Basilio off air?

The content Basilio puts on his site is amazing. His book interviews with authors, on every topic from Connie Mack to Merle Haggard, are insightful and worth anyone's time.

He will not bow to Big Orange Mordor. That catches him some heat. But he's always been generous to people like Jayson Swain, whose show is also a go-to for me, with assistance and advice.

One thing he does that Hill-run Radio does not do: when he gets it wrong, he owns it. He's never stopped apologizing for being wrong on Rick Barnes.

The call-in shows after the games have been a source of healing for me after all the damage these clowns at UTAD and the boosters have done to this football program over the years. You know you are not alone in your frustration and that is a good thing. Sometimes you even laugh a bit.

I'm a fan of his work and hope he is able to continue providing the strong content for this fanbase for a long time to come.
well stated

I remember TB actually taking questions from VN during a segment of his show.

Are you the guy that told Brian to STFU last Saturday by chance ? IIRC the guy said he was also in the media .
I never laughed so hard in my life than when I heard that caller tell Brian to STFU. I felt bad for Brian, as you could tell he was kind of stunned by being told that. And then Tony piles on by telling the caller "hey I've been wanting to tell Brian that for weeks!" Hahaha!!

Seems weird promoting him on this site. He so popular do it on his site not Freaks. Just another guy with another opinion.

What's the difference in discussing a question that was asked about someone who has as much content as TB as far as it pertains to UT sports and other posts discussing other radio personalities in the area like Swain, Hyams, Ainge, etc?

The OP was an honest question about why the website was down.

Reactions: Hurley Mooncalf
Hell, I’ve come to enjoy his post football game show more than the stinking game.
THIS. It's must-listen radio.

Never understood the hate for basilio. Like others have mentioned he goes against the grain and isn't state-run radio.

Sure he can be grating at times, but overall pretty entertaining with a passion for UT sports.

Never was fan of the "Clone" though. I've never cracked a smile at any of his bits, but that's just me.

I love basilio. I can't stand yes men and there isn't a bone in his body that bows to anyone. I don't listen to him daily however I tune in on a weekly basis for tidbits of info. In my experience he has been pretty good about stating whether his info is purely opinion or based in fact or sources, etc. I don't think he gets enough credit for how much work he puts into his craft.

Like others on this thread I enjoy Swain Event and tune in regularly. My biggest guilty pleasure is 3&out. Those guys are charming and likeable and keep me laughing but typically don't have a lot of solid non-opinion info and I really only listen when there's something going on, as in right now 🤣

If he had real inside info, into what is really going on then things would be okay. Pretending you are an insider to appease the masses and getting our hopes up is not cool.

Please show that Tony has no inside info because I don't believe Hyams or another one else on that station has any "insider" news either. All they do is repeat what the university gives them.

I quit Basilio even before he dogged CRB for coming here to take the money and "ride his rocking chair into retirement." I heard he finally warmed up to Barnes - big whoop. Coach has more character in his little finger than that loudmouth nobody.

I quit Basilio even before he dogged CRB for coming here to take the money and "ride his rocking chair into retirement." I heard he finally warmed up to Barnes - big whoop. Coach has more character in his little finger than that loudmouth nobody.

Not only has he "warmed up" to Barnes, he has eaten crow on his own show, he owns the error of that opinion, and mentions it often in describing how he and anyone can flat out get it wrong.

Not sure what else you want out of the guy.

How exactly can you judge someone’s character by their opinion of a coaching hire?

How exactly can you judge someone’s character by their opinion of a coaching hire?

It was the hire, plus Barnes first 2-3 years.

I know what Barnes means to the program, but what he does off the court and in the community is pretty special (I've run across Coach a few times in our mutual affinity for the Emerald Youth Foundation). If Basilio is more than a grating voice on the radio, then I'm open to hearing about it. Feel free to clue me in.

Tony openly admits how wrong he was about CRB lack of recruiting. In his defense CRB didn’t do much recruiting until our team got better and showed out. When our team showed out kids wanted to come here. Same thing would happen in football, if we start competing and build something kids will want to be here.

Reactions: MikeInFla
Not only has he "warmed up" to Barnes, he has eaten crow on his own show, he owns the error of that opinion, and mentions it often in describing how he and anyone can flat out get it wrong.

Not sure what else you want out of the guy.

