Official Book Thread - What You're Reading & Everything Book Related (merged)

Finished book 4 of the Red Rising series by Pierce Brown. It's like Hunger Games...in space...but better. I believe the finale will be released next year.
Great series. I have read the original trilogy a few times.

I am on book 4 now of Michael Scott's "The Secrets of the Immortal Nicolas Flamel" Two months ago I had never heard of the series. It is really good!!

I read from the Bible every day. Just started an Old Testament reading plan a couple of weeks ago. Three chapters a day will get you through it in a year. It starts with a chapter in Genesis, Psalms, and Joshua. Doing the New Testament the same way only takes 90 days.

I'm also currently working on the Harry Potter series. Somehow I missed that one as a kid. Saw the movies a few years ago, and during COVID quarantine got the wife into them too. Just started "Order of the Phoenix."

I also find myself reading Rick Bragg here lately. I'm a big fan of "Where I Come From" and "My Southern Journey", as well as his column in Southern Living. He's like Lewis Grizzard, but more serious. Big fan of both, for sure.

Read Steve Martin's autobiography Born Standing Up. Great quick read.

Reading The Sportswriter by Richard Ford
Loved those Frank Bascombe books. He’s one of those literary characters that live in your mind as a real person, I guess both because of how well they’re written and because you’ve spent so much time with them over multiple books. Updike’s Rabbit Angstrom is similar in that regard.

Reactions: bignewt
Have been reading some classics over past several years since retirement. Presently reading Ayn Rand's Fountainhead and hope to follow up with Atlas Shrugged. Hoping, because I am old and they both are pretty long reads.

Reactions: Go aeiou
Not as good as the Martian but still a good book. Left the ending open for a 2nd book.

Never read the Martian or Project Hail Mary, but I read Artemis a month or so ago which is also by Andy Weir. It had its flaws, but I still found it enjoyable.

Been wanting to read the Dark Tower series for a while now, so I finally started The Gunslinger about a week ago. Almost done and am definitely looking forward to book two.

Reactions: bignewt
Been wanting to read the Dark Tower series for a while now, so I finally started The Gunslinger about a week ago. Almost done and am definitely looking forward to book two.
Was a good series, I started them as they came out and it took many years to read them all. Now that they are all available should be quite a bit quicker.

Reactions: BisonVol
On the back third of "Out of Captivity: Surviving 1,967 Days in the Colombian Jungle". It is a firsthand account of three US citizens and their kidnapping by the FARC back in the early 2000s...a very interesting read for sure.

Seeing some familiar names of places that my wife (who is from Colombia) and I have traveled through down there was...an "interesting" feeling, especially with how the reactivation of some of the FARC columns in those areas was playing out during the time of our travels.

I've been consuming The Gray Man by Mark Greaney. Very good series(10 books to date). Netflix is going to release the Gray Man movie spring/summer of 2022. Stars are Ryan Gosling and Chris Evans. Very enjoyable.

Last edited:
Reactions: tbh
I’m returning to a detective series I read years ago.
At random I picked this one off the shelf. I figure it’s been 20 years so it will almost be like reading a new book image.jpgwhat is everyone else into?

VN Store

Back