The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

It's weird, I feel like Springer as a starter would benefit the team (which is already great). But then I'm also like who do you push to the bench?

Bailey & Santiago are doing great things on both sides of the ball. James seems to be the weak link, but his size allows him to guard bigger guys that I don't think Santi/Bailey could guard.
I don't see James as the weak link.

I don't see James as the weak link.

Hindsight is 20/20, at the time I said that he had scored 4 points in back to back games and I was speaking about offense.

I think JJJ if he's able to play like he did against Arkansas more consistently will be hard to put on the bench. But he can't be playing like he did against Missouri & Alabama.

Hindsight is 20/20, at the time I said that he had scored 4 points in back to back games and I was speaking about offense.

I think JJJ if he's able to play like he did against Arkansas more consistently will be hard to put on the bench. But he can't be playing like he did against Missouri & Alabama.
Oh, okay. That makes more sense even though his overall play even discounting point production is something else. Certainly, if he continues what he did against Arkansas, he is truly elite.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
Oh, okay. That makes more sense even though his overall play even discounting point production is something else. Certainly, if he continues what he did against Arkansas, he is truly elite.

Yeah, it's not a knock on him at all. He's got the most on court experience of the guards so I feel like the expectations for him by Barnes are going to be up. I think this season though he's likely going to hold that starting spot, neither freshmen have his size so they're more likely to bump Santi/Bailey than anything...IF James is able to contribute offensively at a high level (on top of everything else he does).

Reactions: cardvolfan

A lot of what he does doesn't show up in the box score. At least not in the scoring column. I think he is currently the best all-around player on the team. He isn't the best shooter, he isn't the best passer, he isn't the best scorer, he isn't the best rebounder, he isn't the best on-ball defender. But altogether, he is the best at all those things. Jack of all trades, master of none is perhaps an insult to him, but he is a lot like Tyler Smith was 13-14 years ago. He excels in so many things even if he isn't the best at any one of them.

Oh my @bleedingTNorange head might explode
Not really, you’d be hard pressed to find posts where I claim Bailey would start all year or that there wouldn’t be changes made. I think much like we saw last game, and the other games, who starts doesn’t mean much as minutes will still be had by the guards.

A lot of what he does doesn't show up in the box score. At least not in the scoring column. I think he is currently the best all-around player on the team. He isn't the best shooter, he isn't the best passer, he isn't the best scorer, he isn't the best rebounder, he isn't the best on-ball defender. But altogether, he is the best at all those things. Jack of all trades, master of none is perhaps an insult to him, but he is a lot like Tyler Smith was 13-14 years ago. He excels in so many things even if he isn't the best at any one of them.
He could be what you are saying here he just needs to be more consistent to be this player. He is still prone to the disappearing act for large parts of games. He was that guy in the last game.

Not really, you’d be hard pressed to find posts where I claim Bailey would start all year or that there wouldn’t be changes made. I think much like we saw last game, and the other games, who starts doesn’t mean much as minutes will still be had by the guards.

My post wasn’t about Bailey it was about SV

My post wasn’t about Bailey is was about SV
Same thought still applies, I’ve never stated he has to start all 25 games...I claimed he should start at beginning of the year, that was it. If Springer and Johnson move into that spot I’ve got no issue with it, again, I think they’ll all continue to get minutes.

I know who starts isn’t very significant in this program, but not sure about that move. At least just yet. Bailey is this teams best offensive player to date and it outweighs what he gives up to Keon in terms of defense. And offensively is where this team struggles the most. Keon is more dynamic and I expect he’ll continue to improve but I don’t know about getting a starting roll just yet

Then bench SV
I think he is the most volatile asset right now.

If the following guards were stocks; Keon Johnson, Jaden Springer, Santiago Vescovi, Josiah-Jordan James, and Victor Bailey, which do you feel safest buying and which do you feel most at-risk buying, today, with goal being to have the all-around, most valuable player at season's end?

For me...
Safest: JJJ
Riskiest: Vescovi

Same thought still applies, I’ve never stated he has to start all 25 games...I claimed he should start at beginning of the year, that was it. If Springer and Johnson move into that spot I’ve got no issue with it, again, I think they’ll all continue to get minutes.
I think it’s clear the ole “who does Barnes trust the most at Pg” angle is on very unstable ground now

Fulky played basically 30+ mpg for us last year and Pons nearly 35. I wondered if that might drop slightly w the deeper lineup and what I had hoped was some development of our other big men, but that’s not the case. Will probably see this going forward and Pons in at the 5 occasionally. Have to think EJ is still the best option off the bunch but guessing that might just be good for 10 mpg or so unless he starts showing something.

I think he is the most volatile asset right now.

If the following guards were stocks; Keon Johnson, Jaden Springer, Santiago Vescovi, Josiah-Jordan James, and Victor Bailey, which do you feel safest buying and which do you feel most at-risk buying, today, with goal being to have the all-around, most valuable player at season's end?

For me...
Safest: JJJ
Riskiest: Vescovi
Without a doubt. He basically got the starting PG gig by default and it happened to be great situation for him, and I think he’s continued to improve. Still though, his shortcomings make it hard to fend off the talent and dynamism of Keon and Springer.

JJJ is a blue chip stock. Bailey is a high dividend stock. Not going to make you rich but yields good returns

I am reading it to mean both Bailey and SV are out
That's how I understood it, I expect to see a lineup of Keon-Springer-JJJ-Pons-Fulk tomorrow. JJJ is going to need to continue to hunt for his shot in that lineup, and Springer to be fully healthy

It’s interesting that statistically speaking, Vescovi has had a very similar start to his career as Ryan Arcidiacono. Where he improved was reducing his turnovers and developing a strong midrange game. Vescovi should work on doing the same

Last edited:

VN Store

Back