits. One thing I definitely believe is that he's dialed in and gets good information most of the time. Not everyone is going to be right 100% of the time but he's still not the only guy that's saying Pruitt is still history. Many other reporters still don't feel he's coming back.

That grad assistant that spilled the beans about the recruiting thing is going to be Pruitt's undoing. Because tomorrow when he sits down in front of the proverbial jury he's going to have to either lie or tell the truth - and either way I believe he's in big trouble.
Had not heard of said grad assistant!!! Name if known and why is Gray and Maurer on the hotseat? A friend of mine wants to know! That GA is a dirty rat!

VN Store

Back