Be careful what we wish for

Ruger is German, right? Very hard to beat that technology.

I know your funning.

But for those who possibly don’t know.

Ruger is an American company. Famous for their revolvers, the 10/22, and their Mark series pistols.

Their Revolvers are up there with Smith for some of the best. Their #1 rifle’s are highly sought after. Most of their pistols are solid, but budget minded. Their over under’s are very nice........but their rimfire’s are world famous (as are some of their revolvers and the #1).

someone will be successful in this job. That someone may need some time to beat Florida, Georgia, and Alabama.....but, they’ll beat Kentucky and the like immediately.

it’s year 3 and people ar nervous about a game against winless Vandy.

And they aren’t crazy either

Hard to be confident when you struggle to get in the 20's with a 5th year senior at QB. Something is wrong.

To keep trotting JG out there and doing the same thing over and over and then expecting different results is the true definition of insanity.

It’s hard to believe in him watching this same clown show week after week and there not be any changes and the same statement week after week “he gives us the best chance to win” and then lose again by double digits.

I am at a loss for words.
Totally agree. It's strange how long coach has held onto JG.

Even Kirby dumped Bennett tonight. Trevor Lawrence started as a freshman at Clemson. Jake Fromm started as a freshman at Georgia. Bailey's numbers are all up there with those guys who have performed very well.

Reactions: 08Vol
Oh I forgot about Dave Doeren. Poor guy was rejected by our snobby fans once his name was mentioned. Not so as to the reason why. I don't blame him at all for wanting to stay at NC State.
Because his head coaching record looked like Dooley's. The fan base rightfully rolled their eyes at the potential.

I'm not saying I love Jeremy Pruitt. He was dealt a bad hand with the way he took over 2018. Several losses that should have been wins (GA State, BYU, KY, Arkansas, Auburn) and we keep getting blown out in the second half of games. And not to mention the inexplicable handing with JG.

However, with all the 'fire Pruitt' talk...let's take a minute to compare how the other coaches have fared since 2018 that were in the running for the UTK HC position three short years ago:

Coach -- Wins-Losses -- Winning %
Dan Mullen -- 27-6 -- 82%
Mike Gundy -- 20-12 -- 63%
Mike Leach -- 19-13 -- 59%
Dave Doeren -- 19-15 -- 56%
Jeremy Pruitt -- 15-17 -- 47%
David Cutcliffe -- 15-18 -- 45%
Jeff Brohm -- 12-17 -- 41%
Mel Tucker -- 6-10 -- 38%
Kevin Sumlin -- 9-16 -- 36%
Scott Frost -- 10-18 -- 36%
Chip Kelly -- 8-19 -- 30%
Greg Schiano -- 1-3 -- 25%
Les Miles -- 3-15 -- 17%

Couple of things stand out...

#1 - If UT is not careful, they will continue to place the school in a position that is 'undesirable' or toxic for coaches. Who wants to come be a part of this rabid, unforgiving, unsupportive, and unreasonable fan base?
#2 - It's really hard to hire good coaches
#3 - Be patient. It does take time to recruit and turn things around. Dooley killed the program. Jones killed the culture.
#4 - CJP does have some growing up in the position to do. But I don't think he is as bad as the record shows.
A lot of those coaches in the lower half are still better than Pruitt but their teams suck. Les Miles at Kansas for example

Do what? I haven’t checked schedules but I find that hard to believe.
Dooley had 4-game losing streaks broken each year by a cupcake.

I was wrong...Jones played 5 in a row several years and never lost 5 in a row. Several 4-game skids but never five (and there were 5 or 6 SEC opponents in a row three times).

Reactions: hUTch2002
Because his head coaching record looked like Dooley's. The fan base rightfully rolled their eyes at the potential.

A sizable portion of NC State's fanbase was hoping that we'd take him.

He's 26-38 in the ACC, I'm not seeeing much of a difference between him and Pruitt in terms of winning in their respective conferences.

I'm not saying I love Jeremy Pruitt. He was dealt a bad hand with the way he took over 2018. Several losses that should have been wins (GA State, BYU, KY, Arkansas, Auburn) and we keep getting blown out in the second half of games. And not to mention the inexplicable handing with JG.

However, with all the 'fire Pruitt' talk...let's take a minute to compare how the other coaches have fared since 2018 that were in the running for the UTK HC position three short years ago:

Les Miles -- 3-15 -- 17%

#1 - If UT is not careful, they will continue to place the school in a position that is 'undesirable' or toxic for coaches. Who wants to come be a part of this rabid, unforgiving, unsupportive, and unreasonable fan base?
#3 - Be patient. It does take time to recruit and turn things around. Dooley killed the program. Jones killed the culture.
#4 - CJP does have some growing up in the position to do. But I don't think he is as bad as the record shows.
Rant Incoming...

I'll respond to you're numbered points in order.

