Be careful what we wish for

Oh Boy....Let me have a Drink or two or three or a bottle and think about it....

My wife locked the guns up....so it will be alright...

You’ve got a point. Why go through the expense of hiring/firing someone who may do worse when we can just sit back and progressively get worse under Pruitt.

On a side note, the only coach you listed that HC’ed another down in college football after UT was Kiffin. And if you think any of the guys we fired needed more time, we can give it to them because every single coach we’ve fired is still available
Great point. And he’s going to be in demand.

Reactions: chvolman
So what's your answer, keep rewarding a coach with raises and extensions even though he is failing because you are afraid of hiring a coach who might also fail?

How exactly is that supposed to reverse the trend?
The only way to reverse the trend at this point would be to hit a royal flush. And that would mean someone like Freeze accepting the job behind closed doors BEFORE firing the current HC. Unless we have some kind of an agreement with a Grand Slam Hire, we simply cannot continue to keep going through the same process over and over again.

Based off what he walked into pruitt deserves one more year to put another nice class together. He must really make massive strides in year 4 though in my opinion. No more excuses after that. If he loses to big boys it better be close in well coached and hard fought games tight in scoring to deserve a year 5. 8 and 4 will not cut it
He is not going to put a nice class together anymore. Plus he has already demonstrated that he is not HC material during the 5 game losing streak. He may not be fired but he deserves to be fired immediately. He is primarily responsible for three losses to inferior talented teams. Under most circumstances he would of been fired after the Auburn game.

Reactions: tastycar
The only way to reverse the trend at this point would be to hit a royal flush. And that would mean someone like Freeze accepting the job behind closed doors BEFORE firing the current HC. Unless we have some kind of an agreement with a Grand Slam Hire, we simply cannot continue to keep going through the same process over and over again.

That's not how this business works. Freeze or any coach saying behind closed doors, is not the same as signed contract, and until Pruitt is fired, the school cannot offer a contract to another coach.

So I ask again, what do we do? Just shrug our shoulders and keep contributing to the generational wealth of Pruitt's great grandkids while we watch him break the worst records possible at UT?

Reactions: tastycar
I think I’m more disgusted with the immaturity of our fan base and resorting to childish name calling. I feel like The Godfather when he slapped a sniffling Johnny Fontaine when he said to The Godfather “I don’t know what to do”? The Godfather told him “You’ll act like a man”! JMO

Where’s Benny Hinn........maybe he could smite the demons out of Tennessee.

View attachment 325059
We need Benny Hinn, but instead got Benny Hill
giphy.gif

Reactions: JoAllan
Just throwing my opinion out here, like the rest of my fellow Vol fans. Coach Pruitt will never beat Bama, Georgia or Florida... NEVER! We have regressed badly... We lost to KENTUCKY by 4 touchdowns! Worst defeat to UK in football since 1935! 1935 - 3 years before my late Father, The Good Lord rest his soul, was born! 1935 - The year ELVIS was born! I didn't think it could get worse than losing to Kentucky, but wow, it sure enough did... I believe Pruitt is a good recruiter, but his X and O, and strategy of the game is very lacking. It is easy to be successful at Bama and Georgia with their players.. So far, he has shown no ability to "coach em up"... About a month ago, people on here were trying to compare his start to JOHNNY MAJORS!! Pruitt will never be Majors! EVER! He will not win SEC Championships, Majors did, Pruitt will not win the National Title, Majors did at Pittsburgh in 1976. I will be 54 in January, Lord willing, and my opinion is Pruitt cannot get it done here. YES, I know, he won't be fired after this season, blah, blah, blah.. but I swear, these young Tennessee fans must just be used to losing since they have grown up with it. They have no idea or conception of the FACT that Tennessee Football used to be badass, and I'm not talking about just the 1990's... I became a fan in 1972... We were always pretty good, and even when we were bad, we could rise up and whips someone's butt, like Notre Dame in 1979.. This team has no fire or will to win!! They have no gumption or guts! These young men need to show some pride, and quit accepting losing... And their coaches need to get their heads out of their butts and start working much harder for the money they make, which is way too much in my opinion, based on the poor on field results of this year. Thanks for your time and GBO!

You're right. CJP isn't as bad as his record shows. He's worse. He can thank Jennings, Callaway, Bituli and Warrior for helping him eek out wins last year he had no business winning

Reactions: Ledzepvol
I'm not saying I love Jeremy Pruitt. He was dealt a bad hand with the way he took over 2018. Several losses that should have been wins (GA State, BYU, KY, Arkansas, Auburn) and we keep getting blown out in the second half of games. And not to mention the inexplicable handing with JG.

However, with all the 'fire Pruitt' talk...let's take a minute to compare how the other coaches have fared since 2018 that were in the running for the UTK HC position three short years ago:

Coach -- Wins-Losses -- Winning %
Dan Mullen -- 27-6 -- 82%
Mike Gundy -- 20-12 -- 63%
Mike Leach -- 19-13 -- 59%
Dave Doeren -- 19-15 -- 56%
Jeremy Pruitt -- 15-17 -- 47%
David Cutcliffe -- 15-18 -- 45%
Jeff Brohm -- 12-17 -- 41%
Mel Tucker -- 6-10 -- 38%
Kevin Sumlin -- 9-16 -- 36%
Scott Frost -- 10-18 -- 36%
Chip Kelly -- 8-19 -- 30%
Greg Schiano -- 1-3 -- 25%
Les Miles -- 3-15 -- 17%

Couple of things stand out...

