The Official “Regular Posters of the Basketball Forum” Thread

agreed on JJJ

I actually think Bailey takes a lot of shots too early in the shot clock. Now I’ll agree before this last game he’s made a bunch of them but he isn’t taking many shots due to having to to beat the shot clock
I was referring to Bama game, I thought he and Vescovi both forced some shots, but nobody else was taking them so someone had to.

Like I said, 7 game sample size he was 37%, you are pretty happy with that...1 game dragged him down to 31%, if that continues to be the case and he’s a 31% shooter then yes he needs to tone it down.

Reactions: gainesvol82
It may be both, but you see him losing track of the ball just dribbling it up the court at normal-slow speeds, too. And he almost always dribbles away from his body.

To be fair, how often did Bowden (a senior) do that? And Bone was bad for it early in his career, with Keon's speed and the level he faced in HS he probably rarely had to deal with defenders that could stay in front of him to give real on ball pressure.

Bama identified a great PG though, that kid may be one of the fastest we face. And he sat last season so he had all the practice to get comfortable in Oats' system.

Reactions: cardvolfan
What's crazy is last year we played them in February and Pons stayed on Petty most the game. Petty was 37.5% from field and 25% from 3 with just 8 points.

He's had 2 great games against us, and in both cases it was just a hot shooting night from 3 that seemed to be the catalyst for it. (all 3 games he scored big on us he was 60% or better from 3)

View attachment 336056
He loves the rims at TBA.

Vols update health of freshman guard Jaden Springer

Springer seems to have an ankle sprain and is day to day. Barnes also specifically said this game (against Bama) "Jaden would've thrived in a game like this.”
Hopefully they play this with extreme caution. I would rather Jaden sit 2 weeks than come back and reinjure. We don't need lingering issues at all going into the late season.

I think mid-twenties by season's end. I have very high hopes for JS.
Like... he's gonna have a single game where he scores in the mid 20s? He would have to average well over 30 points the rest of the year to finish the season averaging mid 20s lol

I don't know that we'll ever have anyone get to Pons level again. Ya can't teach that kind of explosiveness, I think his background in dance makes him a unique leaper. But I do know even right now Gaines is a better on ball perimeter defender than Fulkerson, ORN, or EJ and he's as tall as EJ/ORN.

Gaines is however about to turn 21, so I'm not sure he's going to pull a Tatum for us and shoot up another 2". But if he can find a way to get 200-210lbs on that frame, considering he's still got another 3 years of eligibility without having to burn a RS...I don't know that he'll ever get a shot in the league but as a project player he could be developed into a very good college player under Barnes.

I agree that he could turn into a solid contributor in a year or two. I think it will be a struggle for him to put on much weight. I also don't think he is ORN's height but he does have long arms. Developing a jumper that he can hit 40% will be key to him contributing.

I've been pleased at ORN's progress. He is becoming more aggressive and I think he takes a big leap next year. Disappointed with EJ so far but maybe he gets better.

I agree that we probably never see another defender like Pons.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
@bleedingTNorange this place wasn’t that bad after the loss. Seemed reasonable to me.

I know you love Bailey but I wanted your thoughts to this. You may have missed it in the other thread

Not BTO but I think Bailey is shooting so much because he is naturally aggressive with a scorer's mentality. He also works hard to get open.
Most importantly is that JJJ isn't being aggressive enough and they are on the floor together a lot. JJJ could learn something from Bailey about hunting his shot.....I don't think Bailey is playing selfish though. He is getting good looks.

Reactions: BruinVol
I agree that he could turn into a solid contributor in a year or two. I think it will be a struggle for him to put on much weight. I also don't think he is ORN's height but he does have long arms. Developing a jumper that he can hit 40% will be key to him contributing.

I've been pleased at ORN's progress. He is becoming more aggressive and I think he takes a big leap next year. Disappointed with EJ so far but maybe he gets better.

I agree that we probably never see another defender like Pons.

Yeah they list ORN 6'8" & Gaines at 6'7" but who knows how accurate listed heights are. What worries me is that we keep missing on true bigs, both in recruiting and in developing. At some point it's going to hurt us, and next season could be the season if we don't land BHH in the '21 class (after he reclassifies) or if we can't land one with a transfer which if they extend the one-time transfer rule to basketball we may have better odds at that. Fulkerson could return, but I just don't know if he will. He may not be a NBA guy but he's also in his 5th year, he may be ready to move on from grinding.

You said "high teens" though, and he's only gone over 13 once.

85 points in 149 minutes. At that rate he’s scoring in the high teens with about 30 mpg on the floor.