#1 A "rabid" fanbase is generally considered to be a good thing. I don't see how we've been unforgiving considering how last year started and the enthusiasm generated by the way it ended. There are several catastrophic losses in the tenures of Dooley, Jones, and Pruitt that the fans forgave. As to unsupportive, you might want to look at attendance and revenue numbers with the last 3 coaches. The fans have supported the team. I keep hearing that we're unreasonable. The majority of the fanbase asks for a bowl by year 2, improvement after that, and not getting blown out when there isn't a large talent gap. If this make us "toxic and undesirable", I guess we are.

#2 It is really hard to hire a good coach. That's true for everyone.

#3 We've been patient. That doesn't mean there are no expectations in year 3. The team has regressed to a point that we're not even good, at what we were good at last year, and the first half of last year was a train wreck.

#4 Pruitt has shown himself to be obstinate and stubborn to an absurd degree. He's stubbed up even more as things have gotten worse. He's a grown ass man, not a kid.

TLDR: I think Pruitt should be fired asap.

someone will be successful in this job. That someone may need some time to beat Florida, Georgia, and Alabama.....but, they’ll beat Kentucky and the like immediately.

it’s year 3 and people ar nervous about a game against winless Vandy.

And they aren’t crazy either
Gator fan has more sense than some in our fan base.

The team outplayed Auburn. Who here thought that possible after last week?

Stability is something the football team needs, and no coach wanted the job a few years ago. Safe to say that the job will be more attractive than last time. 2020 has been a nightmare on some real levels.

Pruitt's personality pisses a lot of people off, and he's getting well versed in coach speak I guess. He just needs to consistently bring in quality talent that's gonna give their all for Tennessee and he'll have helped more than any coach in 15 years.

Mason will be coaching for his job next week and the fact that Tennessee has allowed a season to deteriorate to the Vanderbilt level should result in wholesale terminations but for the horrible contracts and unwarranted extensions put in place by Fulmer. The 2020 season has exposed a number of weak head coaches in the SEC, Pruitt being the saddest, taking a 2-0, number 12 ranking and running the season into the ground, this season there were no buy games to hide behind to pad the record (assuming he could coach wins in those games is a stretch), being head coach of a competitive program in the SEC requires a special skill set and hungry assistant coaches who know the college game, a skill set which Pruitt does not have and a skill set which Fulmer lost in 2001.

Reactions: tbh and 08Vol
I appreciate your optimism, but Pittman has Arkansas playing better than us with 3 stars, Allen has Indiana playing better than us with 3 stars, Freeze and Chadwell (easier schedule I know) have their respective schools playing better than us with 2-3 stars.

The issue is that on paper our team is loaded with talent. They just aren’t being developed or used properly.

Les Miles -- 3-15 -- 17%

We are not talking about just losses. These are double digit losses.
The pattern exhibited in these losses is unexplainable. Not just on JG and JP, but our secondary is not improving, lb play shows lack of coaching. Play calling is pathetic.
I won't write a dissertation on the rest of the problems.

The Pruitt defenders...wtf. I have never coached a down of football and I am literally blind in one eye and even I can see he's in over his head. Newsflash: he is incapable of coaching at this level.

I don't understand being content with terrible. With this staff, the very best we could possibly shoot for is mediocrity.
EDIT: YES, THAT INCLUDES THE AD

Mason will be coaching for his job next week and the fact that Tennessee has allowed a season to deteriorate to the Vanderbilt level should result in wholesale terminations but for the horrible contracts and unwarranted extensions put in place by Fulmer. The 2020 season has exposed a number of weak head coaches in the SEC, Pruitt being the saddest, taking a 2-0, number 12 ranking and running the season into the ground, this season there were no buy games to hide behind to pad the record (assuming he could coach wins in those games is a stretch), being head coach of a competitive program in the SEC requires a special skill set and hungry assistant coaches who know the college game, a skill set which Pruitt does not have and a skill set which Fulmer lost in 2001.

Sorry for the big rant here my real frustration here is with the state of the program. Why be all excited over a fake ranking and then upset that it was lost? It was never a real ranking. It pisses me off how the media props us up when we're nothing but a paper tiger. I'm sick and tired that we lose to teams we should always beat and never beat any ranked teams. We get owned by our main rivals in losing streaks measured by decade length to the point most of their fans don't even see the rivalry. Hell I don't even consider Alabama, Florida or Georgia rival games. We're just another Vandy for them. An automatic win. Vandy is our main rivalry now. How in the **** does a team like that which has proven nothing get ranked? Run up an 8 win somewhat lucky streak against mediocre teams we should beat anyways?

Pruitt has got to go. We will keep losing recruits to other teams when they see us get blown out every weekend. Florida is about to go back to being a top 10 team annually and we need somebody to come here and catch us up with that and the rest of the conference. If we keep Pruitt for much longer, it will take us forever to get back to national relevance and we will officially take Vandy’s place as a conference doormat.

VN Store

Back