The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

I think Fulk loves UT and comes back next year....especially if we don't win the SEC or make a F4.

Man, talk about high expectations...if we manage to get BHH with the current 2 incoming AND Fulkerson returns? Lord!

I think having seen Keon & Springer for 8 games now though that we for sure won't have Springer back. He could play in the NBA right now, this season is just him being required to be in college. Springer is a 1st rounder regardless imo, Keon may not be yet...so he'd definitely be able to benefit and improve his stock with another season here.

Through 8 games though I fully expect we lose 3 guys to the draft, Springer (obvious), Pons & Bailey. I hope Bailey returns, he'll have an even better season next year beside Chandler at the point.

Reactions: IndianapolisVol
No, it happens, certainly. And it is part of the learning curve. I just don't understand the desire to make Keon a PG when his current skill-set isn't that of a PG.

Bowden played it out of necessity. Bone was a PG. Keon is a wing, and while developing his PG skills will make him a better and more marketable pro, it is currently hurting our team and is better suited for offseason work and early season (non-conference) type games in a normal year. KJ doesn't need to be cutting his teeth at a new position against SEC competition. JMO.

Agreed, unfortunately though this year we didn't get that much of an offseason so maybe that's why it's happening now, and if it "clicks" by tournament time the bumps/bruises would be worth it.

Reactions: gainesvol82
I don't have any issue with it if it's in the final 5 mins of a blowout.
Me neither, but I'd probably rather see Springer getting experience there. He is more valuable to this team as a PG than Keon is as a PG, IMO. If they both stayed three years and KJ improved his PG skills (mostly his ball-handling) to be adequate, I might change my mind on that, but neither of those guys are gonna be here as juniors. So, to me, JS is closer to being a difference-maker at that position than Keon in the near term.

Reactions: gainesvol82
It's weird, I feel like Springer as a starter would benefit the team (which is already great). But then I'm also like who do you push to the bench?

Bailey & Santiago are doing great things on both sides of the ball. James seems to be the weak link, but his size allows him to guard bigger guys that I don't think Santi/Bailey could guard.

Last edited:
I forgot about him landing on his wrist badly.
He did, but it was his non-shooting hand, so I'm not sure what kind of effect it had on his shooting. Probably sore, but it is his guide hand, so especially on an uncontested FT, it would seem like a minor problem.

I think Vescovi has a high ceiling, but he still makes some bewildering decisions with the ball in his hands. He more often than not tries too hard to make something happen, as evidenced by the 3-4 times in the game we had a chance to get it back to 1-2 possessions and he either forced a terrible pass or he tried to drive the lane on his own and got stuffed.

Barnes even called him out in the post-game presser and said he had to stop playing that euro-style of ball and play within himself. Hopefully he takes this as a learning experience that he needs to let the game come to him and not force a bad decision in a critical possession.

I agree with this. He is a bit frustrating in that he's still a bit too sloppy with the ball and still has too many instances where he seems commit to making a drive but not really knowing what he's going to do with the ball. And in addition to the instances you mentioned about getting stuffed, he also missed a few wide open 3s that would have been huge to get us back in the game but bricked them.

That could cause Ticket, Pember or Uros to be encouraged to transfer to a mid major unless the NCAA ups scholarship limits for a year or two.
I don’t think this is a bad thing if we are improving the talent level. We currently have 4-5 project players who seem to have skill sets in which the deficient skills outweigh the adequate skills.

I don’t think this is a bad thing if we are improving the talent level. The issue is can we find more talented players in the spring. We currently have 4-5 project players who seem to have skill sets in which the deficient skills outweigh the adequate skills.

I'd honestly rather keep 4 or 5 project guys, feel like culture is built from time with the staff & in the program and if you have too many 1 & done guys ya lose that.

Reactions: cardvolfan
I'd honestly rather keep 4 or 5 project guys, feel like culture is built from time with the staff & in the program and if you have too many 1 & done guys ya lose that.

ORN and Walker stay and go after a mix of potential one and done guys and a mix of fringe 5 stars and high level 4 stars like Mashack and JJJ. I doubt we ever have culture problems under Barnes.

There will always be high level guys that get here and realize they need 2-3 years or just enjoy the college experience. Let them make some side money with local commercials and profiting from their local "fame" and they might not feel the need to be one and done unless they are surefire top 10 picks.

I think mid-twenties by season's end. I have very high hopes for JS.
I'm Springer's biggest fan and think he ends up going one and done, maybe even slipping in to a late lottery pick. But averaging in the mid20s ? Nah, won't get enough minutes to do that, but if Springer was to average over 30 minutes, then maybe. I just don't see that happening, with all the depth UT has at his position(s). Although, he seems to be a better 3 point shooter than I expected, he doesn't seem to shoot a lot of 'em and also, seems to be too unselfish to score that many points with 20-25 minutes, imo.

