The reason we should hold off on coaching change

IMO, Covid NEEDS to be a factor in this decision. As in, fast tracking the firing process, not delaying it another year.

Dollars and cents aside, I have been a rabid Vol fan my entire life, as I assume most of you are as well. We're here, right?

Anyway, I am going to sleep on the program. Me, Mr.Vol, the guy always in orange and white, house flags, decals, license plates, everything Volunteer! Not so much anymore. I am fading away, gents. I can't be the only one. I'm sure this weird Covid year is part of it, but I feel like this program will need an excitement injection to get off the ground with everyone going forward. I'm talking the long game here. The program is dying. It needs a shot of life.....NOW.

Reactions: CSVol and 'Boro-vol
Don't disagree with your overall comments

I think the point remains, School A (Memphis) finally decided to make football a priority with a donor base and administration aligned. They set out a gameplan and executed it and if something wasn't working out, they didn't wait 5 years to hope that it got fixed on its own. They went offensive minded coach after offensive minded coach. We go from old school (Fulmer) to young and brash (Kiffin) back to the polar opposite (Dooley) then soft and and finesse (Butch) and now back to old school physical (Pruitt). We have no identity.
I would agree EXCEPT Memphis got really fortunate when they were able to get Justin F. And about that same time they also got a windfall of P5 transfers as well which all played into the overall success. Granted, once Justin showed them what they could be (actually its criminal with the talent level in their own back yard that their program has been totally bankrupt the way it has until lately) and got a few undersized athletes that the SEC didnt want to run a wide open offense THEN the admin got on board. Then a couple of really good QB transfer landed in their pocket and playing in a conference that couldn't spell defense all added up to "success". So I think we agree but for different reasons. And what a shame that a city the size of Memphis wont support them more. Obviously Memphis is more SEC country than anything else what with Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss St., Alabama, Auburn, etc just an hour or two drive away. Not to mention Tennessee.

Reactions: BigOrangeMojo
Saban and company are undoubtedly desirous that CPF take his talents to the NFL, for they know that they cannot endure his steely glaze from across the field of battle?? Indeed, they undoubtedly quiver in fear at the thought of Vol nation riding high, with CPF at the head of Tennessee's program. Let us hope that those in authority make the wise decision regarding CPF!!

Glaze???

The only glaze Phil possesses is on his Krispy Kremes.

The Vols absolutely cannot from a financial standpoint afford a coaching change. The UT Athletic Department will be almost $40 million dollars short due to the virus effects. We are still paying Butch Jones and at present Coach Pruitt has a buy out package of some $13 million....folks it ain't going to happen with those financial numbers. In two more years Pruitt will have the players to compete and will have the program headed in the right direction. If you were a potential recruit would you choose the Vols with all the negative comments that appear here daily?
I don't understand why these people can't understand this. Not only would it be the dumbest thing UT could do, it is a financial impossibility to fire a coach now or for at least the next couple years. People are going to counter with the pipedeam that some big donor will provide the funds. It is more likely that Santa Claus will leave $20 million under the statue of General Neyland.

I would agree EXCEPT Memphis got really fortunate when they were able to get Justin F. And about that same time they also got a windfall of P5 transfers as well which all played into the overall success. Granted, once Justin showed them what they could be (actually its criminal with the talent level in their own back yard that their program has been totally bankrupt the way it has until lately) and got a few undersized athletes that the SEC didnt want to run a wide open offense THEN the admin got on board. Then a couple of really good QB transfer landed in their pocket and playing in a conference that couldn't spell defense all added up to "success". So I think we agree but for different reasons. And what a shame that a city the size of Memphis wont support them more. Obviously Memphis is more SEC country than anything else what with Arkansas, Ole Miss, Miss St., Alabama, Auburn, etc just an hour or two drive away. Not to mention Tennessee.

Would you pay to go watch minor league baseball with 2,000 other bums, when you could drive a couple hours further and see the St, Louis Cardinals in a packed house?

Unfortunate location for a G5 commuter school in the heart of SEC country.

While your assistance is much appreciated my dear fellow, please know that no mirth was intended from my post, other than the rapturous sentiment all loyal Vols will experience if the Lion of Knoxville is reinstated in the role he has so richly earned with a lifetime of hard work and unparalleled success. To succeed in the future, Tennessee must look to her past. And rising out of the mists, during this, the program's darkest hour, is that Colossus of Rocky Top, Phillip Fulmer.

Saban and company are undoubtedly desirous that CPF take his talents to the NFL, for they know that they cannot endure his steely glaze from across the field of battle?? Indeed, they undoubtedly quiver in fear at the thought of Vol nation riding high, with CPF at the head of Tennessee's program. Let us hope that those in authority make the wise decision regarding CPF!!

While I appreciate you brother and I understand where you are coming from, I just dont think Fulmer has the stamina, the knowledge of todays game, or realistically the "want to" to attempt another run. He's 70 years old and been out of coaching shape for 13/14 years unfortunately. I love CPF, I grew up in the 80's with Majors then Fulmer and attended UT during his hayday so I know how amazing he is, unfortunately I'm afraid that time has passed. I will go against most on here and say I think he is in the position he needs to be in at this moment, we all praised the Pruitt hire at the time, and even up until the Georgia game this year if you'll recall and hopefully Phil will make the right decision and pull the experimental plug soon and make an upgraded change. But I'll have to disagree with you that Phil needs a reprise.

