Jeff Fisher comments on interest in the UT job

These guys may retire but they are still involved in the sport. They have contact with coaches every week. Everybody was beside themselves with the mere mention of Gruden but he was out of coaching for 10 years......oh I forgot his wife was a cheerleader and he was a coffee fetcher on the hill while he worked at Hooters.

Gruden was an offensive guy. He is a name that top HS recruits would recognize and many, specifically QBs would respect. I mean HS kids saw Gruden sitting down and talking with Manning, Brady and Rodgers. Gruden won a Super Bowl.

Huge difference.

Personally I like this option better than Freeze

(Not as big of an applause for Fisher, just dont understand the love of Freeze)

Won everywhere he has been. Built a solid program in OM. One of the best offensive minds in college football. One of only a handful of coaches that have multiple wins over Saban. Can recruit and get a lot out of his players.

Oh and it seems like he WANTS to be here. So by all means please explain how Fisher would be better than Freeze.

NO. NO. And NO. He was good way back when. We need an offensive minded homerun hire to right the ship. Defensive minded coaches will bring the remaining fans into a frenzy. And not Tee either. An established coach.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Gruden was an offensive guy. He is a name that top HS recruits would recognize and many, specifically QBs would respect. I mean HS kids saw Gruden sitting down and talking with Manning, Brady and Rodgers. Gruden won a Super Bowl.

Huge difference.
l just think anybody in the NFL coaching ranks that is interested you may want to listen. They ALL know more about football than most everybody on this site combined and have a direct line to many of the top position coaches out there. I'm not saying he is the man by any means but what exactly does or did Pruitt, Jones ,Dooley and anybody else you can think of have that got them into the doors of high school kids homes......THE DREAM OF PLAYING PRO FOOTBALL, What more would you want than having a head coach with 22 years of head coaching Pro teams telling you that the dream is possible.

Won everywhere he has been. Built a solid program in OM. One of the best offensive minds in college football. One of only a handful of coaches that have multiple wins over Saban. Can recruit and get a lot out of his players.

Oh and it seems like he WANTS to be here. So by all means please explain how Fisher would be better than Freeze.

Violations up the wazoo, his record at OM wasn't super impressive.

Think Liberty was also a place that is on the upswing due to its general culture as one of the go-to for Christians and Conservatives.

Too much risk, not enough proof imo and we don't need risk of more violations

Eh,,,I would take him over what they will end up hiring if Pruitt is fired. I just dont see them hiring any of the names mentioned on here tho.

l just think anybody in the NFL coaching ranks that is interested you may want to listen. They ALL know more about football than most everybody on this site combined and have a direct line to many of the top position coaches out there. I'm not saying he is the man by any means but what exactly does or did Pruitt, Jones ,Dooley and anybody else you can think of have that got them into the doors of high school kids homes......THE DREAM OF PLAYING PRO FOOTBALL, What more would you want than having a head coach with 22 years of head coaching Pro teams telling you that the dream is possible.

Coaching at the NFL and college is not equal. It’s not even close. And those parents you speak of can easily hit google and find out just what type of HC he was.

While I agree that Fisher has forgotten more football than everyone on here combined. But he just was not a good HC. That would work against him in the college ranks imo. While he may know some good staff, do you honestly think he could assemble a collegiate staff better than say a Freeze or Malzahan? No way.

If Fisher has been a moderately successful HC in the NFL and a bit younger, then I would say definitely give him a call. But right now? There is a reason why he doesn’t have an NFL job. He just isn’t good.

Reactions: davethevol
Coaching at the NFL and college is not equal. It’s not even close. And those parents you speak of can easily hit google and find out just what type of HC he was.

While I agree that Fisher has forgotten more football than everyone on here combined. But he just was not a good HC. That would work against him in the college ranks imo. While he may know some good staff, do you honestly think he could assemble a collegiate staff better than say a Freeze or Malzahan? No way.

If Fisher has been a moderately successful HC in the NFL and a bit younger, then I would say definitely give him a call. But right now? There is a reason why he doesn’t have an NFL job. He just isn’t good.
You think Saban could get a NFL job if he wanted one?

Reactions: volintears
Very interesting.

No clue how he'd be as a 62 year old college coach, but a pretty good NFL coach. Difficult to say how that translates.

I do know this for a fact while in Nashville where I live Fisher and his staff put on clinics every year just as most NFL teams do and who do you think comes to those clinics....College coaches from all divisions including power 5 schools as well as high school coaches from all over the country and the NFL coaches are the ones doing the teaching and not being taught. And as you must admit he was good enough for 22 years so he must have had some idea about what he was doing.

I never said he would be my first choice but I think he should be in the discussion if he is interested.

I'm a pass...4 years since he has coached ANY team and NEVER coached a college squad in any capacity.

Only plus side is what I'll call the Penny Effect...all Hardaway did by taking the Memphis job was land a couple of big time recruits. Fisher would do that same thing here.

Um....no.

And boy have I been out of the Nashville sports radio loop. Not only did I not know Plaster had a show again, I didn't know he had already had a new show that got canceled after a month in 2019. I guess his relationship with his old buddies Willy and Darren must have soured or they didn't need him anymore. At the rate he's going, he'll be doing a midnight ham radio show in a few years.

Last edited:
So let’s have a realistic scenario here. Let’s say Pruitt is fired next week. Aside from Feeze, assuming that’s who you’d say, who would you feel is a realistic option that’s better than Fisher to come in and at least right the ship for the next few years? Over .500 in the NFL is a pretty solid record for a NFL coach.

Art Briles

VN Store

Back