Reactions: IndianapolisVol
I'm Springer's biggest fan and think he ends up going one and done, maybe even slipping in to a late lottery pick. But averaging in the mid20s ? Nah, won't get enough minutes to do that, but if Springer was to average over 30 minutes, then maybe. I just don't see that happening, with all the depth UT has at his position(s). Although, he seems to be a better 3 point shooter than I expected, he doesn't seem to shoot a lot of 'em and also, seems to be too unselfish to score that many points with 20-25 minutes, imo.
Yes, that mid-twenties was wrong on my part. I was referring to minutes, not points. I read a couple of posts incorrectly. My bad.

Reactions: The Dog
Surprised not to see anyone mention that Springer's injury is day to day and he could be ready against ARK. Great news! I would keep him out and give him the extra time to heal unless we just absolutely need him on the 6th.

Sounds like he will definitely be good to go for the following game.

Tennessee bounced back and won a tough one Wednesday night against Arkansas. Rick Barnes made his first starting line-up change of the season, going with Keon Johnson over Victor Bailey Jr. Look for that to continue. Staying on that front based on Barnes’ comments it sounds like Jaden Springer may soon join his classmate in the starting line-up.

Barnes hinted on Wednesday after the Arkansas game that if not for the sprained ankle against Alabama that caused him to miss a practice on Monday that he may have started Springer.

The head coach added that he was making personnel decisions based on defense. Viewed through that lens, it’s not surprising that he’d favor Johnson and Springer over Santiago Vescovi and Victor Bailey Jr.

Bailey tied for the team lead with 17 points against Arkansas but Barnes pulled him with 1:01 left and pointedly told him that he couldn’t finish if he couldn’t play defense.

Barnes also freely admitted that he’s not sure what his rotations need to look like at this stage. That certainly looked to be the case against the Hogs. Olivier Nkamhoua has been getting steady playing time of late didn’t get into the game. E.J. Anosike has been a regular part of the rotation, but played four minutes in the first half on Wednesday but didn’t get off the bench in the second half.
-VQ

Sure didn’t expect CRB to shorten the roster at this point in the season. I expected more pressure on D, potentially stretching it consistently to full court with a steady stream of substitutions.

Couple of my thoughts on that game, stayed away because this place got delusional real quick..

1. Really bad formula, no excuses, just saying a lot of things bad occurred in that game...Bama plays that 5 out and their 5 is quicker than Fulky, this was a problem, they routinely matched Jones in ISO against Fulk and took advantage more than we did on the other end. Normally in this scenario we’d go Pons at the 5, however he obviously was in foul trouble until late, at that point you saw how dominant he was that last 10 minutes and how much better our defense was, unfortunately the offense didn’t get better. Also, going small would be best not only with Pons out there but also Springer, obviously he was out with an injury, so now you’re down 2 of the better guys you’d want out there in that matchup.

2. If that wasn’t bad enough, Alabama then proceeds to shoot 20% over their season average from 3...for those of you who follow advanced metrics you know this is something that happens once or twice a year at least, a team gets hot “lucky” and makes more shots than they normally do. The silver lining is that this game occurred in January and not March, hopefully we don’t see that happen too much more.

3. On a similar note, a website called shot quality which is a legitimate trusted source by NBA and college teams maps outs shot quality etc...after this game their model showed that if both teams hit their average percentage based on shot quality that Tennessee wins the game by 8 points. Essentially, Bama shot better than expected from 3 and Tennessee shot worse than expected from all over the court.

4. Give Bama some credit, it’s not a style that is going to win you a ton of games consistently imo, but it’s a style that will win you some games you probably shouldn’t on paper. I’m betting they’ll finish around Top 5 in the league but have some WTF losses too, but again, credit to them as they hit the shots they needed to. Side note: I’m ready for John Petty to be gone.

5. I would have been curious to see Springer healthy, would he have gotten PG minutes and if so how would he have fared? Vescovi struggled (as he does against quick guards) but Keon was even worse, would Springer have been better or struggled too? My hunch is he wouldn’t have been great either, it’s games like that I really miss a Jordan Bone and can’t wait for Kennedy Chandler, we have either of those guys on roster and we win that game IMO.

6. Big picture, if Springer is fine and Tennessee learns some things from this game it’s not a big deal at all, they weren’t ever going to go 25-0. However if they don’t learn anything from this game and just stay status quo they will drop a couple more games along the way they probably shouldn’t.
Instead of burying this in the regular posters thread you should start a thread and just block the obvious drive-bys if they bother you.

Are you a subscriber to shot quality? I’m curious where the probabilities come from. Like the offensive rebounding number. Positioning is critical and how are the evaluating it and assigning a probability

VN Store

Back