And the decommitments start

Dooley fired, Jones fired.....Pruitt next? And covering some 10 years. Remind me again why going back to a hiring/staffing process that has not only not worked for us, but a lot of other big name schools as well, is a smart thing.

Reactions: GAVol
JG won’t quit, and I kinda get it. JG’s game is much like my golf game. I can hit every shot on the golf course well enough to play at a high level... just not every time. And certainly not in front of people. But I’m going to put it all together next time out!

Let me know when and where you will do this. I will have a few people up in trees with air horns.

Reactions: VaBornVol
-DE/Athlete Jackson Smith
-Niceville Florida
-In state playoffs tonight vs Gainesville
-Attended camp at Tennessee
-Grew up a Volunteers fan
-Wants to play at Tennessee
-Anyone have any info on this late bloomer?

Please tell me who Tenn can get for $7-$8M per year? Harbough, Chip Kelly, Malzahn, Ok St coach, the fired coach from FSU, maybe even Jimbo? Maybe Freeze who is a bigger cheater than Pearl even thought about. Money is not the problem. Nobody wants to come to Tenn if they are already successful at their current school. Big time coaches do not leave a successful program, thet just get big raises. Very few coaches have shown the ability to take multiple programs to championships. One is Saban (think the LSU NC was not a great team) was and the other is Meyer.

Please, if we were serious about offering $7-8 million a year, we would have plenty of options. The reality is the AD and the president have tried to lowball every coaching seach, and as a result we've gotten crap coaches for crap salaries.

You put the world out that TN is willing to pay $7-8 million dollars, for a HC and another $7 millions for assistants, and we'll have more options than the Pruitts of CFB.

Sometimes WE fans(I most definitely include myself) just make things worse for ourselves. Now I guess we will lose this excellent recruiting class because all of our complaining. Coach Pruitt I still support you , but not Chaney !
We fans have absolutely nothing to do with player’s de-committing. The on-field product is all that is necessary.

Reactions: onevol74
Watching players get worse after entering the program, is about as bad of a look as possible from a recruiting standpoint.
I agree absolutely. At some point, the JP story will be told. I bet the theme is along the lines of a DC who was completely unprepared for a SEC head coaching job.

Sometimes WE fans(I most definitely include myself) just make things worse for ourselves. Now I guess we will lose this excellent recruiting class because all of our complaining. Coach Pruitt I still support you , but not Chaney !

The lynch mob can definitely kill a coach's ability to recruit. It's may be happening to Tennessee now and has happened previously. The mob empowered is perfectly capable of destroying a football program and blaming it on the coach. Most football fans wanted a season this yr and seemed to accept the fact that even if we had a season, it was pretty much a throw away season. There are strange outcomes to games everywhere where even good teams are having awful results(Penn State). I saw some good things happen against Auburn. The team didn't give up; they outplayed Auburn, but let five or six plays prevent a victory. They played hard for Pruitt. Remember that Pruitts classes are sophomores and freshmen. I don't know about Pruitt, but I believe in supporting him thru next yr(and I'm an old codger). I don't have that many yrs left and I'm willing to give more time since it looks like he's going to be here regardless. Some of you younger folks need to back off and relax. The internet greatly empowers the lynch mob and gives it more power than it should have. When what was a decent class is no longer, it will be due to the mob mentality more than anything else. I have seen the enemy and it's us.

And really Pruitt is very similar in recruiting to Butch, not much difference at all. Pruitt's been middle of the pack in the SEC every year when it's all finalized on signing day. He is mainly notable for having gotten us in final 2 or 3 for a lot of big fish but with a few exceptions like Henry T and Crouch, has otherwise missed on those players. Like Viper said in Top Gun, in recruiting there are no points for second place.

Nice Top Gun reference.

I agree with the comment about not being much difference between Jones and Pruitt so far.

They are going about it different and I think Pruitt is better at identifying the meat and potato guys ( linemen, defense) where Jones was better at getting the splash guys ( RB WR QB ) but the end result is about the same so far.

