Basilio Still Thinks Pruitt is Likely Gone

Basilio is right quite a bit more than he's been wrong. I've listened to him for almost 15 years off an on as time permits. One thing I definitely believe is that he's dialed in and gets good information most of the time. Not everyone is going to be right 100% of the time but he's still not the only guy that's saying Pruitt is still history. Many other reporters still don't feel he's coming back.

That grad assistant that spilled the beans about the recruiting thing is going to be Pruitt's undoing. Because tomorrow when he sits down in front of the proverbial jury he's going to have to either lie or tell the truth - and either way I believe he's in big trouble.

There is zero chance that Pruitt or any coach with a future in coaching is going to admit to major recruiting violations. It would destroy their career

I don't like Basilio but I hope he's right. We've had enough of this clown running a dumpster fire. And he can't even do that well. He's a bum who needs to be kicked to the curb. GET RID OF THIS GOMER PYLE

Basilio is right quite a bit more than he's been wrong. I've listened to him for almost 15 years off an on as time permits. One thing I definitely believe is that he's dialed in and gets good information most of the time. Not everyone is going to be right 100% of the time but he's still not the only guy that's saying Pruitt is still history. Many other reporters still don't feel he's coming back.

That grad assistant that spilled the beans about the recruiting thing is going to be Pruitt's undoing. Because tomorrow when he sits down in front of the proverbial jury he's going to have to either lie or tell the truth - and either way I believe he's in big trouble.
Pretty clear I want Pruitt gone so this is not my saying he should be retained, but I seriously doubt this staff has done anything every school in this league does annually. Don't think it will be anything major, but he deserves to go because he was bad at cheating and despite the cheating he STILL could only manage 3 wins. Failed all the way around. Gotta go.

Reactions: sccshortstop
In my opinion Fulmer should have hired Steele to start with instead of Pruitt give his final 3. Been around longer, way more experienced, and still a great recruiter. I think he would’ve built a better staff because he is so well respected. Again I say this because he was one of the final 3. The Pruitt hire is to the Clawson hire where the Steele hire would’ve been to the Mike DeBord hire. Flashy and new vs experienced and proven. Fulmer chose poorly both times.

There is zero chance that Pruitt or any coach with a future in coaching is going to admit to major recruiting violations. It would destroy their career
It might hurt it temporarily, but if they're a good coach it will be forgotten shortly. Freeze looked bad for a year or so, but he'll be back at a major program before too long. Because he's seen as a proven winning good head coach. Not true for Pruitt yet.

Tomo

Tomorrow?

It might hurt it temporarily, but if they're a good coach it will be forgotten shortly. Freeze looked bad for a year or so, but he'll be back at a major program before too long. Because he's seen as a proven winning good head coach. Not true for Pruitt yet.

Hugh Freeze didn't break the sin of paying players, once you admit to that your career is essentially over as a head coach. He also has a pretty underwhelming record as a head coach. A team was willing to risk the controversy of hiring Freeze based off of his successes at Ole Miss

Pretty clear I want Pruitt gone so this is not my saying he should be retained, but I seriously doubt this staff has done anything every school in this league does annually. Don't think it will be anything major, but he deserves to go because he was bad at cheating and despite the cheating he STILL could only manage 3 wins. Failed all the way around. Gotta go.

It doesn't have to be L1 violations to get rid of him. Blake T. dug into his contract language and it appears he can be ousted for cause without those L1 violations.

Hugh Freeze didn't break the sin of paying players, once you admit to that your career is essentially over as a head coach. He also has a pretty underwhelming record as a head coach. A team was willing to risk the controversy of hiring Freeze based off of his successes at Ole Miss
Lets admit it and accept what Freeze did and what a vast majority of adults would do is cheat on their spouse when the opportunity came along. Not all but alot. As long as his family forgave him and the almighty does as well if he asked then we should let it go. I read something about throwing the first stone somewhere. Freeze has always wanted to coach on the hill and i suspect one day he will. JMHO as always!

Yes, a lot of people dislike and discredit him, but it’s something. He posted his blog this evening, and he said that if Pruitt’s job security was a football game he would be “down 35-7 at home against Kentucky with JG at quarterback.” He also notes that he thinks Kevin Steele is going to be the interim if (when) Tennessee fires Pruitt. Not sure if I’m buying it, but it’s still something to note.

Speculation IMO. I think Pruitt is here to stay another year at least and Pruitt just hired a solid assistant that will coach the DL and be co DC unless Ansley is gone.

Last edited:
Reactions: sccshortstop
Basilio just made a good point, why would Pruitt bring in Steele, when Steele was the runner up for the job in 17 when he's an embattled coach

I get that angle, but it's not that hard to understand. He and Steele probably know each other pretty well, and they have coached together before, I believe. Pruitt knows that he is going into a make or break year where he absolutely has to win, and the defense was suspect - with the linebackers being a big problem. This investigation is set up right now for Niedermeyer to fall on the sword, which opens up a LB coaching spot, and Steele is a stellar linebacker's coach. Steele is able to recruit with anyone, and he has a close tie to Rodney Garner, who could fill our vacant DL/bagman position.

I don't like that this is all very possible, but it is.

Reactions: DERELICK_MY_VOLS
If Pruitt gets a for cause could we get one for Fulmer too since he has been sitting in on all of the meetings?

I get that angle, but it's not that hard to understand. He and Steele probably know each other pretty well, and they have coached together before, I believe. Pruitt knows that he is going into a make or break year where he absolutely has to win, and the defense was suspect - with the linebackers being a big problem. This investigation is set up right now for Niedermeyer to fall on the sword, which opens up a LB coaching spot, and Steele is a stellar linebacker's coach. Steele is able to recruit with anyone, and he has a close tie to Rodney Garner, who could fill our vacant DL/bagman position.

I don't like that this is all very possible, but it is.
Their coaching philosophies couldn't be any further apart, plus Steele does not put up with meddling and told Malzhan to shove it. Doesn't add up

VN Store

Back