The ‘So Crazy It Just Might Work’ thread

My latest idea:

We’ve all noticed that some of our post players need to work on becoming more aggressive on offense. Well, the other day it occurred to me that, much like how some softball/baseball players are so hyper aware of the possibility of getting hit in the face with a ball that sometimes it causes errors, what if our longer players are maybe a little afraid of getting slapped or poked in the eye?

That may sound silly, but I assure you it’s not fun for tall basketball players to go against smaller players who feel like they have to be super aggressive and handsy to make up for the height difference.

That said, I think it would be worth a try for Jon Harper to have our post players wear protective eye gear for a few practices and see if that gives them more confidence and focus to win more battles under the basket. If they could just keep their eyes open the entire time instead of having to worry about getting poked in the eyes by shorter players, that might help them. If I were coaching our posts that’s what I’d do.

Just a thought.

Reactions: krichunaka
My latest idea:

We’ve all noticed that some of our post players need to work on becoming more aggressive on offense. Well, the other day it occurred to me that, much like how some softball/baseball players are so hyper aware of the possibility of getting hit in the face with a ball that sometimes it causes errors, what if our longer players are maybe a little afraid of getting slapped or poked in the eye?

That may sound silly, but I assure you it’s not fun for tall basketball players to go against smaller players who feel like they have to be super aggressive and handsy to make up for the height difference.

That said, I think it would be worth a try for Jon Harper to have our post players wear protective eye gear for a few practices and see if that gives them more confidence and focus to win more battles under the basket. If they could just keep their eyes open the entire time instead of having to worry about getting poked in the eyes by shorter players, that might help them. If I were coaching our posts that’s what I’d do.

Just a thought.

Not good enough. How about this??

1200px-WLA_cma_Suit_of_armor_c_1530_steel.jpg

Dawn Staley was a great player. On the other hand Geno does not look like he could walk and chew gum.
Look at most of the greatest coaches for men and women most look like they never played past JV on their MS teams.

My latest idea:

Who wore it best Kareem or Kurt?

497212.jpg.29576.0_original.jpg
articleInline.jpg

Reactions: LadyVols_WBK
Moving one starter to a very different position may solve the issues at that position but to make that move one must decide how it changes the balance of the whole team. Is it worthwhile to move one player to diminish the team. Here is a method I have used. On a scale of 1 to 10: your current post is a 4 but your wing could be a 6 post is a 9 at the wing. If I pull my current post and move the wing, I have to replace the wing with another wing who is better than a 4 (the original post score) a 7 to possibly improve the team. A perfect team has a score of 50. The theory is to use players that get you as close to 50 as you can even if it means playing some players out of their best position.

EDIT: upon reread, I misstated the math

Last edited:
Moving one starter to a very different position may solve the issues at that position but to make that move one must decide how it changes the balance of the whole team. Is it worthwhile to move one player to diminish the team. Here is a method I have used. On a scale of 1 to 10: your current post is a 4 but your wing could be a 6 post is a 9 at the wing. If I pull my current post and move the wing, I have to replace the wing with another wing who is better than a 4 (the original post score) to possibly improve the team. A perfect team has a score of 50. The theory is to use players that get you as close to 50 as you can even if it means playing some players out of their best position.

I think a lineup of Walker, Burrell, Horston, Davis, and Key gets you closest to 50. No real gaps there that can be improved by a different combination. Key has her flaws, but no one on the bench is a better alternative. Same with Walker. And Davis would be a better 4 than anyone on the bench even if it's not her natural position. She can still be productive, and Burrell/Horston as well at the 2/3.

Look at most of the greatest coaches for men and women most look like they never played past JV on their MS teams.

True for the male coaches, but tell that to CPS, Staley, Mulkey, and Muffett. Along with Tara VanDerveer, who played so long ago that I couldn't even dig up records from that time, they are arguably the greatest female coaches since the NCAA took over women's basketball.

True for the male coaches, but tell that to CPS, Staley, Mulkey, and Muffett. Along with Tara VanDerveer, who played so long ago that I couldn't even dig up records from that time, they are arguably the greatest female coaches since the NCAA took over women's basketball.
You proved my point most these ladies played so long ago it was probably the 6 on 6 half court and the best shot was a granny shot!