Both have some high profile busts and neither can translate the recruiting classes to the field.

Reactions: unfrozencvmanvol
Please, if we were serious about offering $7-8 million a year, we would have plenty of options. The reality is the AD and the president have tried to lowball every coaching seach, and as a result we've gotten crap coaches for crap salaries.

You put the world out that TN is willing to pay $7-8 million dollars, for a HC and another $7 millions for assistants, and we'll have more options than the Pruitts of CFB.

Satterfield would probably leave Louisville tomorrow for 2/3 that money.

And he has proven for a long time he can do more with less than Pruitt who apparently has to have elite talent and a mentor to field dominant defenses.

The lynch mob can definitely kill a coach's ability to recruit. It's may be happening to Tennessee now and has happened previously. The mob empowered is perfectly capable of destroying a football program and blaming it on the coach. Most football fans wanted a season this yr and seemed to accept the fact that even if we had a season, it was pretty much a throw away season. There are strange outcomes to games everywhere where even good teams are having awful results(Penn State). I saw some good things happen against Auburn. The team didn't give up; they outplayed Auburn, but let five or six plays prevent a victory. They played hard for Pruitt. Remember that Pruitts classes are sophomores and freshmen. I don't know about Pruitt, but I believe in supporting him thru next yr(and I'm an old codger). I don't have that many yrs left and I'm willing to give more time since it looks like he's going to be here regardless. Some of you younger folks need to back off and relax. The internet greatly empowers the lynch mob and gives it more power than it should have. When what was a decent class is no longer, it will be due to the mob mentality more than anything else. I have seen the enemy and it's us.

Name recruits who have not come to Tennessee because of fan sentiment towards an underperforming coach, rather than the underperforming coach himself.

I'll make some coffee while we wait.

On field product is what kills recruiting. Fans don’t put players in the NFL. Good coaching and development does. Fans can neither make CJP successful or a failure. He is the only one that can determine his future.

Reactions: onevol74
College Football News has us rated number 33 in the past five years....think about it number 33. These young men coming out of high school that are 4 and 5 star talents are being courted by every coach in the country and being told that they can take them to the pros.

Now most of them only pay attention to what has happened in the last 5 years. None of them remember or care about or past history . We have a great facility (probably top 10), good school, nice area and a passionate fan base but we have not been a steady winner in the last 10 years and most of these kids we are recruiting were 1 or 2 years old when we were good.

So with all that being said and you were in their shoes what would you do after reading the boards listening to other coaches and seeing our past hiring history and where our fired coaches are now. NONE OF THEM ARE A HEAD COACH ANYWHERE. That says a lot.

Reactions: ugg and VolFaninFla
Name recruits who have not come to Tennessee because of fan sentiment towards an underperforming coach, rather than the underperforming coach himself.

I'll make some coffee while we wait.

Likewise name some who haven't come because of Pruitt. You've labeled Pruitt as an under-performing coach. I don't think that has been determined yet. This is a throwaway season. If you and the lynch mob convince recruits that he is under-perfoming and will likely be fired before they finish their career at Tenn, then they are likely to "jump ship". I think you and yours are doing a pretty good job convincing recruits that he won't be here(they do read these boards) and thus destroying this class of recruits. Coaching continuity is pretty important to a recruit. I'll go cook dinner while I wait.

Likewise name some who haven't come because of Pruitt. You've labeled Pruitt as an under-performing coach. I don't think that has been determined yet. This is a throwaway season. If you and the lynch mob convince recruits that he is under-perfoming and will likely be fired before they finish their career at Tenn, then they are likely to "jump ship". I think you and yours are doing a pretty good job convincing recruits that he won't be here(they do read these boards) and thus destroying this class of recruits. Coaching continuity is pretty important to a recruit. I'll go cook dinner while I wait.

I'm not the one making claims that former recruits didn't come to Tennessee because fans were unhappy with a coach.

Fans saying that Pruitt isn't going to make it here is a direct result of Pruitt not getting it done on the field, not the other way around.