While I appreciate you brother and I understand where you are coming from, I just dont think Fulmer has the stamina, the knowledge of todays game, or realistically the want to to attempt another run. He's 70 years old and been out of coaching shape for 13/14 years unfortunately. I love CPF, I grew up in the 80's with Majors then Fulmer and attended UT during his hayday so I know how amazing he is, unfortunately I'm afraid that time has passed. I will go against most on here and say I think he is in the position he needs to be in at this moment, we all praised the Pruitt hire at the time, and even up until the Georgia game this year if you'll recall and hopefully Phil will make the right decision and pull the experimental plug soon and make an upgraded change. But I'll have to disagree with you that Phil needs a reprise.
You're giving him what he wants, and far more than he expected.

Reactions: NATHAN05
I don't understand why these people can't understand this. Not only would it be the dumbest thing UT could do, it is a financial impossibility to fire a coach now or for at least the next couple years. People are going to counter with the pipedeam that some big donor will provide the funds. It is more likely that Santa Claus will leave $20 million under the statue of General Neyland.

It's irresponsible to keep a failure at head coach. Financial shortfalls can be made up quicker than rebuilding a football program.

Here is the deal. We need to give Coach JP 2 more years to show what he can do with his recruits and to show his coaching acumen with players that actually match up with the beasts of the SEC. We will see that in the next 2 years, as we have been getting not only good recruiting classes, but players that match the style that we want to play. Any coaching change now would be senseless and pointless.

The main reason we can wait 2 years is the following:
1. In 2 years, Steve Sarkisian will be ready to be a coach at any Power 5 school of his choosing. He proved this past weekend he can coach with Saban not able to coach. Alabama's offense is humming like never before. Steve Sarkisian is the real deal

2. Hugh Freeze has already said he is not interested in the South Carolina job and for sure would not go to Vanderbilt. That means in 2 years, Hugh Freeze will still be available as a candidate.

If CJP doesn't work out the next 2 years, we should bring the Brinks truck and offer whatever either Sarkisian or Freeze ask for. Let's hope it doesn't come to that and we are giving a substantial extension to C

No we shouldn’t wait but yes we will.

It’s idiotic to waste two years under this staff but I honestly believe that’s exactly what the admin is going to do. We’ll hire another no name jobber after and start this cycle over again.

It's irresponsible to keep a failure at head coach. Financial shortfalls can be made up quicker than rebuilding a football program.

Nah bro.

Pruitt needs more time to beat Kentucky and Arkansas remember?

They can and will find the money..... for the right coach.

Magically in 2 more years Pruitt won’t be too stubborn to make player changes when things aren’t working.

Staff turnover is terrible
Coaching decisions are terrible
Blowouts are plentiful
The stubbornness is terrible
The excuses are terrible
Motivation “seems” terrible
Player development is terrible

Not sure Pruitt is going to turn into a completely different coach/person in 2 years.

If Tennessee were competitive, if Pruitt took ownership while trying anything and everything to win (not being stubborn), if players were developing nicely......maybe everyone could accept losses with hope of progress.

There simply isn’t the progress.

Pruitt.......much like JG, is what he is..........and that “is” not good.

We knew all we needed to know after the first 2 games last season. It doesn't take long to determine if a guy can get the job done.

Pruitt has a losing record. Even with a winning streak and beating teams which weren’t good, he is still 2 games under .500.

Pruitt certainly is NOT getting it done.

I think ya'll are over looking a obvious solution, Just get rid of the coach and the AD replace them Volnation. All decisions could be made by fan polls. I mean there is no greater source of football knowledge and wisdom and besides the fans are never wrong.

Look, I know y'all are disagreeing with the OP about giving JP two more years, but let's look at this objectively for a moment:

There is literally no way on God's green Earth that Jeremy Pruitt deserves to be the head coach at Tennessee for even one more second. He should've been fired while I was typing this. If I type the next sentence and he's still not fired, it's too late. There, it happened again. Is he fired yet?

The Vols absolutely cannot from a financial standpoint afford a coaching change. The UT Athletic Department will be almost $40 million dollars short due to the virus effects. We are still paying Butch Jones and at present Coach Pruitt has a buy out package of some $13 million....folks it ain't going to happen with those financial numbers. In two more years Pruitt will have the players to compete and will have the program headed in the right direction. If you were a potential recruit would you choose the Vols with all the negative comments that appear here daily?

I do agree with what you are saying but I sure hope and prey that the players we recruit never stoop to the point of ever reading or believing what is on these message boards. These boards are full of want to be or never have been that think they know more about coaching and playing then the full coaching staffs and players of all the current P5 programs together. So if the players have any sense at all they will stay away from this type of message board. Do not get me wrong as I do understand why everyone is upset and I am upset too nd I hate to see this program suck for this many years and then start all over again with a new coach and new staff. I personally think (and not to imply that what I think counts for anything) that Pruitt will not be fired this year due to the money situation but I do believe that if he can hold on to this years recruits and he makes a few coaching moves that he could pull off a few more years with the right moves.

Last edited:
Tennessee may have to put football on hold until they can find a football coach. I’d rather take a year or two off and regroup than continue to embarrass the fan base and the whole country

With some of these posters, its seriously getting to be a chore figuring out who's a troll and who seriously believes their own misguided rhetoric.
Rest assured old friend that my passion for UT runs as deep as any, and if my desire to see UT return to the perch that it was formerly so accustomed to has led me astray at times, then I apologize a million times over. But, forsooth, who has more credibility here? Folks of my ilk, or the negative nellies and the vocal minority who brayed so loudly that they were able to get Alabama/Georgia catspaw Mike Hamilton to do what no other could have ever done--namely vanquish Tennessee's greatest defender from her sidelines? Saban, Smart, and company have no better friend than Mike Hamilton.

How many East titles has UT won since CPF's unceremonious ouster, let alone SEC or national rings?? These Tennessee fans have sown discord amongst the ranks, and they have indeed reaped their just reward--nearly 2 decades of incompetence. For shame dear fellows, for shame indeed.

Reactions: peerless98

VN Store

Back