Even the Lakers used to post up Magic Johnson every now and then for a few plays,. nothing wrong with it a few times per game.

Even the Lakers used to post up Magic Johnson every now and then for a few plays,. nothing wrong with it a few times per game.

Great way to get a few buckets. Was saying this the other night. Burrell, Horston and Davis all have the finishing ability to post up smaller defenders. Would love to see us run some iso plays for them on the block. Bit tough when teams play zone on us the entire game but we’ve seen a fair bit of man this season.

Great way to get a few buckets. Was saying this the other night. Burrell, Horston and Davis all have the finishing ability to post up smaller defenders. Would love to see us run some iso plays for them on the block. Bit tough when teams play zone on us the entire game but we’ve seen a fair bit of man this season.

As the season goes on, I hope the staff does make time to put in at least a couple of those plays. If I were a coach I’d have at least three totally surprising plays designed to run ONLY in postseason and ONLY in an end-game situation where my team desperately needs two points to tie or win. They would be plays we practiced for a few minutes every day so that they become instinctual, but never used in a game until that emergency situation to keep it from being scouted/anticipated/planned for. My “emergency surprise plays” would most definitely involve using some combinations of guards and wings in the post.

And crazy as this might sound, I’d have at least one of my posts trained and practicing shooting threes every single day. When it's time to pull out an emergency play that uses wings or guards in the post, and when that play leaves the post player WIDE OPEN from the top of the key (as no opposing coach at the end of the game is going face-guard a post that nobody has ever seen take a three-point shot), she’ll be available and ready to fire away from downtown if it becomes the only option in the end. Sure, she is more likely than not to miss — even Steph Curry misses more often than he hits threes — but her chances of making it will be greatly increased if she practices it every single day.

Speaking of posts and practicing threes, if I were Jon I think I’d actually have ALL of my posts spending at least 5 or 10 minutes a day shooting outside shots. Not because they’ll be shooting a lot of those in games, but because, IMO, EVERY player needs something outside their normal routines to do to help keep things fun and interesting.

Reactions: VolBall09
My latest idea:

Just a thought.
Great idea! I can tell you that there are shorter players who will poke you in the eyes and it isn’t an accident sometimes.

As the season goes on, I hope the staff does make time to put in at least a couple of those plays. If I were a coach I’d have at least three totally surprising plays designed to run ONLY in postseason and ONLY in an end-game situation where my team desperately needs two points to tie or win. They would be plays we practiced for a few minutes every day so that they become instinctual, but never used in a game until that emergency situation to keep it from being scouted/anticipated/planned for. My “emergency surprise plays” would most definitely involve using some combinations of guards and wings in the post.

And crazy as this might sound, I’d have at least one of my posts trained and practicing shooting threes every single day. When it's time to pull out an emergency play that uses wings or guards in the post, and when that play leaves the post player WIDE OPEN from the top of the key (as no opposing coach at the end of the game is going face-guard a post that nobody has ever seen take a three-point shot), she’ll be available and ready to fire away from downtown if it becomes the only option in the end. Sure, she is more likely than not to miss — even Steph Curry misses more often than he hits threes — but her chances of making it will be greatly increased if she practices it every single day.

Speaking of posts and practicing threes, if I were Jon I think I’d actually have ALL of my posts spending at least 5 or 10 minutes a day shooting outside shots. Not because they’ll be shooting a lot of those in games, but because, IMO, EVERY player needs something outside their normal routines to do to help keep things fun and interesting.

I'd let Jaiden handle all our post-shooting-from-outside needs and try to get our other posts to finish around the basket. First things first.

I hope they have them shooting as well. Really think we’re going to see the post game evolve with recruiting. Looks like Coach is after versatile girls that can shoot the rock. Tamari, Kk and Emily were never recruited to shoot from deep but it sure would be nice if at least one of them could knock down the occasional outside shot to keep the D honest.

Reactions: lvocd

From what I've seen, the high post is open for the quick shot a lot of the time. All three of those players can exploit that. During warm-ups, the posts shoot quite a bit from 15 feet and make most of them.

VN Store

Back