Official Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related (merged)

Forgive the masturbatory self-quote but I have to throw in a couple follow-up comments.

First, I said I may have mentioned the Vonnegut re-reads before, maybe even in this thread — I just noticed I actually have... on this same freakin page. I’m clearly losing my mind.

Second, @The Dog: weird, I just realized 3 of my last 4 posts are replies to you in separate threads. Should probably say for the record I swear I’m not stalking you. As far as you know.
Great minds think alike and all that

Just finished Bad Man by Dathan Auerbach. Not anywhere close to as good as his first book.

Starting A Congregation of Jackals by S. Craig Zahler.

Ulysses still staring at you?

Yep. I'm finishing the first draft of my second novel right now, I'm afraid to pick up Ulysses until I finish the draft as I am sure what I am reading influences my writing. I think it's on deck though.

Just finished Lifespan by David Sinclair. Great read.

Considering Atomic Habits next. Anyone read it?

Finally finished The Silmarillion. Tried in my early teens and just couldn’t get through it. It’s a great book for Lord of the Rings and fantasy fans. Tons of lore and really expands and explains the LotR universe.

Reactions: C/O
Just finished reading the Poppy War Trilogy. If you like fighting and some ancient Chinese lore, this may be right up your alley.
Going to start a re-read of what is out of Saga so far. If you like graphic novels, it should be required reading, as long as you can handle the language and some of the more crazy far out there scenes.

Reactions: Grey_pilgrim
Taking a break from Ulysses just read A Million Heavens now starting Charlie Kaufman's first novel Antkind.

Thoughts on either of those latter 2 books?
A million heavens was good great lean writing quick read I enjoyed it. Antkind is very good so far it's a gigantic book but you can definitely hear Kaufman's voice. It's actually very funny so far and weird of course.

@bignewt just ordered your book. Is there a separate fund at the animal hospital I can support? Happy to buy a pile of your books if that’s the best route, just let me know.

Young-Williams in Knoxville is where I am sending everything. You can make a donation in my wife's name, Amanda Newton, if you like, order some books, I appreciate it either way.

So, I had the goal of reading 52 books in 2020. I ended up making it to 32 books (I was in nursing school, so....that was probably not a realistic goal)

Some of the best that I read that I'd recommend:
1. "Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens. Very good book, one of the best of 2019.
2. "The Diabetes Code" by Dr. Jason Fung
3. "The Obesity Code" by Dr. Jason Fung (I lost 40 lbs in about 3 months by following the advice in these two books.)
4. "Love Does" by Bob Goff (Anything by Bob Goff is an outstanding read)
5. "Creating Magic" by Lee Cockerell
6. "The Exodus You Almost Passed Over" by Rabbi David Fohrman (I'm a former pastor, and love Christian books. This was absolutely mindblowing.)

Obviously, I'm a non-fiction reader for the most part. I think of the 32 books I read, only 2 were fictional. I need to read more fiction.

Reactions: DocVOLiday
So, I had the goal of reading 52 books in 2020. I ended up making it to 32 books (I was in nursing school, so....that was probably not a realistic goal)

Some of the best that I read that I'd recommend:
1. "Where the Crawdads Sing" by Delia Owens. Very good book, one of the best of 2019.
2. "The Diabetes Code" by Dr. Jason Fung
3. "The Obesity Code" by Dr. Jason Fung (I lost 40 lbs in about 3 months by following the advice in these two books.)
4. "Love Does" by Bob Goff (Anything by Bob Goff is an outstanding read)
5. "Creating Magic" by Lee Cockerell
6. "The Exodus You Almost Passed Over" by Rabbi David Fohrman (I'm a former pastor, and love Christian books. This was absolutely mindblowing.)

Obviously, I'm a non-fiction reader for the most part. I think of the 32 books I read, only 2 were fictional. I need to read more fiction.

I got a couple for you...;)

Reactions: TNHopeful505
Big fan of the Wheel of Time Series by Robert Jordan. reading for the second time, found out I am missing a book. the 11th, Knife of Dreams. been in three different bookstores looking for it and still haven't found it. best story I have ever read. Fantasy kinda in the same vein as LoTR, more "magic" but everything is more explained/grounded. if you need a time sink I highly suggest it.

my dad and a friend have recently gotten me into the Lost Fleet books by Jack Cambell IIRC. enjoy them. Sci Fi.

This.

Wheel of time series by Jordan are the best books i have ever read. Great author.

Just finished the Koli Trilogy by M.R. Carey. A fun, fast paced post-apocalyptic sci fi series. Great series if you like sci fi.

Finished Project Hail Mary by Weir today. Another strong release by the guy sho wrote The Martian. His books are always fun.

Rereading the Hyperion series as well as The Moon is a Harsh Mistress. May decide to finish up the N.K. Jesimin Broken Earth series, nearly done with book 2.

Oh and Ready Player Two was worthwhile I recommend it if you liked the first.

Reactions: ButchPlz
Reading
Shadow Country
Novel by Peter Matthiessen

It's a massive book as it basically three books. The first and third are great, the second I wish I would have skipped.

Reactions: ButchPlz
I'm finishing up The Red Badge of Courage today, really enjoyed it. Last week I finished Jordan Peterson's new book Beyond Order: 12 More Rules for Life, which I found much more powerful than the first. Maybe it's because of the state he was in while writing it, but it definitely hit a lot different.

Finished book 4 of the Red Rising series by Pierce Brown. It's like Hunger Games...in space...but better. I believe the finale will be released next year.

N.K. Jesimin Broken Earth trilogy was solid, the final book was satisfying. One of the best modern trilogies you'll find.

Read Steve Martin's autobiography Born Standing Up. Great quick read.

Reading The Sportswriter by Richard Ford

VN Store

Back