In the beginning, the ONLY negative thing I ever really heard Tony say about Barnes was that he didn't think Barnes was recruiting at a very high level his first couple of years here and that Rick didn't seem to put the same effort in recruiting that the other high profile coaches were. At the time it seemed like a very reasonable assumption to be honest with you. A lot of us thought Barnes was simply coming here to stabilize the program and cruise to retirement and, honestly, I kind of believe that was HIS thinking until he got here and realized just how passionate this fanbase really is about basketball. Anyway, let's be honest, the recruiting really didn't kick it into high gear until Kim English got here. He's helped take our recruiting to another level. But of course, let's give credit where it's due. The on court success that Barnes has brought, along with improving the culture of our B-Ball program and developing our players is nothing short of amazing! Without that, the lakes we are fishing in now for recruits simply wouldn't be possible. Tony has owned up to and confessed that he was flat out wrong about Barnes time and time again in all kinds of self-deprecating ways. Like you said, what else can the man say or do? He was wrong and he points it out every chance he gets.

In the beginning, the ONLY negative thing I ever really heard Tony say about Barnes was that he didn't think Barnes was recruiting at a very high level his first couple of years here and that Rick didn't seem to put the same effort in recruiting that the other high profile coaches were. At the time it seemed like a very reasonable assumption to be honest with you. A lot of us thought Barnes was simply coming here to stabilize the program and cruise to retirement and, honestly, I kind of believe that was HIS thinking until he got here and realized just how passionate this fanbase really is about basketball. Anyway, let's be honest, the recruiting really didn't kick it into high gear until Kim English got here. He's helped take our recruiting to another level. But of course, let's give credit where it's due. The on court success that Barnes has brought, along with improving the culture of our B-Ball program and developing our players is nothing short of amazing! Without that, the lakes we are fishing in now for recruits simply wouldn't be possible. Tony has owned up to and confessed that he was flat out wrong about Barnes time and time again in all kinds of self-deprecating ways. Like you said, what else can the man say or do? He was wrong and he points it out every chance he gets.
Some of these pablum eating sheep can’t appreciate what TB brings. The guy has built a substantial base without any major corporate backing. As such, he answers to no one but his listeners.

schmuck thing to say. He’s been doing it for 30 years, so are we supposed to be impressed with your “before Barnes” reference. Keep drinking from the sheep trough.

It was the hire, plus Barnes first 2-3 years.

I know what Barnes means to the program, but what he does off the court and in the community is pretty special (I've run across Coach a few times in our mutual affinity for the Emerald Youth Foundation). If Basilio is more than a grating voice on the radio, then I'm open to hearing about it. Feel free to clue me in.
Tony has done an enormous amount of good for this community. If you think Basilio is lacking in character you need to do your research on the organizations and kids he’s helped and the lives he’s changed. Seriously, he’s a top notch human being and the best radio talent in our area.

Tony has done an enormous amount of good for this community. If you think Basilio is lacking in character you need to do your research on the organizations and kids he’s helped and the lives he’s changed. Seriously, he’s a top notch human being and the best radio talent in our area.
It’s hard to sell your own ads for a living if you don’t do things the right way. He’s not a journalist that shows up for a 2 hour talk show. He’s a member of the community and his followers can attest to it.

True story , TB organized an event last year where local kids with incarcerated parents got to attend a game , pre-game tailgate and take in all the sites and sounds that many of us , myself included take for granted. Bringing joy to the lives of kids who are scared, lonely and probably of the opinion that no one gives a damn about them. I don’t recall the game now but I donated 4 tickets and there were many listeners who donated many more tickets and other financial support than I. Not sure if he was able to do it this year due to the restrictions but IIRC he has been doing this for years.

True story , TB organized an event last year where local kids with incarcerated parents got to attend a game , pre-game tailgate and take in all the sites and sounds that many of us , myself included take for granted. Bringing joy to the lives of kids who are scared, lonely and probably of the opinion that no one gives a damn about them. I don’t recall the game now but I donated 4 tickets and there were many listeners who donated many more tickets and other financial support than I. Not sure if he was able to do it this year due to the restrictions but IIRC he has been doing this for years.
He does that event each year, and has reps from the organization on his show to promote the cause. And he relentlessly canvasses his contacts for tickets, to give these underprivileged youngsters an event to remember.

The testimonials on Basilio's character sound good so I retract the "loudmouth nobody". The defense of his treatment of Barnes otoh - "TB only questioned his recruiting skill" - that's revisionist bs. He dogged CRB for two solid years and into year 3 on all sorts of things (you did too, Beano). CRB's age and desire, player defections, tourney records etc. All kinds of "Barnes is washed up" callers that Tony seemed to side with - I bet that rings a bell with some of you. heh

VN Store

Back