He’s (Springer) the most promising scorer that I’ve seen in a while. He’s multi-dimensional at getting the ball through the net.

85 points in 149 minutes. At that rate he’s scoring in the high teens with about 30 mpg on the floor.

He’s (Springer) the most promising scorer that I’ve seen in a while. He’s multi-dimensional at getting the ball through the net.

I'm not arguing his potential to do it, but I'm saying he hasn't done so yet (except the one TTU game). He's extremely efficient though, can shoot and drive as well as anyone on the court. More minutes will for sure lead to more points, the question is ultimately does or when will he get them?

Your take is reasonable but on this team I doubt he gets there

I also think he’s 3pt shooting has been a little of misleading. Obviously can keep up that high of success in that area. I see him ending up under 35% if he gets healthy and plays a bunch

It hasn't even been close, I don't think. Especially late and in blowouts, you see Keon running point with the 4 end of the bench guys out there with him.

I think Barnes is trying to force Keon to have a better handle through trial by fire to make him a better player. It's going to take him improving his dribbling for him to hit his ceiling. If he does and gets more consistent at 3's, he will be unstoppable.

I'm not arguing his potential to do it, but I'm saying he hasn't done so yet (except the one TTU game). He's extremely efficient though, can shoot and drive as well as anyone on the court. More minutes will for sure lead to more points, the question is ultimately does or when will he get them?

One-and-done lottery picks typically get more than 20-22 mpg. 25 mpg will likely be the minimum rather than the maximum once he’s back up to speed. If another scorer steps up then maybe not. But IMO he’s option #1 hands down.

Yeah they list ORN 6'8" & Gaines at 6'7" but who knows how accurate listed heights are. What worries me is that we keep missing on true bigs, both in recruiting and in developing. At some point it's going to hurt us, and next season could be the season if we don't land BHH in the '21 class (after he reclassifies) or if we can't land one with a transfer which if they extend the one-time transfer rule to basketball we may have better odds at that. Fulkerson could return, but I just don't know if he will. He may not be a NBA guy but he's also in his 5th year, he may be ready to move on from grinding.

I think Fulk loves UT and comes back next year....especially if we don't win the SEC or make a F4.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Think it's more because Barnes is already comfortable with Springer running PG and wants to get Keon reps since it's early in the season?

Or do ya think Keon's quickness/speed being what it is has Barnes wanting to develop him into a PG?
It seems like Barnes knows that developing Keon's guard skills are what is best for Keon.

If JJJ stays timid then I expect Springer to separate himself from the pack. He’s has the skills to produce at the rim, in the paint, and on the perimeter. Put the ball in his hands and he’ll do it at the FT line as well.

To be fair, how often did Bowden (a senior) do that? And Bone was bad for it early in his career, with Keon's speed and the level he faced in HS he probably rarely had to deal with defenders that could stay in front of him to give real on ball pressure.

Bama identified a great PG though, that kid may be one of the fastest we face. And he sat last season so he had all the practice to get comfortable in Oats' system.
No, it happens, certainly. And it is part of the learning curve. I just don't understand the desire to make Keon a PG when his current skill-set isn't that of a PG.

Bowden played it out of necessity. Bone was a PG. Keon is a wing, and while developing his PG skills will make him a better and more marketable pro, it is currently hurting our team and is better suited for offseason work and early season (non-conference) type games in a normal year. KJ doesn't need to be cutting his teeth at a new position against SEC competition. JMO.

Hot Take: I think one or both of the 5 star freshmen come back next year. Keon wont be a lottery pick if he doesn't progress significantly over the course of the season.

Springer won't be a lottery pick if he doesn't see significant minutes at PG. Lost time due to Covid may cause them both to stick around. That could cause Ticket, Pember or Uros to be encouraged to transfer to a mid major unless the NCAA ups scholarship limits for a year or two.

No, it happens, certainly. And it is part of the learning curve. I just don't understand the desire to make Keon a PG when his current skill-set isn't that of a PG.

Bowden played it out of necessity. Bone was a PG. Keon is a wing, and while developing his PG skills will make him a better and more marketable pro, it is currently hurting our team and is better suited for offseason work and early season (non-conference) type games in a normal year. KJ doesn't need to be cutting his teeth at a new position against SEC competition. JMO.

I don't have any issue with it if it's in the final 5 mins of a blowout.

Reactions: cncchris33
BHH recently stated that he will remain in the 2022 class. Not that he won't change his mind, but I think we need to move forward as if he won't be available in 21.

VN Store

Back