Name the recruits that didn't come to Tennessee because fans said mean things about, Butch, Dooley, or Fulmer.

Reactions: VolFaninFla

If your dinner is anything like your posts you might as well toss it in the garbage. There isn't a single person on this board who can convince recruits that Pruitt is an under performing coach, his results are speaking that for him. And if it was that easy for the "lynch mob" to convince players of this how effective do you think a rival coach would be at doing it? Pruitt is a good DC WHEN he has elite talent, otherwise he's shown nothing. So while he's learning on the job and losing recruits we'll continue to fall further down the hole. I'm not young and I believe in giving someone time until they've shown they can't get it done and Pruitt isn't going to get it done. Now as far as dinner, go boil some water for your hot dogs or be careful and don't burn the toast, like Pruitt I'd say you have very limited skills.

Reactions: jacvols
I'm not the one making claims that former recruits didn't come to Tennessee because fans were unhappy with a coach.

Fans saying that Pruitt isn't going to make it here is a direct result of Pruitt not getting it done on the field, not the other way around.

Name the recruits that didn't come to Tennessee because fans said mean things about, Butch, Dooley, or Fulmer.

You can't prove what you say. it's your opinion. Were they bad coaches or did the fans kill their ability to recruit? I'm still waiting on you to give names. Neither your nor my opinions can be validated scientifically. I've been following the vols a very long time(my dad used to turn on the radio and listen during the 40's and early 50's). Since then I've been round football both playing and coaching some and have had many conversations with other coaches. Butch Jones was not a bad coach. He was a hell of a good recruiter til the lynch mob turned on him, unfairly putting a bad spin on his motivational techniques and personal mannerisms causing him to lose the respect of his team and recruits. Ask Mrs Croom whether or not recruits and players read these forums. You're killing Tennessee football and you're about to do it again and don't even know you're doing it. Even if Butch and Pruitt and Dooley are not capable head coaches, you might ask yourself why the established good coaches other than the likes of Freeze and the"air raid"coach refuse to come here. And before this inane response to my comments comes in,rest assured that I'm not Butch Jones, Mrs Jones, Derek Dooley, Mrs Dooley, Phil Fulmer, Mrs Fulmer, Jeremy Pruitt, Mrs Pruitt, and infinitum ad nauseum. Ever wonder why there is a strong correlation between length of coaching tenures and the emergence of the internet? If you'll remember, I commented in my response to you that i didn't know about Pruitt yet. His tenure has not played out yet;if and when it does, replace him and move on. This is a "throw away season" that is probably masking what's really going on with many programs. For the sake of Tennessee football, think about it before you start piling on with the mob.

If your dinner is anything like your posts you might as well toss it in the garbage. There isn't a single person on this board who can convince recruits that Pruitt is an under performing coach, his results are speaking that for him. And if it was that easy for the "lynch mob" to convince players of this how effective do you think a rival coach would be at doing it? Pruitt is a good DC WHEN he has elite talent, otherwise he's shown nothing. So while he's learning on the job and losing recruits we'll continue to fall further down the hole. I'm not young and I believe in giving someone time until they've shown they can't get it done and Pruitt isn't going to get it done. Now as far as dinner, go boil some water for your hot dogs or be careful and don't burn the toast, like Pruitt I'd say you have very limited skills.

I wouldn't want to drink your coffee either. He wouldn't lose recruits if you'd keep your mouth shut.

Last edited:
Please don't try to act like we are "making room" it looks like some of the better players are losing faith.
While I believe the hot seat of Pruitt is part of the problem, Pruitts hot seat is because of his poor performance.
Damarius McGhee decommits from Tennessee

Stinks, however Pruitt's seat is 0% hot. Financially the University could not afford a buyout in this financial situation.

I stopped reading after the first sentence because I figured if the rest was as dumb as that, it wasn't worth reading..

Jeremy Pruitt is killing recruiting with his piss poor coaching. That's it, end of story, goodbye.......

VN Store

Back