#1 - If UT is not careful, they will continue to place the school in a position that is 'undesirable' or toxic for coaches. Who wants to come be a part of this rabid, unforgiving, unsupportive, and unreasonable fan base?
#2 - It's really hard to hire good coaches
#3 - Be patient. It does take time to recruit and turn things around. Dooley killed the program. Jones killed the culture.
#4 - CJP does have some growing up in the position to do. But I don't think he is as bad as the record shows.
giphy.gif

I didn't wish for this when they hired him nearly 3 seasons ago. I wished for being back. In year 3 at a place like UT, most top coaches would have them back....

Dan Mullen should've been the hire. Yes, Florida is more attractive talent wise in own back yard. But Tennessee had a chance to out bid UF and UT lost that too. So good at losing to our rivals and it's about to happen again when USCjr hires Freeze when UT has a chance to do it now.

Based off what he walked into pruitt deserves one more year to put another nice class together. He must really make massive strides in year 4 though in my opinion. No more excuses after that. If he loses to big boys it better be close in well coached and hard fought games tight in scoring to deserve a year 5. 8 and 4 will not cut it

You realize this class is about to fall apart?

I'm not saying I love Jeremy Pruitt. He was dealt a bad hand with the way he took over 2018. Several losses that should have been wins (GA State, BYU, KY, Arkansas, Auburn) and we keep getting blown out in the second half of games. And not to mention the inexplicable handing with JG.

However, with all the 'fire Pruitt' talk...let's take a minute to compare how the other coaches have fared since 2018 that were in the running for the UTK HC position three short years ago:

Coach -- Wins-Losses -- Winning %
Dan Mullen -- 27-6 -- 82%
Mike Gundy -- 20-12 -- 63%
Mike Leach -- 19-13 -- 59%
Dave Doeren -- 19-15 -- 56%
Jeremy Pruitt -- 15-17 -- 47%
David Cutcliffe -- 15-18 -- 45%
Jeff Brohm -- 12-17 -- 41%
Mel Tucker -- 6-10 -- 38%
Kevin Sumlin -- 9-16 -- 36%
Scott Frost -- 10-18 -- 36%
Chip Kelly -- 8-19 -- 30%
Greg Schiano -- 1-3 -- 25%
Les Miles -- 3-15 -- 17%

Couple of things stand out...

#1 - If UT is not careful, they will continue to place the school in a position that is 'undesirable' or toxic for coaches. Who wants to come be a part of this rabid, unforgiving, unsupportive, and unreasonable fan base?
#3 - Be patient. It does take time to recruit and turn things around. Dooley killed the program. Jones killed the culture.
#4 - CJP does have some growing up in the position to do. But I don't think he is as bad as the record shows.

☝️ This is so accurate. Glad to see I’m on the only person that feels this way. I am not absolutely not pleased with the performance of the program, but we need to be careful what we wish for. We could very easily cause the spiral to continue.

Reactions: casual-observer
He is actually worse than his record shows. The Indiana bowl game last year was a lucky win. CJP has to go by the end of the season. We are going to lose recruits which is the only way we can get back to relevancy and Pruitt is definitely not going to over achieve with lesser talent. It’s a tough pill to swallow but that is where the program is now.
I don't really agree; the luck was when the ball bounced off of the USC players leg on the punt near the end of the game 2020.

This is simply a perpetuated false narrative. The only fanbases in the country that just smile and take it when their team is down are the ones with zero expectations. Unless a coach is taking a job of a coach retiring, they are taking the job of someone who just got fired. Coaches are fired all the time and other guys step in. It's part of the culture. Not to mention that they are probably going sign for 10s of millions of dollars of guaranteed money, regardless of their performance.

Yes, but it's even harder to sit idle when you have a bad one. Standing pat with a bad coach out of fear of hiring another one is absurd. If you picked a rotten apple of of the basket, would you just continue to eat it out of fear of picking another one?

I have no issue with letting a coach stick around as long as you're seeing progress. If you just look at the SEC core that they play every year, he's looking to go from 5-3 in year two to 3-5 (at best) in year three. That is regression. What have to seen that leads you to think the team is improving, but it is not reflected in the results?

“You are what your record says you are.” -- Bill Parcells

“You lose with potential. You win with performance.” -- Bill Parcells

I think I’m more disgusted with the immaturity of our fan base and resorting to childish name calling. I feel like The Godfather when he slapped a sniffling Johnny Fontaine when he said to The Godfather “I don’t know what to do”? The Godfather told him “You’ll act like a man”! JMO
I believe it is Pruitt who needs to act like a man and stop being gullible and naive. He should have made a grownup decision about two years ago and benched JG and let the other Qb’s on the roster develop. We would be reaping the benefits this season instead of being in a worst position than we were two years ago.

Edit: Forgot to name-call. Pruitt is the biggest dumba** coach I have seen in 50 years.

Haha....
I believe it is Pruitt who needs to act like a man and stop being gullible and naive. He should have made a grownup decision about two years ago and benched JG and let the other Qb’s on the roster develop. We would be reaping the benefits this season instead of being in a worst position than we were two years ago.

Edit: Forgot to name-call. Pruitt is the biggest dumba** coach I have seen in 50 years.[/QUOTE
Haha...I think it court the prosecution at this point would say...”I REST MY CASE”!!! 😂😂😂😂

☝️ This is so accurate. Glad to see I’m on the only person that feels this way. I am not absolutely not pleased with the performance of the program, but we need to be careful what we wish for. We could very easily cause the spiral to continue.

Please elaborate on how we as fans, watching this decade-plus long dumpster fire, can negatively impact Pruitt's ability to coach.

Reactions: ABINGDON VOL FAN

VN Store

Back